WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air > Plein Air Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2002, 06:51 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
Plein Air Organizations, groups, Online sites, etc;

Let's start a thread where we can share info on the existence of groups; get a feel for what's going on around the country, good bad or otherwise. Might be useful, and if it proves so...we'll make it a sticky.

One such group is PAPA or "Plein Air Painters of America"
A group growing in national attention with some very talented painters. Taking nothing away from the painter's and their talents there...I wish their name were changed to PAPC or "Plein Air Painters of California because membership is by invitation only and you have to attend a couple shows out there. This equates to nearly a "pilgrimage to Mecca" or "California" which I don't think properly speaks for and represents what is happening in plein air across the country. Still...some very impressive artists.

http://www.p-a-p-a.com

Might be educational or growth learning to point to some favorite pieces or artist there. Use of color is very good. Ken Auster, Joseph Paquel...many others.

Linda Blondheim's group is growing in the Florida region, and they have their own site online now....
http://pleinairflorida.org/

I'm sure Linda, and others will have some great things to report and share about that including their paint out this month.

I belong to NAPPAP as does L Diane Johnson..."National Academy of Professional Plein Air Painters" and we have our own website.
Unfortunately, my web site listed there is down due to a merger with domain hosts...which is real aggravating to me since I spent two months creating a new and satisfying site. My artistnation site here though features many of my works. Do check out artist's work there as well.

http://nhstudios.com/NAPPAPFrameSet.html

Larry
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2002, 07:49 AM

Hails from Venezuela
perhaps helpful.

http://pub19.ezboard.com/bpleinairtraveler
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2002, 09:13 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Yeah...good stuff there. I gleaned a link for the "Tuscon Plein Air Painter's Society" there-

http://www.tpaps.com/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2002, 04:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Gainesville, Fl USA

Hails from United States
Several Links

Check out this page on our pleinairflorida.org site for links involving plein air painting.
BTW, anyone is welcome to become a supporting or invitational member to PAF. Our Own Diane Johnson is a member, as well as Llis Franklin in Georgia.

http://pleinairflorida.org/links.htm
https://lindablondheim.com/classes-art-tutorials/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2002, 08:07 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Still another...

Well..chalk up another one from California.

This one called, "The Plein Air Scene- Your Source on California Plein Air Painting"

http://www.thepleinairscene.com

-Larry
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2002, 07:39 AM
Winter Park, FL

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Central Florida Plein Air Group

Hi Guys!

Just got back from Kanapaha Paintout and had a chance to get back to Wet Canvas for a change! I wanted to throw my two cents worth in about a Plein Air group that I started here in Central Florida. Plein Air Painters of Central Florida. We have been in existance for going on 4 years and paint out in various locations around the Central Florida area once a week. Currently we are painting on Tuesday mornings. We are also a part of Linda's Plein Air Florida group and some of us have joined the North Florida Artist's Alliance since we were so impressed with the way that they organized the Kanapaha event. All in all, since we all met up here on Wet Canvas last September, things here in Florida have been looking up for the Plein Air scene and we all look forward to more events and opportunities in the future. Anyone is welcome to join the Central Florida group or Plein Air Florida. All of our events will be listed on the News Page of Plein Air Florida.

Brenda Hofreiter
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2002, 08:31 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States
Linda , Your Florida group sounds great. I would love to find a group that painted on say, Tuesday mornings on a regular basis. It's more fun than always being out there on your own. Plus, the artist friends I ask to go with me are just dabbling in plein aire and aren't really enthusiastic enough to show up!

On Reynold's suggestion in the thread, "Dogwood" , I wrote to another pleinairist on Long Island and asked if there are any existing societies not present on the web.

If the answer from her is "no", then my question to you is, do you have a format for starting a plein aire group? Either you or Diane?
I know this is not a question with a quick answer, but any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks.

Renee

Plus, what about the northeast? Aren't there any established groups out this way? Say, we have beautiful landscapes. What are we, mud?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2002, 12:33 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Clear Lake Shores, Texas

Hails from United States
Renee, I'm going to try to piggyback a plein air group off of existing local art groups. When I visited our Clear Lake Arts Alliance, I picked up their newsletter, in which they listed meeting times & places for a several local societies. There's one down in Texas City, one in Dickinson, one up towards Houston in Pasadena-- all within a 20 minute drive of my house. I'm going to call the numbers & ask if I can visit their next meeting and I'll take flyers to give to anyone who expresses interest in a regular plein air group (I also may join one or more of these societies). Ideally, I would like a plein air group that met at least once a week to paint-- very simple, all media & all skill levels, bring your lunch kind of thing, maybe taking turns choosing the site or nominating sites and voting. Heck, I would be content with just a buddy or two that shared my interest. The only thing that's important to me is finding a core group of people who are interested in it as an experience-- right now I don't envision the more advanced sorts of paintouts, shows and sales that Linda's Florida group puts on, although I could certainly see the group growing in that direction.

