WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2019, 11:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ohio

Hails from United States
Failure after success

I should have known that after doing the hummingbird, which I felt was a success, I would come up with some thing like this. LOL! It is one of my fears, doing something good and then losing the mojo. Oh, well...

I have a table with birdseed on it on my back porch and I have this piece of firewood standing in the middle of it. I trained my camera on the wood and caught Mr. Nuthatch.

I burnished and burnished with colors and with colorless blender and it didn't seem to do anything on the wood and very little on the bird. I used gamsol on the background and then colored over it and burnished with colorless blender. I couldn't get the blending that I wanted. I don't know that I have the patience for colored pencils. LOL!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2019, 08:41 AM
A Local Legend
The Free State, Maryland, East Coast

Hails from United States
Re: Failure after success

It's looking good, I think. It's great you can capture your own reference photos

Last edited by KarenESP : 12-10-2019 at 08:51 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2019, 08:55 AM
Lord of the Arts
Whitby, Ontario

Hails from Canada

I think this is good. When I read your post I thought what a small world. We all have similar ideas. I too put birdseed on the table on my back porch. But as soon as I approach the glass door to the porch, the birds scatter. A piece of wood on the table sounds like a good idea. I will go hunting for a piece that is not frozen to the ground. The squirrels also visit the table. I'm looking forward to seeing a cp work of your next bird visitor.
Vena
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2019, 05:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ohio

Hails from United States

Thanks, Karen.

Vena, I set up my camera on a tripod with a remote shutter release and sit at the dining room table, usually playing cards with Mr. Beloved and shoot bursts when a bird lands where I have focused the camera. Out of 500 shots the other day, I got 15 good ones. 😀
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2019, 07:39 AM
Swanton, Vermont US

Hails from United States

Ginny -- this is a good drawing -- indeed far from failure-- and about the blending - keep in mind that SOME PENCIL BRANDS BLEND BETTER THAN OTHERS.

AND there is no reason an image such as this needs to be "strokeless" or untextured! I think your nuthatch shows a lot of life--he is absolutely there on the chunk of wood!

Also when I know I'm going to need a lot of blending in an image I start ( and finish) with VERY light pressure and always light pressure on the blender as well.

I have found the Derwent blender to be the best over the blenders from Caran d'Ache, Prisma, and Lyra . I also use stumps, torchons/tortillons a lot.

Clair
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2019, 01:58 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ohio

Hails from United States

Thank you, Clair. I am definitely used to how to use colored pencils. I do light layers, but then I do a mighty heavy hand when trying to blend. LOL! I guess I am trying to make it do what I want it to do with muscle.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2019, 03:04 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ohio

Hails from United States

I meant that I am definitely NOT used to how to use colored pencils. LOL!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2019, 01:04 AM
Enthusiast
Grass Valley, CA

Hails from United States

Everyone has a style.. I like it where none of the white, the valleys of the paper tooth, to show, so it's a lot of layers. It all depends on the effect you want.. like jeans..they require a paper with a lot of tooth because you want the white to come through.. I have burnished with OMS..dont like it..muddies the colors..I dont like bending pens,,they run out and dont seem to do a nice even job.. I like my Icarus board because the heat melts the wax down in the valleys of the tooth and I can blend like I am mixing paint. My favorite blending method is to use the lighter color of the colors used and go back over the darker color with that lighter color and into the lighter color...learned that doing the portraits..If I was to give you any advise and I been doing this for 12 years ..settle on a go to paper and pencils..if you want realistic pieces..it's all about the detail..it is not uncommon for me to spend an hour or more on about an inch or two of the piece...I use ever thing in my arsenol like a knife, erasers, india ink, brushes, erasers, testing colors together on a seperate sheet, etc to get the effect I want.. it's a time consuming medium and one has to have the patience of a saint..it's not a broad stroke medium..definitely get a faber castell perfect eraser and a mono tombow eraser.. the perfect is like a typewriter eraser but it does not damage the paper and the tombow gets to tiny tiny areas...Another thought..sometimes my work is really good and then sometimes it's crappy and the only thing that I can figure is staying focused and taking my time makes a difference..dont rush it.

Last edited by clydeine : 12-13-2019 at 01:09 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2019, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

What a sweet little bird and I like the wood treatment too.

website/FB/IG/YT
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2019, 12:26 AM
PA

Hails from United States

Sharp points and light layers is the best way to learn the medium. Surface is also very important in this medium. What did you use on this?

Save
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2019, 06:20 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ohio

Hails from United States

Thanks, Yvonne. :-)

Elaine, I used Canson Mi-Tientes pastel paper, smoother side.