WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Immortalized
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States
Smile Tell Us About YOU!!!

There is a great thread going on in the Glass Art Forum and I asked Chris if we could have one here too. It's a way to get to know one another better!
We are a small but cozy forum and I love how we reach out so often to help one another! So, take a look at the Glass Forum thread if you want to but the basic "game" is to write 5 descriptions about yourself. This will stay on top as a stickey so we can read this for years to come....this our place! New members and old alike, join in so we can know who you are!

1. I am a happy single Mom of 3 grown children and one teenager still at home. I have a darling 3 month old grandson too! I live in a house in Phoenix, Arizona that is full of the color red. Life is precious to me and I thank God daily for the blessings of family, friends and my bliss-filled painting business. Besides family, friends are one of my strongest passions!

2. I dream about having a complimentary bed and breakfast one day where friends can come stay and find R & R and walk in my gardens. I also dream about lots of travel all across the United States where I search for old treasures in antique shops.

3. I collect vintage swizzle sticks and am a certified dish-a-holic...love to buy them and entertain! When I buy a new set, one of the older ones goes to a family in need. I like things from the past...have one teddy bear that is 50 years old, my parents first table, some of my granparents first furniture! (I am very sentimental!)

4. I love movies...comedy is my favorite...I love to laugh! The endorphin rush is great! Favorite comedies are Tootsie and Multiplicity. I also love to read....fiction, biographies and books that help you understand what this journey called life is all about.

5. I enjoy eating out...Sushi is my first favorite with Mexican and Asian right behind. The spicier the better for me! I enjoy cooking but mostly for large groups of family and friends.

Now it's your turn!
Becky
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2006, 12:58 AM
A Local Legend
So. California

Hails from United States
Re: Tell Us About YOU!!!

1. I have been happily married for almost 18 years. I have 2 kids, Girl 14, and a Boy 13, and a dog Princess (Shih Tzu). I’m 38, and my Birthday is Dec. 24th…boy, my Mom got a Christmas Present.
2. My best friends are my Mom and Sister. I have a very close wonderful family.
3. I was born, raised, and still live in the same town in Southern California. Love it here…love the Sun shine, Beach, and CLOUDS.
4. I enjoy all crafts, even owned a Scrapbook Store. I also love Photography; I take so many pictures I fill up the hard drive on the computer LOL.
5. I’m a Certified Personal Trainer.

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-70L &other Lenses, Speedlite 580EX, Alien Bee's lights, with wireless triggers and soft boxes umbrellas.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2006, 09:19 AM
Immortalized
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States

Thanks Deb (aka Photo Deb!) for sharing....I have heard privately from some of you that you are either composing your own 5 things or are waiting to see what others do. Please don't wait...I see 22 views on this and I know I really want to know all about you too!
Becky the Beggar
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2006, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

1. I have been happily married for 25 years, have 4 children aged 25 years, 18 year old twins and the youngest is 12 years going on 25.

2. I love animals and have 3 dogs (2 mini schnauzers, 1 Italian Greyhound), two cats and a bird to prove it!

3. I work in a Nursing Home and enjoy being with the seniors and hearing all thier tales of their youth. Some people fear getting old. I don't. Age is a badge of honour and we should take care of our elderly.

4. I surround myself with colour whether it is my clothes, my home or my garden. I just feel better with colour . . . especially red.

5. Lastly, but not finally, I was diagnosed just yesterday with breast cancer. Certainly a new page in my life but definitely not something that will define who I am and what I do. Just something that is! Not mentioning this as a pity party, it's just where I am for the moment.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2006, 11:48 AM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

So sorry about your news, sboutette, and with your optimistic attitude, I'll bet you're going to beat it. My thoughts are with you...

Following that, it's hard to concentrate on me, but here goes, for Becky!

1. I'm 36 years old, will be 37 this summer (August 11), married very happily to my best friend for 13 1/2 years (not counting our 5 years of living in sin before marriage ), no kids by choice and apparent inability, 3 dogs, 7 cats, 2 horses, 3 birds, various fish and a partridge in a pear tree

2. I've done everything from baking, selling and decorating cookies, to selling cars. I officially started my business, Sommers End Originals (Original Artwork, Murals, Portraits and Calligraphy), in June '05, but have been a creative person most of my life, though I didn't use it as I should have. A little regret that I waited so long, but better now than even later! Working through some confidence issues with the help of my friends at WC... Thanks! When I'm not working my business I'm a Veterinary Assistant with 16 years under my belt. I work with a wonderful housecall Vet who's also been a friend for the last 16 years. Now do all those animals make sense?

3. I was born in New Jersey, but have lived in PA, FL and now call VA home. Restless mother, no military! I love it here.

4. I'm blessed with wonderful friends and the life I could only dream of--without the financial security! I am an impatient person, but have been on a personal journey to help myself be the best I can be. Like Becky, I'm a movie-aholic, and I love flea markets and antiques.

