WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:46 AM

Hails from United Kingdom
WN Artists Field Box

I havenít posted in quite a while and havenít painted either. Iíd like to get back into learning to sketch,though. My interest is in doing ink/pencil and watercolour sketches, perhaps when sitting in a cafe (if I can get over being watched and the embarrassment of not being very good at it). Iíd love to do it outside but this year there is so much rain ...

I have been thinking of purchasing the WN artists field box because itís nice and small to keep in my handbag, so I would appreciate all comments about this box and itís suitability, as well as any recommendations for colour swaps. I believe it contains one of the whites and ivory black and I am thinking I might be better to substitute other colours for these - and perhaps for other colours, too - but I donít know which ones.

https://www.jacksonsart.com/winsor-n...f-12-half-pans

A couple of years ago I was going to buy the Cotman field box but it felt very cheap. I havenít held the artists version but I am assuming it is better quality.

Or, would I be better off carrying a small palette like the Schminke one with 12 colours and carrying a water bottle? Concerned about leaking in my handbag, though. As for brand, I am open. I just thought these two boxes were convenient.

Many thanks!

Last edited by PaintDoodles : 06-11-2019 at 05:56 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2019, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Re: WN Artists Field Box

Hi PaintDoodles! It's nice to see you back. Unless W&N have recently (in the last few years) changed how they do things, the Cotman and Artist boxes that look the same are the same. My son has that box in the Cotman version. It's really cute. He found it pretty awkward to use. That's not much water and if the little cap goes on the water bottle, one is really in trouble. He ended up just using a Waterbrush with his. On the other hand, I think I saw Hazel Soan using the same one in a video and she managed fine. I have no idea if she was sponsored by W&N, but she was having no trouble. I think a while back, they were made of metal, with a screw top. I have a W&N Compact Set. For me, it's more practical, but also much less charming. It's definitely personal preference, based on what you like and how you paint.

Doesn't Jackson's offer the customizable box? Is that the one you mentioned? I'm not really a pan girl, so I never looked into it, but picking your own colours for a box set sounds fun. I can't remember which brand it is, maybe their house brand?

Carrying paints with you is a great idea! I hope you'll enjoy working out and about.Oh, and if you have to carry water in a bottle, check out Nalgene. They are very lightweight and reliable. They are popular with backpackers.

Noelle
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2019, 09:39 AM
Raleigh NC

Hails from United States

It is a very nice box. I had brought mine many years ago. It is especially useful when you have limited storage space and work area.

- Tesh Parekh
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2019, 09:52 AM

[I typed this and lost it once... I hope this goes through!]

I don't have any experience with that palette, but I'll offer some additional ideas.

1. Whiskey Painters has a palette that also has an integrated water flask. It is metal and you put your own paints in it. They offer a collapsible water cup, but it is overpriced; you can the same thing unbranded for less.

https://www.amazon.com/Whiskey-Paint.../dp/B00EJRJGBY

The next few refer to a small metal empty palette (SMEP) like this one. You put your own paints in it. It is smaller than the one you mention.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079KQDCSN..._V96.CbJVN162R
A larger version (more colors): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079KQ1NDS..._N-6.CbY1CB9RH

2. A smep with a waterbrush. If you're not familar, a waterbrush is a praintbrush with it's own water resevoir. They're actually quite handy and easy to use. They are popular with "urban sketchers" and folks looking to do things like you are proposing. The nice thing about this is you are ready to go anywhere - a park, a mall, in your car - and don't even need a table to put your water on. You just need a papertowel or cloth (many people use an old sock with the end cut off) to wipe the brush on. These seem to be well reviewed and I find them decent. My favorites were really cheap, ordered from eBay, and I could never find them again!

https://www.amazon.com/Pentel-Aquash.../dp/B01FUMOLOI

3. A smep with a cup of water from where ever you are. Also very easy, but does require, well, water.

4. A smep with a flask (or waterbottle) and collapsible cup. Like above, and similar to your solution and #1 above. The drawback is you have to carry your water with you (heavy, limited supply).

For all of these, except the waterbrush solution, don't forget you also need paintbrushes. In your case, where you want ultimate convenience and portability, I would look at travel prainbrushes. These typically are two-part, where one side covers the brush when travelling, then becomes the handle when in use. I'm not putting a link, because brushes can be personal. I got a set of well-reviewed, very expensive ones up front -- and hate them. They're in a drawer. So, my recommendation may not fit you (and could be more expensive than a *unsure* beginner should spend). I've read decent things about several brands, and would encourage you to google for reviews, or just get a cheap set to experiment with from Amazon. Look for reviews by urban sketchers and travel journalists. Here is one:

https://www.scratchmadejournal.com/b...for-watercolor

I would seriously consider option #2. It's inexpensive, you pick the colors, the waterbrushes are fun and easy to use, and your investment is low if you decide to stop or try the other options.

