WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2019, 01:29 PM
Atlanta

Hails from United States
More about stretching

What am I doing wrong?

This is clean thick Lexan, and I was careful to not move the tape around after placement...still, the next day after making the arrangement, it came loose:

The closer one is Bristol board, the other one is Arches block of Cold press 300lb (I know you not supposed to have to do this-but since I'm a newbie and am don't know any better.....)

\Name:  IMG_0431.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  85.6 KB

Thanks in advance
David
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2019, 02:48 PM

Re: More about stretching

Are you trying to stretch it onto a plexiglass? It's hard to tell.. it might be too smooth and has no tooth. Another guess is an old, crappy glue on the paper tape. Yet another guess is that you are saturating the tape too much and dissolving the glue. How big is the paper you are trying to stretch?

(myself, I've only ever had luck using hardboard from hardware store and for smaller pieces use ampersand hardbord)

Last edited by dustlilac : 06-07-2019 at 02:53 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2019, 08:00 PM
A WC! Legend
In the middle of Michigan's thumb

Hails from United States

Get a nice piece of baltic ply 1/2 inch. Make sure it is at least 1" longer and wider than the paper. After soaking and draining the paper place it on the board. Cut the tape to the right length, moisten and lay it on the edges of the paper. All the time adjusting the paper so it lies flat. Give it an inch of cover. Do the ends first then the top and bottom. With a paper towel pat the edges, not the center, and let it dry while lying flat. If the center does not appear very wet you can moisten it with a little spray. Good luck! Bill

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 03:22 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Gummed tape is an age-old method but I would use staples on a suitable backing board with a tape border if you prefer.

Doug
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 05:25 AM
WC! Guide
Edinburgh

Hails from United Kingdom

I stretch almost all my paper, using this technique. I agree with Dusty, it looks as though your surface is too smooth for the tape to stick to. You need something a bit rougher (I use panels of MDF). If the tape isn't sticking to your paper, it may be that you're using too much water on your tape - it just needs one pass of a wet paper towel - or the overlap isn't big enough - at least 1/3 of your tape needs to cover the paper.

The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do - Rowland Emett
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 05:55 AM

If you're going to use tape, I believe Scene Chaser has given you excellent advice above. He suggested baltic burch plywood, and I wouldn't skimp on using lesser grades of ply surfaces. Some time back I bought a full sheet of 1/2 inch plywood subfloor sheeting, took it home, cut it up and stretched many pieces of paper over it. Color from the treated wood seeped into the backside of the paper. In addition, the boards curved a lot after getting wet. Ugh.

Whenever I stretch paper now, I use plywood that has had both sides coated with a layer of polyurethane and allowed to dry prior to stretching. No seepage from the plywood surface this way. And I use staples as tape won't stay attached to this surface.

Best of luck to you!

My Beautiful Muse
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2019, 03:23 PM
Atlanta

Hails from United States

Well, before I sliced up my pretty piece of expensive Lexan, I looked around, and supposedly it was said to work for this.....but I think you all are correct-surface too smooth...

And, the tape might be not as much adhesive, so before I totally poo-poo the entire idea, and go to staple on pricey plywood, I'll do wet paper towel to moisten the gum tape.

You not supposed to have to do this on 300lb Arches block, right? Does that mean you have to leave the paper in block while working on it?

David
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2019, 03:35 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Yes you leave the paper on the block while painting. Once it dries there is a little space on one edge that is not glued. Slide a palette knife or letter opener type tool into that space and gently run it around the edges to separate the single sheet from the block.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2019, 07:48 AM
Atlanta

Hails from United States

How about the method where you get rippling during a project, so turn the paper over, and spray the back only, and weigh down w books, etc for a day or two? Then, your paper is flat.

What mediums do not have to be stretched? Real calf vellum? Canvas w gesso on it?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2019, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Yep, you can flatten afterwards. A lot of people do that. Heavier paper often ripples less. Blocks can work, but they aren't always perfect. My Fabriano Artistico 5x7" blocks do pretty well, even in 140 lb., but I think that's partly due to the small size.

Yupo won't buckle, but it's far from a traditional watercolour experience.

If you are painting wet-in-wet, you can just wet the front and back thoroughly and keep the paper wet as you work, and it will stick to your Lexan. Let it dry and add any details wet-on-dry. It might be a bit wavy, when it dries.

I think there are stretcher systems, too, but I don't know how difficult they are to use. A lot of us just secure the sides of the paper and paint without stretching, but I can see that driving some folks nuts. Good luck finding a method that works for you.

Noelle
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2019, 08:13 PM
Atlanta

Hails from United States

I’m one of those folks who seems out the hard and fast rules.....always do this, never do that kinda thing