5. My dream is to move far out into the woods somewhere with my hubby and live quietly in our log cabin, be self-sufficient; solar and wind power, most of the modern conveniences (hey, I'm not crazy!) with all my bills paid. I would paint and create things to sell at craft fairs, which would allow us to travel.

K, that's me. Someone else's turn, I'm anxious to get to know you all...

Michele

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2006, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Thanks for the good thoughts, Michelle. I am perfectly fine and plan to remain that way!

Sue
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2006, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Queensland

Hails from Australia

What a great idea, Becky! I've enjoyed reading the posts here and I hope other's will add a little about themselves to this thread too.

My thoughts are with you too, sboutette, and I pray you beat this thing. A positive mind is half the battle so you are already halfway there.

As for me -

1. I am a happily divorced and very content mother of five and, yes, at this point in time, they all still live at home!!! Four sons and one daughter aged as follows.....son - 22; daughter - 21; son - 19; son - 17; son - 7. I haven't had a pet since 1999 but I would dearly love another little indoor doggie one day, maybe a Pomeranian or a Toy Poodle, though I do love German Shepherds too. I was born in England but have lived here in sunny Queensland, Australia, since I was four years old. We did move to Wyoming, USA, in 1998 for around 18 months where I saw snow for the first time in my life! Let me just say that I have great admiration for those of you who drive around in the stuff because driving in snow conditions scared the heck out of me, particularly that dreaded black ice!!

2. I discovered my passion for art around 14 years ago and it opened up a whole new world for me. I've made so many wonderful friends through art, both online and off. I'm mainly self-taught and recently started my own art business - Searen Art and Design - which has been keeping me very busy but I'm lovin' it!! I teach regular classes and workshops in Decorative and Canvas Art at a local art studio. I also have an interest in Home Decorating and, when I get a spare moment to relax, you will often find me browsing through my magazines on home decorating. In the past year, I have gone from a soft, pastel home decor person to a very bright, vibrant home decor person. Apart from my bedroom, my home is now decorated with red, orange, aqua/turquoise and sunny yellow and I LOVE IT!! I'm also into Feng Shui though I'm not fanatical about it.

3. I'm a non-meat eater and, at this stage, I do eat a small amount of seafood but I'm heading towards being total Vegetarian. My favourite food of all time is Indian or Thai curry and rice - the hotter, the better! I am health-conscious though I must admit that potato chips are my downfall. I used to be a coffee addict, drinking over 20 large mugs a day, but I haven't had coffee in 13 months now. I switched to the healthy alternative of green/white tea and love it!

4. I like reading Dean Koontz novels and true stories on a wide range of topics. My favourite book would have to be The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. I'm a movie buff too - true stories, supernatural themes and some comedy being among my favourite topics. I have too many favourite titles to list here. I don't really collect any one theme of anything, however, I do have a fetish for small notebooks with attractive cover designs. I use them individually for Shopping lists, To Do lists, Ideas lists, Tips/Notes lists etc. I also love to journal.

5. My broader dream is for world peace, no cruelty to animals and a safe and sound environment for our future generations. My personal dream is to settle in a home of my own, either by the sea or near a rainforest, enjoying quality time with my family, savouring life in general, and painting to my heart's content.

Next please.....

Blog
Website
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2006, 06:27 PM
Immortalized
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States

Sue~
Like everyone, I am wishing you all the positive thoughts ever! I sent you a PM too.

As I read each of your stories, I am constantly wanting to say "me too!!!!"
Artists are a great bunch of people!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2006, 07:03 PM
A Local Legend
So. California

Hails from United States

Me too, Me too Now I'm thinking I should have posted more!

Sboutette- I'm very sorry to hear that I also think a postive frame of mind is VERY important. Cancer is such a terrible thing but MANY people are cured every day! I'm sure you will beat this terrible thing.

I love funny movies and laughing too....have you seen Failure to Launch? That was sooo funny

This is so fun, learning about everyone

Deb

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-70L &other Lenses, Speedlite 580EX, Alien Bee's lights, with wireless triggers and soft boxes umbrellas.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2006, 09:03 PM
Enthusiast
near Albany, NY

Hails from United States

Sboutette, my heart goes out to you, as well. Please do beat this!

Okay, my turn. <sigh>, I'm really not good at expressing my introspective self, but I'll give it a try.

1) Here in the Northeast United States I enjoy the changing seasons, the beautiful leaves as they turn in the fall, and sometimes some nice cultural diversity. My husband and I have moved 6 times but only within 40 miles of where we started. In fact, we now live in the same town where I grew up; go figure! My favorite home was the one that we built together in the woods. I still miss it like crazy! I am 42 and we have 2 adorable cats, Ripley (9 lbs) and Noodle (19 lbs), each adopted separately but who are like brothers now.

