WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: What artistic style do you aim for?
Hyper-Realistic (Can't tell it from a photograph) 23 8.68%
Painterly (Realistic but still clearly a painting/drawing) 164 61.89%
Impressionist (Inspired by Reality but with great license) 64 24.15%
Expressionist/Abstract (Most anything goes) 14 5.28%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Tucson, Arizona

POLL. What art style(s) do you aim for?

I mean this to be different from Diane's questions ;-) I mean 'painterly' versus 'photorealist', etc. rather than the technical approach you use.

I would say my goals are to paint realistic but not photo- or hyper-realist subjects. In other words, I want them to look like paintings, not photographs, but at the same time I want them to be accurate in terms of proportion and volume. Basically this seems to mean getting things in place and getting the values right. The colors can go much wilder.

I tremendously admire photo/hyper realistic work-- but even if I could do it-- it's not the sort of thing that calls to me artistically. On the other hand, when a painting goes to far the other way-- (intentionally) disregarding volume and placement-- while often very interesting-- I don't feel drawn to that style either.

These are just personal choices-- am trying to put into words what I'm after in a portrait or whatever as my skills (I HOPE) increase. I know many people strive for totally different goals-- true photo-realism, super-expressionism, etc. so curious to hear thoughts. (And if you do it all, pick your favorite for the poll ;-)

Brad,
One of those crazy vegetarian animal welfare nuts.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States
Re: POLL. What art style(s) do you aim for?

Brad, never ever change your style!! Your paintings are so good.
As for style, I am cursed with an illustrative style and long and dream for a realistic style. I fight with myself all the time because my natural style is so at odds with my wished for style.
diane
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2006, 11:42 AM
A Local Legend
Langdon, Alberta

Hails from Canada

If I wanted photo-realistic - I have a really good camera. I really prefer a very painterly style and I think it suits me. I can still get likenesses across in pet portraits and my landscapes still give a really good impression of the scene. I'd rather be somewhat unique and painterly so when people look at it, they can say "That HAS to be a Cori Nicholls original!" lol. Not that they're saying it YET...but give them time.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2006, 11:50 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hi,

I went for painterly, which I interpreted as realistic.
But I also want to be abble to do photorealistic stuff and inter-act (sp?) with painterly. To create trompe l'oeils, for insteance.

Regards,

José
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

Cori, you are so funny. I just laugh. But, you are so good that your style is perfect for you. It's a lovely style

Brad, Just wanted to say "what a nice thing to have a companion thread to one. Great idea. something people can do with other threads. Like an offshoot to a lively discussion.
d
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2006, 11:55 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Citrus Heights, CA

Hails from United States

I too have a Illustration style, but now I don't fight against it so much any more. Diane, have you ever seen the works of W.T. Benda, Henry Clive or Mabel Rollins Harris? You may find yourself in love with your illustration style again.
Azure
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Washington state

Hails from United States

Well now I really do have a problem with chosing just one! Sometimes I'm
Photorealist: A Treat for Tiger

Sometimes Impressionist: Serenity

Sometimes Expressionist: Seeing Red

Sometimes Abstract: Hawaiian Rain

But I'm never bored!

So how do I vote Brad...
Peggy
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Tucson, Arizona

Vote early vote often! Seriously, hmmm, if they art gods restricted you to one style for the rest of time it would be...???

Brad,
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrad
Vote early vote often! Seriously, hmmm, if they art gods restricted you to one style for the rest of time it would be...???

Seriously? I'd shrivel up and die of boredom. About the only style I'll most likely never repeat is the photorealism. I did that painting just to prove to myself that I could, but I really didn't enjoy what I felt was restrictive. Guess that leaves only three identities. LOL

Peggy
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2006, 04:38 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

I went with Painterly (Realistic but still clearly a painting/drawing). That's just how my style turns out.

Paula
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Tucson, Arizona

Peggy, the art gods have accepted your response! Some day I'm going to try to torture myself with something photo-realistic as well just to see if I can carry it off. You obviously proved you could with flying colors.

Brad,
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

boredom is a dreaded condition!! lol It something that would indeed make me looney and not just the illlusion of it like now. haha.
I do dream of doing a realism thing but, I think if I succeed in beating away my illustration tendencies I will end up with a painterly style. Hey!!Won't that be perfect for plein air and isn't that sorta like the impressionist?? cool. be like renior, monet, manet, degas, ect. hmmmmmm
diane
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2006, 02:25 AM
Immortalized
Arizona

Hails from United States

I admire the photo realists greatly. It seems to take such talent, such a good eye for accurate values and proportions, but I will never achieve photo realty and find I'm working more towards a looser feel in my work. I guess I work more in an impresionistic representational style, or want to. I have seen some abstracts which I can truly admire, but can't get excited about working in that style. The remarks about a recent piece I've completed were along the lines of boy that's really a riot of color, are you in your Van Gough mood. I hadn't thought of it as at all Van Goughish, just loose and impressionistic but still very true to realty. I don't put too much thought into " what style do I want to achieve when I do this painting" I just respond to the subject and filter it's interpretation through my own emotional experience and hope to tell the story that resonated with me.
TJ

art at http://www.trilbyarnold.com art is in all of nature. It is for the artist to uncover and reveal it.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Resting in Peace

Hails from United States

I guess I am a realist with a painterly style. I did take an oil painting class this fall with a person who does sharp focus realism. I enjoyed the class, but there was not enough time to finish a piece, just time to learn the technique. I know I couldn't work like this, too time consuming and I take long enought to finish a painting as it is. So what about the 7 unfinished pieces? I'm going to finish them up with my OPs. lol

Pat
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast
Calgary, AB

Hails from Canada

Well yet another realist with a painterly style. One of these days though I swear I'm just going to literally throw some acrylic paint at a canvas and see what sticks!