WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 03:47 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado

Hails from United States
$$$ palette? Who needs it. Make your own.

Iím sure Iím like many of you who drool over the fancy and outrageously expensive brass palettes offered by Craig Young, House of Hoffman, La petite Palette, etc. I cannot afford $400-$1000 brass palettes. Not to mention the 6 month wait time for these hand crafted beauties. No aspersions intended toward these great craftsmen. They make beautiful boxes.

I can afford a Holbein 1100-350 and have one that I recently began playing with in anticipation of a summer plein air workshop with Iain Stewart, a truly gifted watercolorist and teacher. Iíd been playing with some ďmakeupĒ type pans that others have fashioned into palettes on the Etsy site using magnets. Well, I came up with this using the steel (magnetic) Holbein 350 and some of the magnetic pans I bought on Etsy. A few magnets embedded into an old cigar box to keep the 350 and the makeup pans in place and Iíve got mixing space galore, all mounted on a light weight cigar box. I put the 350 and the pans in the cigar box when Iím finished, and pack it all into my travel backpack. Super light, easy to set up and solid on the tripod.

Just thought Iíd share how one old cheapskate does it.

Last edited by munchmeister : 05-15-2019 at 04:17 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 09:48 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Re: $$$ palette? Who needs it. Make your own.

I love it! I use cigar boxes for a lot of things, paint and brush storage, supplies, travel palette, etc. A shop in a larger town nearby gives them away. I stop by there now and again searching for useful boxes.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 10:48 PM
San Diego, CA

Hails from United States

I bought a number of those make-up pans direct from the suppliers for cheap after I looked at the Expeditionary Art set up. I have on of hers with Greenleaf and Blueberry paint but I find the business card size a bit too small. I use the larger ones and put them in cigar/cigarette tins or old pencil boxes. Basically any old metal tin that has a hinged lid. I may or may not spray them white for mixing. I use the magnetic card strips that have adhesive on them for glueing to business cards and just cut them to size.

I do the same thing with whole and half pans and put those in empty cigar and candy tins.

I'm getting read to to cut up a cigar box to make a small French Mistress to hang on my tripod to use with my flex easel. Cigar boxes are the best do it yourself material for the artist.

BTW I had a workshop with Iain Stewart here in San Diego and he is AWESOME. Best workshop I have ever taken. (So far. I have one with Thomas Schaller this July.)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 12:52 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado

Hails from United States

Thanks for the replies! Great to see others using these items. This little cigar box has been my ďprototypeĒ box for several experiments in pochade box ideas. I want to glue some more neodymium magnets into the top board of the cigar box to secure all those little pans. I probably wonít use all these. Kinda over did it here but they all fit so well. And who doesnít need more mixing space? Post up pics of your modifications if ya have them.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2019, 04:25 PM
San Diego, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister
Thanks for the replies! Great to see others using these items. This little cigar box has been my ďprototypeĒ box for several experiments in pochade box ideas. I want to glue some more neodymium magnets into the top board of the cigar box to secure all those little pans. I probably wonít use all these. Kinda over did it here but they all fit so well. And who doesnít need more mixing space? Post up pics of your modifications if ya have them.

I went the other way.

I glued washers to my cigar box and put magnets on my whole and half pans so they would have a surface to stick to, but I can also reconfigure.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2019, 11:54 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaiuppa
I went the other way.

I glued washers to my cigar box and put magnets on my whole and half pans so they would have a surface to stick to, but I can also reconfigure.

Good idea. My local Ace hardware sells thin sheets of steel and I have thought of gluing such a sheet down to create a magnetic surface for magnetized pans of color.

