WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2003, 11:14 PM
A Local Legend
Darien, GA

Hails from United States
Lightbulb Making an Eggshell Finish Gallery Wrap Canvas

Follow Marty_C's easy instructions to create your very own "eggshell finish" gallery wrapped canvas!

Thanks Marty for sharing your expertise with all of us!

Click HERE!

to check out the demo and the finished painting!

carly
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2003, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Stretchers

Not to be too much of a stickler, but the underframe described in this article is NOT a stretcher but merely a stressor. A true good quality canvas stretcher will allow, by the existence of keyways, for the canvas to be tightened or re-stretched at any point in the future.

While a professional stretcher is a bit expensive the highest quality ones are so well made that they in essence protect the investment you are making in the canvas...i.e., no warping, allowing for re-tightening, and being of lighter weight for international shipping.

Certainly such concerns are more relevant to the professional artist. But the serious amateur who wishes to have the best possible canvas surface will appreciate the difference.

UpperCanadaStretchers.com is one reasonable source. (note: I have no affiliation, but have used their product).

The above notwithstanding thank you Marty for an informative well written and illustrated article.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2004, 08:53 AM
Immortalized
South Wales.U.K.

Hails from Wales
Re: Making an Eggshell Finish Gallery Wrap Canvas

Check out all the changes Marty has made to his excellent article, he now shows a much more professional way of doing those corners.

Thanks Marty for sharing this with us all.

Mo.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2004, 01:52 AM
Seattle, Washington, USA

Hails from Colombia

This is definitelly the best tutorial I have seen online on creating stretchers. I only have two comments on the tutorial.

In the tutorial, the edge of wood that touches the canvas is very pointy. This could potentially pierce the canvas. When I create the edge, I prefer to make it less pointy then sand the edge a bit so it is less harmful to the canvas. It would be nice to have a rounded edge. I've never tried it before because I have always used a table saw to cut my bevels, but I'm guessing that there is a router edge that could automatically cut a rounded edge, isn't there?

Also, to keep the wood from warping, I was taught to glue 2 pieces of wood in an 'L' shape for each side of the stretcher. This can make the wood straigher *and* keep it from warping in the future. Remember to use wood glue and use clamps to keep the wood in place while drying.

I added two attachements to this message to display the L shape (image001.gif) and the beveled edge look (image004.gif). (This is my first attempt at posting images on a thread, so hopefully this will work.)
Attached Images

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2004, 02:01 AM
Seattle, Washington, USA

Hails from Colombia

I'll try adding those images again
Attached Images

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2004, 02:12 AM
Seattle, Washington, USA

Hails from Colombia

My apologies. Here is the graphic with the example of the beveled edge.
Attached Images

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Ontario /Canada

Hails from Canada

I know it's been awhile since somebody responded to this thread. But,I just wanted to say to Marty if he reads this that it is the best plan I have read so far on making your own stretched canvas. The one thing I woud do different is have the screws, that secure the 90 deg pieces, on the inside. You could countersink the screws and use three instead of two per side on each corner. This way you don't have to worry about the screw heads under the canvas. If you avoid using glue at the corners and just rely on the screws to hold it together; the screws could be removed in the future if the canvas sagged, unstaple the canvas , tap the corners in and rescrew and restaple. This frame will then have all the benefits of the commericial made stretchers that have the keys and keyways on the inside but it can be built yourself for a fraction of the cost, especialy the larger canvases. I also like the idea of the 1/4" edge instead of the sharp point. If there was a concern about the acid leach from the wood in the future at the point and sides under the canvas, the wood could be painted with paint or polyurethane. This is the plan I will be following when I build my own stretched canvases. For smaller pieces I will be gluing masonite over the frame with liquid nails and adhering canvas to it with acrylic medium making a very strong gallery wrapped canvas board.

Thanks Marty, for this great article.

Last edited by brrice : 04-02-2005 at 06:52 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2005, 10:16 PM
A WC! Legend
Mandurah, Western Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi Brian,
Thanks very much for your comments, very much appreciated.

The new trend for stretchers is a rounded edge, apparently it makes stretching easier and has less of an impact on the canvas. I'll be investigating this further and will try it out on my next frame.

Your suggestion on the corners is a good one. To date, none of my canvases have sagged at all, although I did have one distort when it was leant on a protruding edge by mistake. I fixed that problem by damping up the back of the canvas and it retightened perfectly. I think most small sags would be rectified by spraying or wetting up the back of the canvas. Major loosening would require work on the corners of traditional stretchers to tighten the canvas.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Ontario /Canada

Hails from Canada

Hi Marty,

The rounded edge may look better too. I guess plans for building frames are like plans for producing art; there is always room for improving the original idea. But, I will say again it is the best plan I have read so far. I am a believer in creating my own supports and frames. I may not always feel that way but I enjoy the process of creating the supports and frames right now.

I believe many of the so called professsional built supports can be inferior to those built by yourself especially if you have good carpentry skills. Many artists shy away from this saying they would rather spend their time painting. That may be true for an established artist. But, a painter like myself whose not trying to make a living off my paintings and can't justify the expensive store bought framing and supports, this is a good alternative.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2006, 11:08 PM

Hi...I am just back to painting after 40 years....life interupted....but I do remember wetting the canvas before stretching it on the frame because it shrinks when it dries...Isn't this done anymore?? and if not is there a reason? All the canvas stretching instructions say nothing about water... Maybe I forgot alot more than I thought??? lol...thanks for any answers you can give me...Grambie3
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2006, 07:06 PM
A WC! Legend
Mandurah, Western Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi, Grambie3.
I don't wet before stretching. I can usually stretch the canvas pretty tight, but in the event it is not as tight as desired, wetting the canvas at that stage stretches it drum tight as it shrinks. Even if water is not applied directly, the first application of gesso is usually diltued with some water, and this has a similar effect, stretching the canvas even tighter.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Lord of the Arts

Here is a web site that gives a demonstration of wetting canvas AFTER stretching, but before priming with acrylic gesso.

Priming with acrylic gesso