WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2003, 01:26 PM
Southern Connecticut

Hails from United States
Hand Drill for Mixing Colors

In case any of you aren't already doing this -- I tried using a hand drill last night to help me mix glass colors. I got the idea from Bandhu Dunham's book, where he mentions that glassblowers sometimes use a drill to twist striped canes -- gives a measured, even twist.

Anyway, it works really well for mixing. I have not got mine rigged right yet where I can rest it at the right level. It's a very heavy drill, so difficult to maneuver. I think one of those battery-operated Black&Decker drills might be perfect.

But if you use something that's high enough to rest it on, it works the best. Make your gather as you normally would in the flame, and add the glass that you want to mix to it. Then for the side you want to twist with, substitute a punty that's short enough to fit into the drill vise, and also reach into the flame.

Heat up the ball to your mixing temp, then press very lightly on the drill trigger. On my drill, the pressure controls the speed of the drill. You can gradually speed it up as much as you want once the glass is hot enough.

After it's well mixed, burn off the short punty and substitute with a longer one [rather than mess with getting it out of the drill right then]. Heat up the ball again, and pull as usual.

I could never really mix glass thoroughly before -- my arms would get too tired before it lost its streakiness.

b
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2003, 01:51 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
San Francisco Bay Area

Hails from United States
Now THAT is an interesting idea. I'll bet you'd be able to mix a bigger glob of glass as well.

I'll have to see if I can adapt the old blender to do this. I know that Val posted a thread about using an old blender to make twisties a while ago.
Etsy
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2003, 02:19 PM
Enthusiast
Cannington, Ontario Canada

Hails from Canada
Hmmmm

Thats interesting -maybe a dremel - another use for my hand tool !

Put a punty in and away she goes !

http://www.deborahread.com

Canada ! Home Sweet Home!

"We can do no great things ------only small things with great love." -Mother Teresa
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2003, 02:30 PM
A WC! Legend
Virginia

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by AlexM
I'll have to see if I can adapt the old blender to do this. I know that Val posted a thread about using an old blender to make twisties a while ago.

Ah yes Alex, the twistie machine, LOL! It was fun for a while, but I found it easier to make them my hand in the long run.

Neat idea Blyneth, I found the slow running motion of the old blender (or a slow drill) was perferable to a high speed drill--to work best with the molten glass. Keep us posted to your discoveries!

Val
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2003, 02:34 PM
Southern Connecticut

Hails from United States
THanks for posting the pic of your adapted blender, Val! I was sitting here trying to figure out how that would look. Very ingenious.

dread: yeah, the dremel tool would probably work too, as long as you can fit whatever your using for a punty into it. I have a little bead cleaning tool which is similar to a Dremel, but I don't think it has a big enough vise grip. I'd guess the Dremels are bigger than that.

b

Last edited by blyneth : 12-21-2003 at 02:37 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2003, 04:24 PM
Southern Connecticut

Hails from United States
Here's a pic of my setup:

I've got the drill sitting on top of a stack of books! The Joy of Cooking is on the bottom. That's important. There is a clear rod in the chuck, the end of which is where the flame would be, if it was lit. (The torch is just out of the picture on the left). I found it works best to put the rod in the chuck before I start the gather. That way it's ready when I need it, and I can just glue the glass glob onto it.

b

Last edited by blyneth : 12-21-2003 at 04:27 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2003, 07:43 PM
Southern Connecticut

Hails from United States
90% white, 10% red

Oops -- I had put the Red + White results here, . . . . but it is the wrong thread. I've moved it.

b

Last edited by blyneth : 12-21-2003 at 08:19 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2003, 07:59 PM
Clearwater, FL

Hails from United States
You all are so ingenious!!

I have gotten hubby a new cordless drill for christmas...I wonder what hes gonna think when I ask to borrow it after he opens the package?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-22-2003, 02:48 AM
columbus, ohio

Hails from United States
I use a drill working with boro. I attach a short section of 19mm rod to some 6mm rod and put the 6mm in the drill. Then draw lines of color on the 19mm and hold it in the tip in the flame and pull it down to a 5-6mm lattichino. I continue down the section of 19mm with the flame until the whole thing is pulled out. It gets real physically demanding near the end but makes a lot at once. I'll have to see if I can get a friend to take pics of me doing it to post.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2003, 12:51 AM
Southern Connecticut

Hails from United States
Cool, Bizzano! Pics would be great!

b
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2003, 10:16 AM
Eastern Iowa

Hails from United States
I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while now. I have arthritis in my hands and I can't twist very well, it just hurts my thumb too much.
I was thinking about using an old fashioned hand crank drill, you can still buy them, at least at craft stores. My idea was to put the rod in the drill, make the twistie gather, drop the drill in a holder on the edge of the bench and start cranking. I think the lighter weight of the drill would be easier for me. I hadn't thought of using a pile of books or something to put the drill on. hmmmmmm.
Cookbooks are a very good idea.
Joensey
I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

no auctions up at the moment.

My Ebay Auctions
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2003, 11:36 AM
Long Island,NY

Hails from United States
Oooooooh! I have a small B&D electric screwdriver that has been collecting dust.

Possibilities? I think I'll give it a try and let you know!

Thanks
Elle
-------------------------------
My E-bay Auctions
Rainforestbeads
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2003, 12:03 PM
Southern Connecticut

Hails from United States
hmmmmm. I have done it again. having trouble submitting a reply so it ends up going in twice.

Skip this . . . .

Last edited by blyneth : 12-23-2003 at 12:11 PM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2003, 12:09 PM
Southern Connecticut

Hails from United States
Elle: Yes! Let us know!

Joensey: Very funny about your kitchen! The hand crank thing sounds perfect. If you can, show us a pic. Probably somebody here can come up with a better stand than a pile of books, but it's a resource I have in abundance. I have them all tied together with that green twist-tie stuff they sell for gardening, to make them more stable. One advantage of books is you can change the height -- by adding/removing books.

b
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2019, 02:13 AM

Re: Hand Drill for Mixing Colors

I think adapting to an old blender can be a great idea.