WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Cafť Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2019, 07:18 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States
Well, I musta' missed something!

I must be one of the very few persons on this planet who has never watched "Game of Thones" on TV. In fact, when I was first made aware of this program, I believed it to be a computer game of some sort, similar to "Dungeons and Dragons"; I didn't even know that it was a TV show! I think I may have tried to watch it once, and my fascination with it lasted about 5 minutes, as I recall.

Now that "Game of Thrones" seems to be in its last throes as a TV series, I wonder whether I have missed something--anything, at all.

Just so you don't believe me to be some sort of a sophisticated snob, my favorite TV serial (sit-com) is "Big Bang Theory", and I have watched some of those shows 5 or 6 times, as re-runs. Personally, I feel that the directing on that show is absolutely incredible, and no matter how the show has progressed throughout its time on TV, the characters have managed to retain much of their original charm, even through marriages, births, etc.

So, are any of you "Game of Thrones" enthusiasts, as enthused with that show as I am with "Big Bang Theory"? And, have I missed very much by not having watched even one show of "Game of Thrones"?

Last edited by WFMartin : 05-20-2019 at 07:30 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2019, 07:52 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Well, I musta' missed something!

Actually Bill, I have heard of several people who don't watch it. I am completely in the dark myself. Never even had any inclination to look into it. I enjoy Big Bang Theory, but seldom watch it. In fact, I don't really watch a lot of TV, even though it is on most of the day. I just keep it going for company and to check the news and weather.

I pressed the space bar but I'm still on earth!
My work on Facebook
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2019, 07:54 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

the story is called A Song of Ice and Fire

the ice is Hate, the fire is Lust
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2019, 08:01 PM
Lord of the Arts
Monterey Bay area, California

Bill, I stopped watching television decades ago, except for a few sports programs that I see in pubs (fewer than you might think). I know of the existence of a few well-known shows, and have even seen a few partial episodes of such things as The Simpsons, primarily because they were filling the screen until the sports event came on. I did see one episode of The Sopranos on DVD, because it has a certain cultural connection to... never mind.

When I want entertainment, I go to the opera or symphony.

I also supposed that Game of Thrones was a computer game. But even politically oriented web sites mention it from time to time (I don't bother to read those articles). It is also frequently mentioned on general news sites, which is how I know that a recent episode inadvertently showed a plastic water bottle beneath one of the seats.

My guess is that the show is over-rated. This is based on the fact that I have not heard anyone talk about it. My lifestyle is such that nearly every day, I take buses to and from the local university phys ed facility (I pay to use it, not being a student). The buses are always full of students on their way to or from classes. They talk about many things; but I cannot recall any discussion revolving around Game of Thrones. Perhaps its student aficionados live on campus or commute by car, and thus don't take the bus?

You may recall the "Who shot J.R." thing from Dallas, years ago. Publicity is where you find it.

Note that you and I are of approximately the same generation.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:03 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

I have never watched game of thrones. I've seen glimpses of big bang theory which I found funny. I never watch reality TV. I do like a good film though and one of my favourites is Arne Knight Templar. I don't usually favour musicals but I liked The greatest showman and I watched a wonderful animated film with my small grandchildren, Moana. Worth watching for the animation alone.

Some of my friends mention characters from game of thrones and my granddaughter, characters from Harry Potter, plus others. Having never read or watched either, I have no idea what they're on about.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:12 PM
Lord of the Arts
Monterey Bay area, California

Currently at a pub waiting for the Warriors vs Trailblazers game. Asked barflies about GOT. Nobody over 50 watched it, male or female. All in their 20s or 30s followed it entirely. Sample missing 40s.

Last edited by Pinguino : 05-20-2019 at 09:14 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:22 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

I have watched all the episodes and read the books. A friend recommended it when it was in the 2nd season, and I have been hooked since.

I have really enjoyed the TV series, a lot, I have to say. Is it over-rated? Perhaps over-hyped would be a better description. I have found it very engaging. It is quite violent, and so there have been scenes that I have skipped completely.

It is a show that has had a lot of characters, and did a generally good job of developing characters to show both their strengths and their weaknesses. Many characters who are not nice people do have some redeeming features or moments. And some characters who are the heroes also have flaws that are their undoing. Serious flaws, and serious undoing. Characters develop deep and sometimes unlikely bonds between themselves over the course of the series, and also bitter enmities.

The viewer learns very early in the series that anyone can be killed at any moment, even characters that seem to be essential to the plot. Just like the real world, no one is indispensable, and after a major death the power alliances reform. Some characters are killed and then resurrected---another twist that one doesn't see coming.

The plot contains strands of stories from real history (the Dark Ages and Medieval periods) like the War of the Roses, or from myth, like the story of Agamemnon & Iphigenia. Youth does not spare anyone from being badly mauled by events. Corruption is often rewarded, for a time anyway. The innocent are often destroyed. Entire great families are brought to ruin and wiped out, one after another as they squabble for power, or exact revenge.

Over the years many of the younger characters (those who survived) have evolved and 'come of age' after going through traumatic experiences. Few of the older characters survived to the end, so the story arc reflects a changing of power from an older generation to a younger one.

Some of the acting has been absolutely superb. Peter Dinklage in particular played his role exceptionally well. But there were many, many other outstanding performances over the 8 seasons.

This season has been the least impressive for me, overall. The story had to wrap itself up and there was a bit of a "let's get this done" feel to several of the episodes. A lot of inevitability.

