WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
WA, USA

Hails from United States
Ugly Chickadee

Hey everyone - I know I'm posting a lot, but I blame y'all - you're much too inspiring.

I did this over the weekend, and I don't like it. I don't mind producing an ugly painting now and then, but I consider it a loss unless I can learn from it. I can't learn from this one until I figure out why I hate it.

I need your help. Would you tell me what you like and dislike about this one? I've overworked it already, and I think the bird is OK, but the leaves look like sweet potatoes. Please help! And be harsh, or I won't learn a thing.

Thanks very much.
Meg

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2007, 10:11 PM
New England, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Ugly Chickadee

My little chickadee is nice. You're right about the sweet potato leaves. If it can be done, what about changing some of the leaves on the left, so they are not so similar to each other in shape and color?

I like the way you have the chickadee positioned and also how your eye travels around the painting, so be careful not to lose those aspects as part of your focus.

Janice
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2007, 10:54 PM
A Local Legend
Liberty Hill, Texas

Hails from United States

Meg, I hope you don't mind, but I threw this into PS and played for just a few seconds. One thing that bothers me is the color and regular shape of the leaves. I know you're trying to stay with a limited palette here, but a light touch of color wouldn't hurt. That bird is beautiful, and I think if you did it right, you wouldn't lose him as the focus. I've just given the leaves a little variation in shape, not trying to be realistic, and the color may be a bit bright, but hopefully you get the idea. Just a soft touch of green, just a suggestion of leaves. You need the shapes to balance out the picture, but you don't want them to be noticed. I know how hard it is to work over gouache, but if you use a very light touch, you might be able to pull it off. Just a suggestion. Others may not agree with me, but it's just a thought. The bird and the limbs are wonderful!

My Art Showcase blog: www.ralphparkerart.wordpress.com
My Everything Else blog: www.ralphparker.wordpress.com

Last edited by Old Tex : 04-02-2007 at 11:05 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
WA, USA

Hails from United States

Thank you both!

Janice - Thanks for the composition compliment. It encourages me that maybe I only need to fix something small to make the painting work? I hadn't noticed how similar all the leaves were in shape & size. About the color - I had them brigher yellow, but they were stealing focus - hence the blah. My sister says they look like flying yam-aliens.

Ralph - Thanks so much for the paintover! Your leaf composition and color looks a lot better. Amazing what a fresh pair of eyes can see. I was trying to copy the reference, whose composition is good, but I executed it poorly. I'll try lifting the old leaves off and starting over. I'll try a hint of green, but I wonder how it'll harmonize with the rest of the painting? Maybe put some of the green into the branches? I loved the light yellow leaf color in the ref, but it was drawing too much attention.

I'm glad you guys like the bird. Since both of you mentioned the leaves, I'm going to tackle them, and I hope that fixes the painting... or at least makes me hate it less. At this point, I think I'll be happy as long as they don't look like tubers. I really appreciate your help.

Meg
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Lord of the Arts
The Land of the Moonrakers

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi Meg. I agree, the bird looks fine - those leaves just need a bit more tweaking. I had to laugh at your suggestion of "sweet potato" leaves. Look forward to seeing how you solve the problem.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member
Land of Rain

Hails from United States

Yes, the leaves look like sweet potatoes, and it gives the painting character. I actually like it the way it is now.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2007, 01:03 PM

I think your problem with the leaves is not so much the color but the shading you have them shaded sort of tubular instead of flat, may help also to add some veins in the leaves. Love the bird, overall a nice piece
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Calgary

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitepainter
I think your problem with the leaves is not so much the color but the shading you have them shaded sort of tubular instead of flat, may help also to add some veins in the leaves. Love the bird, overall a nice piece

That's the ticket.
I liked the whole thing from the get-go (a lot - I liked it a lot), but if you want those to look like leaves, it's about looking at how shading and highlights act on flat leaves.

... I thought they were seedpods, and liked them immensely for their shape My vote is don't change a thing, but maybe try a study of some leaves, to satisfy your desire to learn.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
WA, USA

Hails from United States

Wow, thanks for the advice, everyone!

Silent Jaguar and Dueck - I'm flattered that you both liked it as it was. However, I didn't like it, so I really wanted to change something. Makes you think about where artistic obligation lies - is the art for me or for all of you? Or both?

Ah, enough esoterics. I changed the leaves. They were definitely too tubular. The reference was of old leaves from last fall that never fell off the tree, so they were droopy. They were also blurry. I am learning good lessons about what to use from the ref and what to change to make it work. Thank you everyone for helping me see what was bothering me.

I like it better now. Not a ton, but enough. You can see the areas of background where the old leaves were - they didn't take to reworking very well. If you have more suggestions, please let me know! But if I need to rework the background more, I'll have to make up a new batch of color that might not match. Hmm.

Meg
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2007, 09:46 PM
New England, USA

Hails from United States

Yes I like the leaves much better now that they no longer resemble the dreaded yam-aliens.

Nice piece!

Janice
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2007, 11:23 PM
Resting in Peace
GA, USA

Hails from United States

Definitely a major improvement. Just a personal feeling, but I would like to see the lower branch a darker colors. Try that out in Photoshop or such and see if you like it before doing anything real.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
WA, USA

Hails from United States

Connie -

Thanks for the suggestion! I think I agree. I'll try it digitally. The branch matched the painting better when the leaves were orange, and I tried to put some greens in it, but it could probably use more definition with a darker value.

Meg