To pick your paints, consider reading Jane Blundell's blog. One palette she recommends (which would require the larger metal tin or placing extra pans sideways in the small tin - very doable), is her 15 color mixing palette. Daniel Smith sells a pan set of those colors, but it is very expensive. You can do better getting tubes and filling your own pans.

https://janeblundellart.blogspot.com...ixing-set.html
https://www.janeblundellart.com/buil...f-colours.html

I hope this was helpful.

David
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2019, 10:35 AM

If you're looking for something to carry in your handbag have a look at this

https://www.cassart.co.uk/painting/w...d_gift_bag.htm

Without the drawstring bag itís very small and slimmer than the W&N. Itís actually a Daler Rowney set with 18 quarter pans. Just add a water brush and youíre good to go.

Cass Art also have a small sennelier set, and the W&N field box for £34.95.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2019, 03:24 PM
Atlanta, Georgia

Hails from United States

Another option is watercolor pencils or sticks (and a waterbrush).
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2019, 03:31 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

You can go with simple stuff from around the house...
Altoids tin with half pans- glue a piece of magnet strip to the bottom of pans
they will hold 10.
Cut the top off a plastic water bottle and stuff a rag or paper towel in it to use as a water container. Just about anywhere you go you can find a drinking fountain, water source, or bottled water. If you want to carry some water fill a small plastic travel bottle or spray bottle like in the store with the travel size toiletries.
Use waterbrushes. They have a learning curve but are convenient. Their downside to me is that they can get clogged up and not release water or they start leaking. Some work forever with no issues. They can be taken apart and repaired, but it would be a pain if one stopped working when you are plein aire. I have Escoda and Rosemary & Co travel brushes which I use along with a waterbrush.
Stick them all in a waterproof makeup bag or a quart freezer bag. I have not had problems with water leaking in my travel art kits, but if that worries you pretty easy to find a waterproof bag to put things in.

I have the travel WN box. I don't use it, not that there's anything wrong with it. I prefer a small metal palette that I took the brackets out of so it would hold a lot more pans and Altoids tins. Here is a picture of a small metal palette next to an altoids tin so you can see the difference in size.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2019, 03:43 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

To correct above- An Altoids size box can hold up to 14 half pans.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2019, 03:40 AM

I think it might be better if you just get a metal tin set like this one -> ROYAL TALENS : REMBRANDT WATERCOLOUR PAINT : 12 HALF PAN METAL BASIC SET

and a water brush might be a better option... if you dont like the feeling of waterbrush, you can always get some stackable cups from dollar store and bring a bottle of water with you..

if you have daiso, look at their art section, they may this...

if you dont feel like carrying your own water container, you can always get the famous PORTABLE PAINTER
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2019, 02:04 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

A Pentel waterbrush is my weapon of choice, self-contained water.

My current setup - I have since changed to a small metal palette.

Doug
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2019, 06:23 PM
Northwest suburbs of Chicago

I have the Cotman field box. My friend has the artists field box. I believe they are the same box except for the color of the plastic and the quality of the paints inside. The brush included with it is tiny and takes work to paint an area of any size. I like the paint, three mixing surfaces, water bottle, water cup, and sponge all in one tiny package. When I bought mine 25 years ago, there were not many travel paint boxes like it. Since then, several other travel kits have come out, many of them as useful and many at a lower price.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2019, 07:34 PM

Hails from Australia

Another vote for the Portable Painter.

Also might solve your problem of feeling too exposed as you paint in public. Just sit it over your thigh, under the table. 85% of your art supplies out of sight but still convenient. Prop a menu in front of your paper and voilŗ!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2019, 03:22 AM

Gosh, thank you all so much for your input!

I think I am steering away from the field box now. I think it is too ďplasticĒ and clearly the artists version is the same light plastic as the Cotman set. In addition, I would want to change some of the colours in the set. I was interested in it because it was an all in one solution, or so I thought.

As I unpack more art supplies after moving north, I see I already have one of those mini bijou tins that has 1/4 pans in it. I know itís filled with DS paints but i will have to find the colour chart I painted for it to get the colours that are in it.

I also have a WN tin with 24 1/2 pans that I bought. I forgot all about it.

I already have water brushes so I am set there, I think. I donít really like them or perhaps I havenít learned how to use them yet. I know I need to draw and paint a lot more.

I do feel like a visit to an art shop, though 😀. Maybe itís that art supply addict in me acting up!

Thanks again, everyone 😊!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2019, 04:04 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Get the large round size Pentel waterbrush, it lays down more paint.

Doug
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky
Get the large round size Pentel waterbrush, it lays down more paint.

Doug

Thanks, Doug. I will definitely give that a shot. The ones i have are by Niji/kuretake. I havenít tried the ones by Pentel.