WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2004, 08:28 PM
PA

Hails from United States
Sandblaster Recommendations?

Anyone have any favorite brands, or types of sandblasters that they would recommend?

Size?
Pressure?
Etc?

Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2004, 11:07 AM
PA

Hails from United States
Re: Sandblaster Recommendations?

No one sandblasts?

Im gonna need to be the test subject? hehe
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast
Salad Bowl of the World, Salinas CA.

Hails from United States

Consider one of the small enclosed ones from places like Harbor Freight. It will require a external compressor also. You should be able to set up one for about $250...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1672
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42321

You might try searching archives also... There was some discussion a while back, but dont remember how long ago....

Dale

Last edited by Dale_M : 02-03-2004 at 12:01 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2004, 04:09 PM
Creston, CA

Hails from United States

You may want to check out the sandcarving group at yahoo,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sandcarving
My setup is from Harbor Freight, but my DH set everything up so I can't help you.
Stephie

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." --Einstein, Albert
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2004, 06:07 PM
A Local Legend
Across Puget sound From Seattle

Hails from United States

I am so glad you asked this...I want to make a set up too...

CATS! can't live with them, Can't live without them!
Why do they lay in your path and refuse to move out of your way and then complain bitterly when you trip over them?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2004, 12:26 AM
A Local Legend
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States

Well, I can't stand it any longer. I am gonna do this. And you guys know how anal-retentive I am about researching stuff. LOL! I'll be sure to report back here.

I'm guessing a siphon system is the way to go. Here is a link to some great (I think) info at Sundance.

I know that I want a very fine surface effect for most of what I plan to do, and I need to figure out the right abrasive to make that happen.

I've done some blasting at a local studio, but their equipment needs repair and it's not at the top of their priority list, understandably. I'm ready to move forward on this if I can just figure out what I need for sure.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2004, 12:58 PM
Enthusiast
Salad Bowl of the World, Salinas CA.

Hails from United States

Just remember a sandblaster will put sand every where....Yes even "there"...

Best system for small work is a enclosed chamber with "gloves" for you hands and arms and a "window" to observe your work.

There are two types of systems pressure and syphon.... Typically a enclosed chamber type is a syphon system that pulls sand off the bottom of chamber and recycles it over and over again... A pressure system us usually used outdoors and the sand is a consumable product and can not be used over and over again because it is sprayed all over the place.

From experience (car restoration projects), you want the enclosed syphon system...

Dale
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2004, 03:16 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Philadelphia, PA

Hails from United States

Try asking this question over at the ISGB forum. Jeri Warhaftig posts occasionally over there, although I don't know how regularly she reads the forum. She's doing some really cool stuff with sandblasting. I just checked her website, and I see that she's teaching beginner sandblasting at Bead & Button this year.

Jeri's website is http://www.jeribeads.com. Yes, the bright colored beads with the black zigzags on them are sandblasted.

Diana East gave a presentation and taught a class on sandblasting at the Alexandria Gathering (2002). She's in the UK, so she might not be able to help you with sources for equipment, but there might be some of her students in the US who follow the ISGB forum.

To those who question the real value of the Web: Sea slugs. Now, please fall into a respectful silence, and don't speak again until you understand why you were wrong.
-- James Norton (in Flak Magazine's review of the Sea Slug Forum)

Last edited by Emily : 02-04-2004 at 03:20 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2004, 03:54 PM
Creston, CA

Hails from United States

Dale, this kind of sandblasting isn't like car parts. You can do it bare handed, but thin gloves are plenty. Also, you are right about wanting a cabinet but you may still want the pressure pot.

The cabinet from HF comes with the "gun" for a syphon system, but you can change that. There is a light blasting gun "PAB" that uses a trigger, or you can hook up a foot switch (that's what I use). The "guns" that come with this stuff are heavy if you are doing very much at one time. With the foot switch you only need the nozzle attached to a hose. You will probably want to add lights to the cabinet. I have (DH) added one, but I need more.

If you are just doing surface etching, a syphon system may work for you. I would recomend a pressure pot. The pressure required for a pressure pot is any where from 10 to 30 pounds verses a syphon system that is about 80, you will want your compressor to accomidate.

The "sand" you will want is silicon carbide or aluminium oxide 180 grit or finer. SC costs more to begin with but last longer as new surfaces are created when you blast.
Something else to consider is how fine the detail is that you want to blast or if you want to do shading to determine how fine to go.

Then there is the resist issue ....

http://www.sandcarver.org/ is an excellent resource for information.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." --Einstein, Albert
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Enthusiast
Annapolis, Maryland

Hails from United States

We've got the desktop unit from Harbor Freight - bought it about 10 years ago and use it for car restoration projects. It works well and we're just about now getting to the point where the top is getting cloudy and the rubber gloves are developing some wear holes around the wrists where they're held in place. It does take an external compressor - we've got a big one in the garage for the projects. Thanks for the recommendation for the media for beading - we've been using glass beads for the car stuff and occasionally walnut shells for more delicate stuff. ~Juliet
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2004, 02:15 PM

Hails from United States

Hi - thanks for the kind words Emily. I haven't seen this thread because I have been blasting like crazy to get ready for a show! Anyway, I use the HF table top model, and we have a pressure pot. No one has mentioned dust collector, we are using a small Sear's shop vac. Even with the enclosed cabinet this is a very dusty process, I recommend that you take all possible respiratory precautions (mask, exhaust, etc). Frankly, I have found that keeping such a set up running is tough, it can be cranky, affected by cold and humidity. Luckily my husband can do just about anything and is a major player in my blasting, he is teaching at B and B with me. I use a "gun" but I have tried the foot pedal and it is much easier. The gun is hard on my hands! Jeri
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
overlooking the Susquehanna

Hails from United States

FYI that this model blast cabinet is in the HF sale flyer right now for $69:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38440

Karen
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2004, 12:10 PM
A Local Legend
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States

Oh how COOL! I think I will need to go to Harbor Freight today!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I need an air compressor, and a dust collector? What else?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Creston, CA

Hails from United States

A pressure pot or a syphon system. The gun shown is for syphon. Also, you may want more light in the cabinet. The one in it sucks!

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast
Cannington, Ontario Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi, I started looking for Sandblast equipment about 4 weeks ago.
I bought a cabinet (side opening) from Harbor Freight 70.00 and this week they have the 40lb pressure tank (on wheels) for 70.00 and I think I may pick that up (yes I know need a compressor but I think I can fill and get the pressure tank filled at work or just take everything to work and do it there)
My service manager is drooling about getting a sandblast system with glass beads (supposed to be better but I really havnt got that far) I want this for doing glasses and beads.

http://www.deborahread.com

Canada ! Home Sweet Home!

"We can do no great things ------only small things with great love." -Mother Teresa