When we were in Spain a couple of months ago, I was very happy to discover that, by chance, we were staying a couple of days in Girona, in Catalunya, which had been featured in a couple of the seasons. It was a real treat to walk down a street and "see" a place-setting from the series. (Wonderful old city definitely worth visiting even if you aren't a Game of Thrones fan--close to Figueres where Salvador Dali's Theatre-Museum is located).

"What will I watch now?" I asked myself as the last episode ended. What will I watch now. How will I stop thinking about these characters and wondering what their fate is to be...I don't often find myself taken with a television series to this extent.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

Last edited by ColinS : 05-20-2019 at 11:07 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:28 PM

Hails from Canada

It reminded not a little of the Iliad, and I suppose it was fitting that at the end one of the major characters commissioned a ship of her own to set sail into the unknown West on her own Odyssey.

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2019, 11:24 PM

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEmmett
the story is called A Song of Ice and Fire

the ice is Hate, the fire is Lust

I disagree. That is not how I interpreted those elements.

The ice comes from the North. In this universe (unlike ours) seasons can last for years. Bad winters last many years, and many people perish. Every so often there is a catastrophic winter when creatures from the far North invade the south. If anything, "ice" represents the natural cycle of life---the return of winter is as inevitable as death. It is the end to which all mortals are doomed. In the series, the character that represents "ice" is sent to the Wall to become one of the guardians against the terrors of the North beyond the Wall. He is not at all a hateful or hate-filled character, and his last act in the final episode is not motivated by hate whatsoever, but by love and a sense of greater duty.

The fire comes from dragons. In this universe (unike ours) there are dragons which breathe fire. One of the main characters, a young woman who is heir to the throne of the Seven Kingdoms (by her reckoning, anyway) becomes the 'mother' of 3 dragons. She learns to turn the fire of her dragons against her enemies. And then against anyone who she sees as doubting her. And ultimately, against anyone. If anything, "fire" represents the destructive power of human conflict. It is the end unleashed on mortals at times of war. But unlike winter's death, it is not inevitable. It must be deliberately unleashed.

Last edited by ColinS : 05-20-2019 at 11:31 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2019, 11:27 PM
Immortalized
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Hails from Canada

I donít think you missed much Bill. I watched the first two and a half seasons via DVDs from the library before my patience ran out completely. The cinematography and special effects were pretty good, Iíll give them that. But the rest was just a sort of murderous-fantasy Peyton Place. I also tried reading the first book in the series by George R. R. Martin; I got through about 100 pages before tossing it.

I am, OTOH, really enjoying all the overwrought post analysis, especially concerning the last two episodes, particularly on political sites. Itís surprising how seriously some people take their entertainment. Apparently thereís a petition on the go demanding the last two shows be redone, signed by over a million fans.

And of course you arenít the only person not watching it. The last two shows had an audience of around 12 million in the States, iirc; given a population of around 330 million, that means 315 million had better things to do...

And I have to agree re. Big Bang Theory, especially the first the first few seasons while the actors and writers were really exploring the characters. The later series I found tend to be rather formulaic. That gets rerun here just when my partner and I (and the dogs) are sitting down to tea after supper. So we pick up on the good parts and chat over the rest. Followed by Jeopardy, which has been quite entertaining lately.

Cheers,
Chris
The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-20-2019, 11:55 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

No GOT for me ..I don't have cable anyway... I prefer to watch The office, Seinfeld & Frazier reruns.. LOL
Big Bang was good , but after so many years I can figure out the story line..

OHHH...NBA... Blazers just lost to Warriors ..
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2019, 12:43 AM
A Local Legend
Pretoria

Hails from South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldwell.brobeck
I donít think you missed much Bill. I watched the first two and a half seasons via DVDs from the library before my patience ran out completely. The cinematography and special effects were pretty good, Iíll give them that. But the rest was just a sort of murderous-fantasy Peyton Place. I also tried reading the first book in the series by George R. R. Martin; I got through about 100 pages before tossing it.

I initially very much enjoyed the series. Read the books too. And then somehow just lost interest.

Quote:
I am, OTOH, really enjoying all the overwrought post analysis, especially concerning the last two episodes, particularly on political sites. Itís surprising how seriously some people take their entertainment. Apparently thereís a petition on the go demanding the last two shows be redone, signed by over a million fans.

I noticed that, and it's kind of weird, because by now, if there is one thing followers of the story should surely know, it's that it is entirely unpredictable. You can't tell what's going to happen or who is going to get killed next. That is what attracted people to it in the first place. And yet, here the fans are angry that the story is not going as they anticipated. :-)

Quote:
And I have to agree re. Big Bang Theory, especially the first the first few seasons while the actors and writers were really exploring the characters. The later series I found tend to be rather formulaic.

If BBT had been anything like GoT, they would have killed off Sheldon just when you started to like him, and his girlfriend would by now have been eaten alive by dogs.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2019, 04:46 AM
WC! Guide
Edinburgh

Hails from United Kingdom

It's funny, it reads like the kind of show I'd really enjoy, but I have never seen it. I guess I should give it a go.

On the other hand, my mum loved it (except for the end, apparently) and is watching the whole thing again from the start. She's 68. A lot of my friends in their early 40s watched it too.

The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do - Rowland Emett
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2019, 06:52 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from England

Best thing I've watched for years was the BBC production 'Killing Eve' the villain is also the best actress I've seen for many years.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2019, 08:43 AM
A Local Legend
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

I've caught some excerpts of it and saw dragons in it. Once I saw that I knew it wouldn't be for me. I don't understand the hype. I couldn't possibly get into a show like that no matter what else was good about it. Not my thing.