WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2019, 02:23 PM

Best Impossible to Find Watercolor Books

What out of print watercolor book do you wish you could get your hands on?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2019, 05:23 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Best Impossible to Find Watercolor Books

I recommend "The Lakes" by W Heaton Cooper.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2019, 06:37 AM
Swanton, Vermont US

Hails from United States

Hilary Page : Guide to Watercolor Paints -- it's out of print but still available used on amazon.

Clair
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2019, 08:50 AM
Enthusiast

The Winning Ways of Watercolor: Basic Techniques and Methods of Transparent Watercolor in Twenty Lessons Amazon
and
Seeing with a Painter's Eye Amazon
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2019, 09:18 AM

Mastering Atmosphere & Mood in Watercolor: The Critical Ingredients That Turn Paintings into Art by Joseph Zbukvic seems to be on a lot of people's wish list. It starts on Amazon at $153.88. Link

I bought the book when it first came out and it's a wonderful book to have for its content, but not at its current price!! I've always wondered why the publisher or Mr Z himself did not reprint it.

Cat
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2019, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Nations

Zbukvic's book is near the top of my list too (an intelligent interaction with a search engine will find you almost everything you need to know about it, if you want). I long lusted after, regularly checked out of my library, and now have finally purchased my own copy of -The Winning Ways of Watercolor- by Ron Brandt (suggested above) for which I spent more than I usually would for a used book, somewhere around $50, IIRC. I'm glad I got it.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2019, 11:02 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catspeare
... I've always wondered why the publisher or Mr Z himself did not reprint it.

Some years ago I contacted Mr. Z about this and he replied that there had been a "disagreement" between himself and the publisher and a reprint was never going to happen.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2019, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude j greengrass
disagreement" between himself and the publisher

I'm sorry to hear this. From my personal experience in the world of book publishing, I would have to guess that it's not Zbukvic's fault. Although I have literally NO insider information on that particular book or the relationship between that publisher and author, I nevertheless see so many signs of the usual trajectory that I find myself sympathizing with the author. Instead, I suspect that the problem is with Watson Guptill Crown publishing group and their approach to all books of this sort. I'm guessing that they can't "be bothered" and also don't actually know how easy it now is to re-issue efficiently and profitably, and because the older models (from, like, the 1960s) of book-publishing economics tend to preclude inflating the market with editions of older works, they're highly likely to still be assuming that newer is more sellable, and that recently minted is the only way to make a book. Or, even more likely, they'd be willing to pony up the minimal effort to make it happen, but only if the author would relinquish all rights to it and basically abandon any future potential profit from his own work.

Since it's a goose that might lay a golden egg, the farmer decides he'd better strangle it rather than let anyone else have any of "his" gold. To me it's really bizarre that, now in the high-quality print-on-demand era, so many book publishers can't get their act(s) together to re-issue things which are in very high demand. Wouldn't they want the profit? Anyway, I don't know anything specific about it, so, I shouldn't really badmouth either party and won't speculate further. I'll just point out, that it's quite often the case, that books originally destined for the how-to art market, and for the coffee-table look-at art market, after running out an original print-run, then see a later resurgence in demand again and would re-sell quite well, books which authors and editors would be happy to update or amend, but which seldom nevertheless see the light of new editions. Many retrospectives of individual artists are also like this, even though (now) the technology to update, amend, and re-issue is so simple that the necessary office work can effectively be accomplished over one day, maybe two, with just a few smart recent college grads sitting in a small office armed with little more than typical home-user laptop computers. But nooooo ... can't do things the NEW way, noooo ... we never did it THAT way before .... noooo ... harrumph. I'll stop now.

Last edited by cliftonprince : 09-02-2019 at 11:17 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catspeare
Mastering Atmosphere & Mood in Watercolor: The Critical Ingredients That Turn Paintings into Art by Joseph Zbukvic seems to be on a lot of people's wish list. It starts on Amazon at $153.88. Link

I bought the book when it first came out and it's a wonderful book to have for its content, but not at its current price!! I've always wondered why the publisher or Mr Z himself did not reprint it.

Cat

That book is available at the Internet Archive site. (https://archive.org). I'll not put the exact link here, as I'm not sure that would be appropriate. I wouldn't even mention it if either the author or publisher were still offering it.

Last edited by drzeller : 09-03-2019 at 07:05 AM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2019, 11:43 AM

That book is available at the Internet Archive site. (https://archive.org). I'll not put the exact link here, as I'm not sure that would be appropriate. I wouldn't even mention it if either the author or publisher were still offering it.

Do you mean the entire book got scanned?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2019, 02:32 PM
Enthusiast
Wickenburg, Arizona

The link doesn't work for me. ?

Which would be the bigger waste:
your art supplies, or your creative soul?
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2019, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaTwo

Do you mean the entire book got scanned?

Almost everything ends up scanned on the net these days. Thatís a fact, not something that can be hidden or denied. I think it was the russians who were used to passing around photocopied forbidden samizdat who decide that the world really needs a big book repository, and the idea caught on. Some people I know seem to dedicate their lives to the idea that all books ever written should be online. I was very surprised to find out that many of these are upstanding senior citizens rather than young counterculture types.

I usually look at electronic versions of old art books, and if I like them I go on ebay and buy them, takes a minute and $10 usually, but often itís the electronic version which gets all the love because my large iPad is stuffed full of those art books and I travel with it. A good example are the Charles Reid books which I first read in bootleg versions and then bought as hardcovers.

I have full physical access to the big french copyright library, but it is actually much smaller than the net site founded by the russians because the french mostly donít purchase foreign works. I am not sure thatís really so smart.

Edmund

Last edited by edmund ronald : 09-03-2019 at 08:13 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2019, 09:54 PM
Enthusiast
Comfort,Texas

Clifton ,,I think you made a typo,,It's Rex Brandt, not Ron, I think
2nd rule,turn off the TV
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2019, 09:56 PM
Enthusiast
Comfort,Texas

Emma's link works if you take off the last parentheses
2nd rule,turn off the TV
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2019, 01:23 AM
Enthusiast
Wickenburg, Arizona

Quote:
I usually look at electronic versions of old art books, and if I like them I go on ebay and buy them,

This. Almost every book I've bought in the last five years has been freely available on the 'net, but after reading it on my computer I've decided to buy it.

I used to choose to buy stuff I'd borrowed from the local library, but now it's almost bereft of books, having replaced the stacks with computers.

Which would be the bigger waste:
your art supplies, or your creative soul?