WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 05:59 AM

Hails from India
Gum arabic to preserve brush shape?

Hi
I'm probably overly obsessed with preserving the shape of my brushes as I store them with the tuft shaped with a weak gum arabic solution.

I've been thinking of making a small pan of dried gum arabic so that at the end of a session I can just get a small amount of it on to the tuft. I'm planning a mix of gum arabic, fructose/honey and some sodium benzoate as a preservative. I already have some food grade gum arabic and sodium benzoate and can snag some honey.

Is this doable? Does it make sense?

What ratio of honey to gum arabic would be okay? Humidity here is currently holding about 20-30% with temperatures reaching up to 40C in the day (North India). My Sennelier paints dry rock hard in about 4 days in this weather but that's just how summer makes them .
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 09:06 AM

Re: Gum arabic to preserve brush shape?

Maybe it could work, but I think it's overkill. I'd only bother protecting the hairs with gum Arabic for shipment or longer term storage. Pure dry gum Arabic is much too hard so I understand your reasoning. However, adding softer substances like glycerin, sugar syrup or honey will reduce the hardness that's protecting the brush. I think honey would retain moisture too well so maybe try 75% gum and 25% glycerin? Or perhaps you could put dissolved gum Arabic in a small 1/2 dram vial? I just bring some travel brushes and make a protective tube from some card and a rubber band for normal brushes. No waiting around for anything to dry and no worrying that my brush will get trained into a terrible shape because I was in a hurry and put the brush away before the gum fully dried. I'd also recommend filling your pans at an angle so that you collect color with the shoulder of the brush rather than wear out the point.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 10:06 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
San Diego

Hails from United States

Id not add honey, just makes it not dry out, and is much more tasty to bugs.

Using masters soap can do the same thing.

Its really overkill meant to solve a real problem, it isn’t making the shape better. Just store them upright and “free” of things pushing on them.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

I agree that doing this isn't necessary. Brian's right, the honey might attract insects and just storing them dry, with nothing touching the hairs, is all that is needed. In fact, it seems to me that all of that extra messing around with the brushes might wear them out faster, if you do this every time you use them. Even brushes that puff out when dry should go right back to pointy, when they are wet, again. Whatever you decide, I hope you find a system that works for you.

Noelle