WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2003, 01:23 PM
Scenic Oregon

Hails from United States
Pictures please?

For those of you who have your propane tank stored outside, could you please post a photo of your setup? And maybe include a pic of just how you run the hoses outside from your torch to the tank?

We're preparing for the upcoming move to another room of our house and would appreciate help. Thanks!

Joce
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2003, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Marysville, MT

Hails from United States
Don't have pictures and the batteries for my camera are charging. Mine is simply set on a table outside the studio window. Run the hose out the window - have a quick connect on the tank. Works well enough for the time being and can reach it without having to go outside in the freezing cold.

Sandi

Mountain Morning Design

Ebay Auctions
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2003, 03:45 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Northeast Ohio

Hails from United States
I just drilled a hole through the side of the house and ran the house out through that, then I put fiberglass insulation all around the hose.

I have to walk around the side of the house to turn the tank off at night and have been considering installing a 'pet door' above where my tank is so I can just reach out and turn it off. Still researching the practicality of this. The tank is in a locked box, which is also a bite in the butt, so this is tempting me fierce!

~~Mary
--Winston Churchill
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2003, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Marysville, MT

Hails from United States
My tank isn't locked up although I probably should at least fasten it down. Most of the time I'm fine unless a mountain lion with exceptional dexterity managed to turn the tank on. Should have it stabilized in case a curious bear gets at it though - not a winter problem however!

Mountain Morning Design

Ebay Auctions
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2003, 06:03 PM
austin tx

Hails from United States
i'm posting pics of my outside tank storage for ya, but just ignore the leaves - its not like I don't sweep them, they just blow right back into place the next day.

The propane tank is inside the garden hose box. My acetylene tank for my metalsmithing is next to it, ignore that for now. (and my spare tank is sitting outside waiting under the air conditioner)...
We took the 'guts' out of the garden hose reel, and the tank fits perfectly. I have the red hose running in thru the side. We bought the box on sale at Target at the end of summer - half price. It weathers well in Texas, i'm not sure how it'd do surviving in a snow covered state...? I like it because it keeps the rain and sun off the propane tank and regulator. I often find spiders building webs in the corners - as long as they keep the mosquito population down, I'm fine with them hanging out.

This is a hole in the wall that was there from the previous owner of the house. the propane hose fit perfectly thru, in fact its so perfect, i don't need to insulate around it.. I'm guessing he drilled it for the same size propane hose, but I'm not sure.

Lastly, I covered the propane hose in pipe insulation - that way I'm less likely to step directly on the propane hose and damage it.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2003, 06:14 PM
Downers Grove, IL

Hails from United States
My studio/office space is in the front bedroom of my house. I'm moving (hopefully) in the first quarter of 2004 and didn't want to start punching big holes in my walls and siding for exhaust and hoses. So, I found a piece of plywood thin enough to fit in the slot of my window opening, yet sturdy enough to hold my exhaust fan and started cutting holes in the plywood. One big hole for the fan, one small hole for the propane hose. When I'm ready to start torching, I just open the window, toss out the propane hose, put the panel into the window slot (weather stripped on each side) and close the window tight. Then I run out and pop on the quick-disconnect. My propane tank is outside behind the azalea bush in from of my window, and is pretty stable and hidden. When I'm not using the tank, I bring it around and hide it behind a bench I have on the front porch.

Hope this attachment works...

VISIT MY WEBSITE
VISIT MY ETSY
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2003, 09:35 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
I'd post a pic, but it's so basic it's unecessary; I open the door, run the hose outside, screw the hose onto the tank, and voila! Propane access and makeup air in one fell swoop! The door is only cracked a little, so I don't get too cold.
www.pagan-network.org, the most racist forum on the internet
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Scenic Oregon

Hails from United States
Fire codes say we should run a pipe outside to the tank, not a rubber hose. The hose could chaffe making a hole for a leak. I guess I just assumed that if people had the tank outside, they had used pipe, so I wanted pics to see how they did it. So far, no one uses pipes rather than hoses?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2003, 01:45 PM
New Hampshire

Hails from United States
Yes, I have pipe and will take a photo pronto!

Current auctions (currently none):

My current eBay Auctions
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2003, 02:12 PM
New Hampshire

Hails from United States
Photos (hopefully) ...

My current eBay Auctions
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2003, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast
Salad Bowl of the World, Salinas CA.

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by ljl56
Photos (hopefully) ...

YES!!!!!!

Dale
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2003, 03:26 PM
Scenic Oregon

Hails from United States
PERFECT! That's the kind of setup I was looking to do. The pictures are SO helpful!! Thanks for taking the time to take photos to upload for me.

Joce
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2003, 03:27 PM
Scenic Oregon

Hails from United States
Say Dale? Do you have a pic of your setup?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2003, 06:14 PM
New Hampshire

Hails from United States
My setup is a result of the help of people like Dale and others on both this and the "other" forum. I feel very confident that it's a great set up and will work on a "permanent" basis for a long time.

My current eBay Auctions
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2003, 06:34 PM
Downers Grove, IL

Hails from United States
Lisa, thanks for the photos of your setup! And with Dale's seal of approval, I know what to plan for in when I create my permanent space!

Two questions for you...
One: The outside pipe from the elbow to the quick connect on tank (in the blue plastic sleeve)... what kind of tubing are you using... copper?

And two... the pipe thru the wall and inside w/ shut-off valve... Is that cast iron?

Sorry, I don't know if propane reacts adversely with any specific metals and I'm not familiar with the variety of metal pipes available... YET! =}

Yes, Dale, please share your photos... I don't remember seeing your work space/setup... Just demo shots and your kiln...

Thanks again!

VISIT MY WEBSITE
VISIT MY ETSY