2) Like Autumnwillow, I have held many different kinds of jobs over the years.
While working for the USPS I became very ill, resigned from my job and was bedridden for a number of months, not realizing that my illness would stretch into years. 10 years later I felt much better but still not fully recovered. My fascination with interior design since age 19 began to grow by leaps and bound during this time and simultaneously I discovered something called Decorative Painting! Here I could marry my art skills with interiors. I qualified for a government grant to start my own business and with it was able to take classes, buy supplies, ladders, etc. And I've been happily painting ever since! As for my health, I know my limitations and try to obey my body or else I end up in a relapse.

3) I don't cherish cooking but I love baking apple pie, Swedish tea ring, hot pretzels, pita bread, regular bread, cream puffs, and cookies! I'm not so much for eating these things but sure do love making them for others to enjoy. Indian food is my favorite and I enjoy making my own Naan.

4) Orange, especially a red-orange never fails to make my eyes linger.

5) My favorite TV shows are decorating shows, anything medical, certain Foodnetwork shows, and The Office.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2006, 02:49 AM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

It really is great getting to know you all
I am on a little break in Holland and using my sons computer just now. I will write as soon as get home ... this is like using a spaceship cockpit
I stuck the thread for you Becky
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2006, 09:11 AM
Immortalized
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States

Thanks so much, Chris! Have fun in Holland....what a joy! Is it tulip time?

I also wanted to let everyone know that our very own MURAL MAN, TODD, had his picture in the paper showing some of his work at a Home Show in Ontario, Canada! Way to god Todd! May it bring tons of business for you!

And thanks for everyone playing this game...I know we will get many posts over the years!
Me too, me too, me too!

Becky
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

I just want to thank all of you for the warm thoughts sent my way. Feels good.

It is nice to hear everyone's story. It helps put a face to posters.

Todd, I know I already sent you email about your picture in the paper, but I would like to also publicly say: "CONGRATS!!!"

Sue
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2006, 10:54 PM
Enthusiast
South Carolina

Hails from United States

First - Sue - my thoughts go to you. You are an inspiration!
Second - Todd... CONGRATULATIONS... can someone scan a bit of the article... or give us a LINK????

Here's my entry... nothing earth-shaking I'm afraid...

1) I’m shy, an introvert… but individuals who meet me are surprised that I think of myself as such... how we see ourselves is sometimes so different from the way others see us. I am an “Air Force Brat” – my dad was in the US Air Force. I was the third of four girls (my oldest sister died in Atlanta, GA on that infamous day of 9/11 – long story…). I was born in Newfoundland, Canada, but we only lived there 6 months. My family moved a bit as I grew up – Ohio, Kentucky, North Carolina, California, and Maryland. I’m a University of Kentucky graduate (I started as a Anthropology major; switched to Elementary Education, but I never became a teacher). I’m now 55 years old and Scott & I have been married for 32 years. We have two sons, Chase (29), who lives in Dayton, OH, with his wife of two years; and Tyler (26) who lives in Minneapolis, MN, with his fiancé. Scott & I live in Wisconsin on 10 acres with three horses (Ark, PJ, and Hank), one burro (Black Jack), two barn cats (Catman & Ms. Kitty), and two large German Shepherds (Calvin & Hobbes).

2) Because of self-doubt and low self-esteem I never felt I could ever be included in the illustrious ranks of those individuals called ARTISTS. I am a practical person, thus I never considered art as a potential career path. As a young girl I painted countless “Paint by Number” canvases – to me the smell of oil paint is a wonderful perfume. I took a few art courses in high school, enjoyed them, and had some very favorable comments from friends. I took a couple of adult studio classes in oils in the early 80s…. And that is the extent of my art education – other than the hours and hours I spent on my own in libraries studying art technique and art history. Through the years, during the day, I worked various office jobs and in the evenings painted on canvas for my own pleasure (plus some commissions). 6 years ago, I began my mural business …. Still amazed that I can be paid for making art.

3) I have been told I have an “old soul”. I tend to be pretty serious, although I love to laugh when given the opportunity. I’ve been called wise… but that embarrasses me – it simply isn’t true. I listen more than I talk… I’m not good at “small talk”, but love to hear what others have to say. I feel awkward in social situations.

4) I fell off my horse two years ago and am dealing with fear … I have loved horses since before I can remember. Didn’t have my own horse until 6 years ago! What an exciting opportunity for me. Now I’m afraid to ride… I fell off horses several times in my younger years and it never phased me! Riding horses is a DREAM of mine and this fear is a major struggle I’m dealing with.

5) Last week my husband was informed that he is losing his job. So, we’ve decided we will move out of Wisconsin and move further south to be near family (his in Ohio, mine in South Carolina)… Big changes are coming. What does this mean for my mural business? What does this mean for our lives in general? Well, I do better in change than with stagnation, so I’m confident all will come out well in the end. But the next few months will be VERY busy!

Thank you, my friends here in WC, for being so supportive. I treasure you all.
Shelley
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2006, 10:00 AM
Immortalized
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States

Shelley,
Whatever State you land in will be blessed to have your talents! And you are SOOO talented!

Thanks to Deb, Sue, Michele, Serenity, Semper & Shelley ~~~ I have loved reading and re-reading your stories!

More More More!...don't be shy!