My Ebay Auctions
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2002, 09:55 AM
A WC! Legend
Gainesville, Fl USA

Hails from United States
If the answer from her is "no", then my question to you is, do you have a format for starting a plein aire group? Either you or Diane?
I know this is not a question with a quick answer, but any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks.

Renee

Renee,
Sorry It took me so long to get back to you with an answer.
I would try the following ways to find other plein air painters.
I found most of the first Florida painters by going to internet artist message boards and posting on them.
Next: Put up a notice at all the art league/associations meetings in your area of the state, or send out a letter to them.
Put up a notice at your local and area art supply stores.

These should produce some results for you. Once it starts it just runs like a snowball, picking up more and more painters.
Best of luck.
Love,
Linda
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2002, 10:27 PM
A Local Legend
Darien, GA

Hails from United States
Linda, I just wanted to let you know what a great job you and David have done with Plein Air Florida...I know others have had a hand in its development, but your vision set things into motion.

I really wish we had some sort of organization like this for Georgia! If its out there...I'll find it!
carly
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2002, 11:02 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Hhhmmm...our school this year is hosting our conference (eight districts) student art exhibition, which will be about 200 art works. Part of that is finding those capable and involved in the arts to come and judge works and hand out awards.

Turns out that I followed up on a couple names given me by another area art teacher...and one gentleman turns out to be a pharmacist who is quite familiar with my work. In fact, he took a plein air workshop this past summer and talking with him tonight, he is wanting to get together with four or more others to do some painting outdoors this summer.

He also knows some of the wildlife artists that do plein airs on the side....and I guess to make a long story even longer (just kidding) it appears that perhaps doors are opening and that a writing on the proverbial wall so-to-speak is beginning to make a way for things to get started here.

I've had a number of requests to do a couple workshops, and I'm going to have to go about making new contacts for possible hosting of the event (hotels, resorts, etc)...so, three cheers! Hip Hip...Hooray...!

Larry
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2002, 06:09 AM
A WC! Legend
Gainesville, Fl USA

Hails from United States
That is great news Larry. I knew it would happen there too. I have the feeling that it is happening in various ways all over America. I sold two paintings to a woman this weekend whose brother is a well known plein air painter in Charleston SC. I can't remember his name, but she was surprised and delighted to find me and recognised that my work was plein air immediately.

I also read about the group in Birmingham, Al, so we are finally getting somewhere.
Congrats on finding other plein air painters in the frozen North.
Love,
Linda
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2002, 08:12 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by blondheim12
and recognised that my work was plein air immediately.
<snip>
I also read about the group in Birmingham, Al, so we are finally getting somewhere.
Congrats on finding other plein air painters in the frozen North.
Love,
Linda

cool on the sales, Linda...and isn't it amazing? Plein airs do carry that sense of the natural unity of a harmonious light and color, spontaneity of the moment...they do seem to have a certain "look" to them which resonates with the spirit that projects the artist having been there.

Perhaps that is because our lives are compilations of rare chance happenings filled with fleeting glimpses of beauty. The plein air captures something of that fleeting moment that a photograph does not, which then the human spirit relates to.

Larry
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2002, 04:41 PM
Virginia, USA

Hails from United States
Another way to get publicity

Quote:
Originally posted by blondheim12
Put up a notice at all the art league/associations meetings in your area of the state, or send out a letter to them.
Put up a notice at your local and area art supply stores.

I'd also suggest that you ask your city to include mention of your group and its events in its newsletters, web site, events calendars, etc. Same for the local paper. I used to do publicity for a local art group, and we used both of these avenues to advantage.

Also, why not write up a brief story about your fledgling group and see whether a local paper will run it. I was surprised to learn how approachable newspapers can be. They are always in need of material, and something a little offbeat (Plein aire painters put brush to City) is often very welcome. If you include contact information, you'll get inquiries.

Finally, don't hesitate to approach your city for grants and/or funding, and/or permission to use a public building for your organizational meetings, or to paint at a city historic site. All these things can be do-able. - Brie
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2002, 04:52 PM
Enthusiast
Crivitz, WI, USA

Hails from United States
Larry,

Don't forget that I am interested in coming to the plein-aire events that you are setting up. Also, I would be interested in taking a workshop in plein-aire painting if you are going to offer one!!

Love your work...as always!!

Nancy