My most recent experiments have revolved around a new Holbein 1000 metal palette that I want to use for both studio and plein air work. Iíd prefer not to be switching palettes around for studio vs outdoor work. Too confusing for me. But the Holbein 1000 is big. So Iíve played around with a way to use it with my grip tripod head (which Iíve used for years in photography work) and the Upright Panel Holder (UPH) from Joshua Been of https://www.prolificpainter.com/shop/ He is a fantastic plein air oil painter from Salida, Colorado and a truly clever designer of plein air easels and Pochade boxes. I use the UPH with my own cigar box contraption that utilizes magnets to hold the Holbein 1000. Sticks like crazy! The cigar box is mounted to the tripod using some wooden blocks obtained from yet another Colorado Pochade box designer, https://guerrillapainter.com/ . I drilled some holes and use these blocks to secure the cigar box to the tripod. Works well and is light weight, not too fussy to get it set up. My water cup holder is also cobbled from a photographic clamp and a RAM ball cup holder.

These are just my latest experiments. Always playing around with something!

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 03:10 AM
San Diego, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Good idea. My local Ace hardware sells thin sheets of steel and I have thought of gluing such a sheet down to create a magnetic surface for magnetized pans of color.

My most recent experiments have revolved around a new Holbein 1000 metal palette that I want to use for both studio and plein air work. Iíd prefer not to be switching palettes around for studio vs outdoor work. Too confusing for me. But the Holbein 1000 is big. So Iíve played around with a way to use it with my grip tripod head (which Iíve used for years in photography work) and the Upright Panel Holder (UPH) from Joshua Been of https://www.prolificpainter.com/shop/ He is a fantastic plein air oil painter from Salida, Colorado and a truly clever designer of plein air easels and Pochade boxes. I use the UPH with my own cigar box contraption that utilizes magnets to hold the Holbein 1000. Sticks like crazy! The cigar box is mounted to the tripod using some wooden blocks obtained from yet another Colorado Pochade box designer, https://guerrillapainter.com/ . I drilled some holes and use these blocks to secure the cigar box to the tripod. Works well and is light weight, not too fussy to get it set up. My water cup holder is also cobbled from a photographic clamp and a RAM ball cup holder.

I've thought of using a metal sheet of some time. Maybe cut some thin galvanized tin for flashing but I haven't checked for magnetism.

The cup holder is way cool. And you can move it to all sorts of angles and it will still not spill. Genius.

There is another site for Guerrilla painter that has occasional sales and will sell seconds at a discount. I've bought a few and have found none of the supposed flaws that make them seconds. Judson's Art. They also sell all sorts of parts and hardware for repair and to it yourself.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 11:29 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado

Hails from United States

Yes!! Thatís the place. Judsonís! Their shop is located in LaPorte which is a small rural town just adjacent to where I live, Fort Collins. That is where I found the tripod mounting blocks that I attached to the cigar box in the photos. Very clever. They have a thorough description of how to use them with their ďCampaign Box.Ē https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...463283 479934 The photos in that PDF are very helpful.

One can really save some money by buying their accessories and using them with a cheap cigar box and they have quite a few.

I have been looking at DaVinci birch painting panels which are just boxes without a bottom. But they are built well, light weight and come in many sizes (Jerryís Artarama sells them). Using the Judson Tripod Mounting Blocks with such a panel would give me the platform for my large Holbein palette, in a better size than the cigar box. Add magnets to this to hold it tight. When packing up, flip it over and put the folded Holbein in the open underside and slip it into your backpack with maybe just a large rubber band or two to hold it all in. Itís all going into my backpack anyway.

Yes my water cup holder works great, just as you say, it can swivel and be placed anywhere. Also in the photos is another little gadget I found surfing around, the paint brush holder made by SmartArtProducts, on Etsy. Genius.

Haviní fun, cobbling together my version of a plein air setup!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2019, 04:59 PM
San Diego, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:

Yes my water cup holder works great, just as you say, it can swivel and be placed anywhere. Also in the photos is another little gadget I found surfing around, the paint brush holder made by SmartArtProducts, on Etsy. Genius.

That *is* genius. Gives me a few ideas of my own.

I like cigar boxes because they are cheap. There's a place near my parents' that sells them for $1 each. I've got one I'm going to turn into a French Mistress as soon as I find my jigsaw. I've got a huge one that will eventually become a pochade as soon as I decide on a design, and quite a few for parts and playing with. Some of them are quite sturdy.