WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Works Lobby
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Madison, WI

Hails from United States
Questions about shipping to Canada/customs

So, last month, I took the plunge and started selling on eBay. I have a bidder who just won several auctions, who is in Canada (I'm in the US). This will be the second time I've shipped anything to Canada. The bidder paid promptly with PayPal, but left a message requesting that I not put a receipt inside when I mail the beads. Could this be a scam? Or something shady?

I plan to take the beads to the post office to ship (paypal wants to charge me an arm and a leg more than the post office's actual USPS Airmail Letter Post cost), fill out the Customs form 2976 as required, and I was going to check 'Other' for the contents, and under the description, write 'Three Glass Bead Sets' with the value as the actual final auction price. Having so little experience with customs, am I filling out the customs form correctly (should I check 'commercial sample' instead of 'other'?) And if I don't include a receipt, does that make me more susceptible to fraud? This customer has a very high feedback rating, with no negatives.
I'm hoping to ship this afternoon, so if anyone has information, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

-=Maggs=-
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Lord of the Arts
Charleston SC

Hails from United States
Re: Questions about shipping to Canada/customs

Well Maggie... as long as the beads cost less than $100 (I think that's the limit) then the Canadian buyer won't pay IMPORT TAXES ... order some glass from Canada... and get popped for DOUBLE the value of the glass in import taxes and broker fees and you'll have a little pity on the poor woman that bought your beads. If you'd like to sell her stuff in future, help her out... she'll appreciate it I'm sure.

My Blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 01:13 PM
A Local Legend
Cereal City/Battle Creek, MI

Hails from United States

Maggie....I package them, fill out the slip, put other and the actual cost of the beads. I do include a reciept! I have run across buyers that want me to put down that they are a gift, but nope, that doesn't happen. I follow the rules, I live in a small town and my mail people know what I do, why make problems for myself.

Good Luck and enjoy swimming in the Bay!
Dilly
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Not a scam, well kinda. We get hit with anything. It does not have to be under a hundred. I get hit all the time with orders, even 50 dollar orders end up costing me a hundred after duty, taxes and exchange.

I put on my forms that it is a gift with a value of under 25.00, that way you don't end up getting hit.

If you want the customer to come back, then you will do it, if you don't care, then be honest.

I have just stopped buying from US suppliers this week. I got hit one too many times. Sorry but it does not make sense to me to pay double and sometimes triple for glass product, when I can get it here. All I have to do is ask a supplier to get it for me. I have to wait a bit, but thats better than paying 100 bucks for a 50 dollar order.

My Blog

Last edited by Chapter1 : 03-26-2007 at 01:18 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Madison, WI

Hails from United States

Thanks for your input everyone. I put the value of the beads on the customs form (it came to less than $100), and a brief personal note with her address and mine, but not the prices. I'll email her the actual invoice (well, actually, eBay will do that automatically for me). I'm more than willing to try to help minimize the customs fees, I just wanted to also minimize my risk as the seller, and just in case, heaven forbid, the padded envelope is damaged in the mail, hopefully the note will help keep everything together.

-=Maggs=-
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Aberdeenshire, Scotland

Hails from Scotland

I know from the UK to the States, we pay less if there is a letter in the parcel. So a note is a good idea!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 04:44 PM
A Local Legend
motor city

Hails from United States

Just be aware it can weeks to get a package delivered to a Canadian address. I shipped a package to G.B. on a Sat & it arrived the following Tues. I sent a similar package to Ontario on the same day- literally across the river, & it took almost 2 weeks to be delivered.
SPALDING STUDIO
my blog
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Edmonton, AB

Hails from Canada

Our postal service has reqally gone down hill lately. I've had packages sent from within canada...sent xpress post taking over a week!

I've really slowed down on my purchases coming from the US because I'm usually dinged between 10-35% for duties and custom fees! It's just getting ridiculous.

I bought some items on Ebay, the nice lady i bought from sent me an envelope with the receipt in it, a couple days later I got my item wrapped with a bow and a thank you card.

Yah I know it's fraud, but until customs can come up with a regulated rate...

