WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2019, 05:56 PM

Hails from Mexico
Question What to do with your art?

Hi I was really into drawing, pen and ink, etc (basically b&w 2D) art back in high school. I'm 33 now and wanting to get back into art, but I'm kind discouraged because I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it after I make it, if that makes sense.

Back in HS I was doing it for a grade for art class, so that was the reward for my efforts, but now being an adult with a job an income and everything, I'm not really sure what the reason is for doing it, and even worse, I hate to spend the money and put in the effort into making something *I* care about, but nobody else does, just for it to end up sitting around my house.

I'm not really interested in this for money so I could care less about selling my work and everything, but how can you get any recognition/credit out there?

Last edited by Googlies : 05-21-2019 at 06:03 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2019, 06:51 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Re: What to do with your art?

Go ahead and make your art and don't worry about what to do with it until you get a few stacks of it like the rest of us do.

Seriously, just practice and show your art and you may be surprised at the response.

I pressed the space bar but I'm still on earth!
My work on Facebook
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2019, 07:14 PM

Hails from Mexico

Thanks. Where to show it? (I mean, besides here.)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2019, 07:18 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

Produce art, start a blog, upload to online art selling sites or stick it under the bed. Least you'll get is to interact with like minded people.
I'm sure many create throughout the world that care not one iota about any financial gain. Mainly I suppose that art is a way of expressing oneself through visual form.

If you weren't wanting to create, I doubt you would be posing this question on an art forum
So go ahead, create and see where it goes.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 03:45 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
I'm not really sure what the reason is for doing it, and even worse, I hate to spend the money and put in the effort into making something *I* care about, but nobody else does, just for it to end up sitting around my house.
At the very least, hobbies stave off dementia. Keeping your brain active is very good for you. If you weren't drawing, would you be doing with your free time? Something more or less productive than self-improvement through art?

As for the money, a decent sketchbook with good paper and a few pens and pencils don't cost too much, and they will get you off to a good start! You can go for further investment later.

Nothing left but smoke and cellar, and a woman with a black umbrella...
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 06:11 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlies
Thanks. Where to show it? (I mean, besides here.)

Show it here for oo's and ah's and critiques, then as Ian says, start a blog, post it on Facebook, Instagram, etc. If your community has art shows, join in. There are all sorts of ways to get your work seen and it starts a network of people that know about your work and you will soon know what to do with your drawings/paintings.

I pressed the space bar but I'm still on earth!
My work on Facebook
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 08:33 AM
Enthusiast

I think most of us have stacks of art under the bed. Even the artists I know who paint for a living and sell well have stacks of unsold paintings.

As for where to show, on line is great. You can reach a lot of eyes. Locally you may find coffee shops, etc willing to display your art on their walls. If you go this route I would frame behind glass or varnish well as these environments tend to put "gunk" from the air onto the surface of the art.

Many areas have local art associations and such that put on shows. there are two currently running near my house, with a third soliciting entries. If I drive another hour or so I can pick up at least two more. They range from strictly amateur to professional in quality and participation.

As for what to do with it, if you don't sell it you can give some away. Or even join the art abandonment movement, leaving art in public places free for the finder.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 08:40 AM

O.K. Here I go. I'm an old timer that really never cared about how much my materials cost so I always used what I had on hand. Like my father told me... a persons tools are only as good as the person using them.
I have never painted anything for anyone but myself and I have used everything from bed sheets to instant coffee when I ran out of paint.
Art, true Art, is an inner expression we do to satisfy our own needs not others.
As far as showing your work goes, my first was a yard sell we were having and I put some out for the heck of it. Sold almost all of it. People did not care if the canvas was a bed sheet or the best canvas on the market, they cared about what "they" saw in the painting.
So I would have to say to stay cheap and do for yourself and the rest will come....
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 12:25 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

I joined an art club, who has juried shows in both the Autumn, and in the Spring. I enter as many paintings as I'm allowed into these shows, and I've received some nice monetary awards for them.

I also enter local, juried, art competitions, and through that venue, I have not only received many, many awards, but I've also sold many paintings.

One does not need to hang art in a gallery in order to sell it. I have sold many paintings out of a coffee shop, and a barber shop, merely by convincing the proprietors to hang it on their walls.

I also give my paintings to family, and friends, as gifts.

I have painted many pets (dogs, cats, birds) on commission, meaning that people pay me to do portraits of their animals. If animals happens to be your "thing", that is a wonderful way to enjoy painting, as well as the financial advantage that it offers.

You might give some of these ideas a try. There is nothing better than doing something you enjoy, AND getting paid for it!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 12:49 PM
Lord of the Arts
Monterey Bay area, California

At some unknown future time, when I die, my estate will probably consist of nothing more than a small collection of paintings that I've recently made, and a 20-acre ranch near the California coast. Since it's possible that my art will appreciate in value, I think I'll leave it to my dearest relatives, and let the less-reputable ones have the ranch.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlies
Back in HS I was doing it for a grade for art class, so that was the reward for my efforts, but now being an adult with a job an income and everything, I'm not really sure what the reason is for doing it, and even worse, I hate to spend the money and put in the effort into making something *I* care about, but nobody else does, just for it to end up sitting around my house.

Relevant reading: The Case for Having a Hobby Without the Side hustle

It's good for you to have an activity that is just for fun. Somewhere along the way we as a culture forgot that.

My blog: http://ejsherman.blogspot.com/
Instagram: edward_sherman
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2019, 02:25 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Donate some to charities. They sometimes have shows where people prefer to buy art.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2019, 08:11 PM
Enthusiast

Make a painting to hang in a specific spot in your house. Decide what size and aspect ratio would look best there. What color scheme and subject matter would enhance that room. At what distance will the painting generally be viewed from. Approach this as if you were an interior decorator hired to produce the best possible painting considering all the surrounding elements. It's your house so do the painting in a style an manner that pleases you - and with a quality of craftsmanship.

This will really ground you. You no longer are painting whatever, for whoever or what not. But a painting that will be seen by you, your family and friends, in a real specific environment. THen begin to consider what paintings and arrangement to produce for the entire house. What color, style, subject, etc will enhance harmonize, unify your space.

Then make another set of paintings for your house that will establish a different mood, theme, for your space.

You can still and should show these paintings on a website/instagram or whatever venue you've chosen online - as well as any fairs, galleries, exhibitions, etc. - in other words, do everything you can to get these paintings seen(sold?) - just as you would if you had made these paintings with no agenda in mind.

This approach has been a godsend for me and put me on a focused path to establish my "look", my style - my palette my themes- in a way that when I was just painting "in the wind" so to speak never did.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2019, 10:21 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I make art because I have too.What I do with it doesn't matter.I want to keep getting better and better.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2019, 07:48 AM
Southeast USA

Well into middle age I'm finally getting past the thought of "what will I do with this". Just create. Stack them in the closet. Paint over them. Abandon them. Hang them on my wall. Just create. The most important result is how I feel during creating.