WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture > Portrait Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Wentzville, Mo.

Hails from United States
Adding or replacing images in group paintings

In this group of four, a grandmother and grandsons, the mother liked two other images better of the boys on the right. I cropped those images, reduced them on my printer, until I got the size I needed to fit the heads on the first photo. I then cut out and pasted the images onto a "mock-up". I had to be careful to consider the lighting and shadows, and make corrections to go with the other figures.

I kept the clothes soft and light to put the focus on the faces.

I wanted to keep the theme of the background woods and wildflowers, but not so much as to be distracting. I did it in small amounts at a time, which was easy to do, since the layers of greenery were different textures and tones, and back washes were used to an advantage.

I'm not able to photograph the true colors of my watercolor with my camera, a Sony, which is much smarter than I am. I will consult your camera experts.

I've tried adjusting in the photoshop and so far, this is the best I can do. Partly because of inadequate lighting, the faces are much too orange. I've tried reducing the yellow tones,fiddling with the contrast, and intensity, without much success. The photos of the family are not from my camera. They are terrific. I do have better luck with sunshine lighting, but we have been under ice and snow and without sun for weeks!
Expert help is needed!!!

It's an 11x14 on Archers 140 lb. wt.

Anyway, it was fun to do and the family is pleased with the actual watercolor.

Marilyn

If God simply handed us everything we want, He'd be taking from us our greatest prize – the job of accomplishment. (Frank A. Clark) lc
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2016, 06:15 PM

Re: Adding or replacing images in group paintings

Thank you for describing this Marilyn. I find it very helpful and will likely use it in the future.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2016, 10:29 PM

Re: Adding or replacing images in group paintings

Thank you for describing this Marilyn. I find it very helpful and will likely use it in the future.