WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
WA, USA

Hails from United States
Chicago Skyline - Gouache

Well, here's the landscape. It's my first, and I'm really not happy with it. At least I tried.

This is Sennelier hot-pressed cotton watercolor paper. It's some weird size, roughly 9.5x4.5". I love the hot press surface! It held up really well and didn't buckle (it came as a block).

Please criticize; let me know how to improve it. I can't put my finger on *why* I don't like it, so help me if you can!

Thanks,
Meg

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Resting in Peace
GA, USA

Hails from United States
Re: Chicago Skyline - Gouache

The colors all go well together, not sure what you don't like. But my idea of a city includes lots of pollution, not something this clean!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2007, 06:44 PM

I like it, for pollution the cloud could perhaps be a a bit greyer if thats what u wanted. I think the clouds seem to 'hug' the buildings a little, specially the tall on on the far left. I relaly like the colours and I'd be pealsed with this!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
WA, USA

Hails from United States

Thanks for your comments!

Connie, I'm glad you like the colors. I wasn't sure if they were working. But I *had* to use blue and orange, for the Chicago Bears. And as soon as you mentioned pollution, I realized that it was strange... but none of my reference photos showed smog! They were all clear, blue days at dawn, though... and Lake Michigan generally keeps the smog from getting too bad in this lovely city.

Rikc, I think you're right about smog colors. I could add a bit of grey-brown near the horizon. As for the clouds, I wasn't really going for clouds per se, I just laid the color down in uneven washes to see what kind of textural effects I could get, like Ralph. I used vertical brushstrokes, and that's probably why the white areas "hug" the buildings. It is distracting, composition-wise, and I hadn't noticed it. Thanks for pointing it out! Next time I'll be more careful about the sky's contribution to composition.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

It needs a kangaroo somewhere...
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
WA, USA

Hails from United States

Ha! You know, my boyfriend looked at it and said, "It's sorta boring. It could use a falling station wagon full of Illinois Nazis." You know, from the Blues Brothers? I was really tempted... but it wouldn't be more than a tiny speck in the sky.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2007, 09:44 PM
A Local Legend
Liberty Hill, Texas

Hails from United States

Hey there, Meg. Was out of town over the weekend, so haven't had a chance to look until now. I haven't done any structures yet, so you're ahead of me.

I like it! I really like the colors in the buildings. And I like the sky colors. Next time, lay your sky strokes down in a more random pattern (random directions) & try to avoid strictly vertical or horizontal strokes... and maybe shorter, quicker strokes. I like the fact that you played with it. Keep it up!

My Art Showcase blog: www.ralphparkerart.wordpress.com
My Everything Else blog: www.ralphparker.wordpress.com
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2007, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member

Old Tex, what an interesting observation!!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2007, 10:42 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Meg, I love hot press watercolor paper in block form for gouache too! Just be sure to keep it flat to decrease the risk of cracking. I usually mat them right away to keep them stable.

I like this piece a lot. The color complements are really working for you in the light and shadow, and you threw a little of the green onto the buildings to unify the color. Good job with that!

Jamie
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2007, 01:13 PM
A Local Legend
Liberty Hill, Texas

Hails from United States

Marie... We've talked a bit about different brush work for skies in gouache to fight the streaking effect. Hopefully you (and Meg) understood it as a positive suggestion.

My Art Showcase blog: www.ralphparkerart.wordpress.com
My Everything Else blog: www.ralphparker.wordpress.com
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

Did that come off as sarcastic? I hope not, as it was sincere! I get so caught up in other things - composition, making shapes, choosing/mixing colors etc. that I forget about brushwork. Which is interesting, becasue if I was working in oils it would be on my mind all the time.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2007, 07:24 PM
New England, USA

Hails from United States

Meg,

I like your painting. The colors are a nice blend. They make Chicago look warm, which, I know that's not the case in the winter. I like the crispness of your lines. I'd go crazy trying to paint that. I prefer the complete chaos of landscape painting or maybe I should say the chaos I create painting a landscape, both theories work, here.

However, I'm fascinated by the thought of a carload of illinois nazis falling from the sky. It's a great idea and it did work well in the Blues Brothers. You might think about the possibility of incorporating the idea into a future painting?

Janice
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
WA, USA

Hails from United States

Ralph - I'm glad you like it. I'll definitely try your sky suggestions next time! I'm interested in how the short, random brush strokes work in both washy and opaque application. I'm guessing with the wash, it'd end up more even overall. Can't wait to try both flavors - smooth sky and chunky sky.

Jamie - Glad you like it too! The green in the buildings started out as an accident. I overlapped the blue and orange, and got green. And this piece stayed nice and flat because I weighted it down. I'd love to mat it... but this must be a standard European size?? (24.5cm x 10.5cm) and I don't know where to get a mat that fits, unless I get one custom made. Any suggestions?

Marie - I know what you mean about having so many things to remember. If I tried to remember everything while painting, I'd never be able to even start. I guess I'm just going to have to learn the lessons the hard way, one at a time.

Janice - Glad you like it as well! This was definitely a summer scene - I needed something warm. And next time I do a Chicago scene, I'm going to have to put a Blues Brothers homage in. I've always liked that weird-looking Picasso sculpture...

Thanks everyone! I feel a bit better about this one now - can't be as bad as I thought if you all think it's OK. And when I showed my Chicagoan family, the first thing they said was that it would sell... as opposed to, say, kangaroos playing soccer.

Meg
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2007, 03:41 AM
Central Illinois

Hails from United States

Meg I really like it. I've never tempted to paint this type of skyline before.
I think it's beautiful.
The only thing I question is-should you be able to see just a bit of sand for the shore line. It appears the grass & water are together. IMO
Can I ask what kind & form of water color you used?
Laura
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
WA, USA

Hails from United States

Laura,

Thanks very much! About the sand - the various parts of the Chicago lakefront have rocks, concrete walls, and marinas, but very little sand. You have a good eye, because there was a marina in the ref that I left out. Mostly because, at my current level of execution, I didn't think it would add anything (aka it looked hard and I thought I'd mess it up). Next time I'll give it a try.

I used artist's gouache - Holbein, Winsor & Newton, and Schminke. The application was very washy, with lots of water added. My main colors on the buildings were Prussian Blue, Raw Umber, and a hint of red (can't remember which).

Meg