Just curious there the same problem for canadians shipping south? Do our American friends get it as bad as we do?
Check out the blog for E-bay listings...
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 05:52 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Longmont, Colorado

Hails from United States

I would fill out the customs form with the correct information. The way you described you are filling it out is totally correct.

I wouldn't have a problem with not including a receipt in the package - that is not required as far as I know.

However, if you mark the package as a gift and you are caught you will be subject to huge fines. It is a federal crime to knowingly lie on a customs form. I would rather lose a customer than do this. It really is not our problem that Canada has such high import fees. And, believe me it will be really easy for them to prove that the person purchased the item from you on eBay and paid you with PayPal. Don't take the chance.

I have had several Canadian jewelry designers order several hundred dollars worth of beads from me and I always fill out the customs forms correctly. They have purchased from me more than once. So I am assuming they know how to run their business in a professional manner that allows for the fact that they will be charged custom's fees.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Victoria BC

Hails from Canada

Quote:

Just curious there the same problem for canadians shipping south? Do our American friends get it as bad as we do?

There's always been a problem shipping from Canada into the US but since the Patriot Act, it's become a nightmare. They want to open and inspect just about everything. We recently shipped a box of cullet (bits of scrap glass) that arrived as an empty box. Yup. They removed the contents and forwarded the empty box for delivery.

We stopped shipping from Canada to the U.S. years ago and now handle U.S. business exclusively by taking the orders personally into the U.S. and then shipping from there. We do the same for everything we bring up from there. Doing your own customs clearance is easy both directions but shipping is a problem either way.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBethC

I have had several Canadian jewelry designers order several hundred dollars worth of beads from me and I always fill out the customs forms correctly. They have purchased from me more than once. So I am assuming they know how to run their business in a professional manner that allows for the fact that they will be charged custom's fees.

Thats fine for them as a business. Being a business They most likely have an import license if they are doing that amount of purchasing. That license costs a lot of money and for a little guy like me that would make it impossible. That license allows them to dodge the duty and taxes as a re-seller. It does nothing for someone like me. These people more than likely fall under the Free Trade Act. The little guy like me, does not. We get hit while the big guys get off scott free. THAT should be illegal.

My Blog

Last edited by Chapter1 : 03-26-2007 at 08:40 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 11:29 PM
Victoria BC

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter1
Thats fine for them as a business. Being a business They most likely have an import license if they are doing that amount of purchasing. That license costs a lot of money and for a little guy like me that would make it impossible. That license allows them to dodge the duty and taxes as a re-seller. It does nothing for someone like me. These people more than likely fall under the Free Trade Act. The little guy like me, does not. We get hit while the big guys get off scott free. THAT should be illegal.

Businesses that do their own customs clearance have a Business number that coincides with their GST number, but that's required and used ONLY if the business does their own import customs clearance. Most don't even know how to do that and have to use a Customs Broker. Neither licence makes any difference to duty and taxes and both the BN and GST licence are free. If your business revenue is less than $30,000/yr, you aren't required to have a GST licence, but regardless of income size, you must have a BN to do your own customs clearance. Nobody gets to dodge taxes - everybody pays GST - and under NAFTA there is no duty on anything made in the U.S.A. There is however a 7% excise tax on jewelry. The odds on it coming through without customs demanding that tax is CONSIDERABLY greater for an individual than a business. A business will ALWAYS get hit with that excise tax.

It's actually easier for individuals importing small orders. You just pay the GST and that's it. Business are usually required to pay for a customs broker to do customs clearance. Brokerage fees can easily be as high as the value of the shipment. For that reason, I frequently have U.S. orders sent to me personally instead of to the business. The last order of findings I got from Rio Grande, I just paid the GST when I picked it up at the Post Office.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2007, 11:45 PM
Longmont, Colorado

Hails from United States

Again, not my problem. I'm not willing to commit a felony to save someone I don't know a couple of bucks
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2007, 04:46 AM

Hails from Northern Ireland

All the buyer asked was that a receipt not be included--she's not asking anybody to commit fraud. It is a slightly odd request, but it doesn't mean she's trying to scam you or anything. It could just be that she doesn't want her spouse to know how much she spent on beads!
My artfire
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2018, 06:06 PM

It's counter intuitive for any customs broker to avoid emitting receipts, not to mention fiscally irresponsible.