WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 11:18 PM

Paint set

Good morning guys!
This is my first post on this forum and I hope not to make (too much!) mistakes.
I'm sorry if my thread is in the wrong section and I also sorry for my bad english: I'm not english native speaker.

I have a question about something I found on the internet.
I was looking for some watercolor tubes paint but I wanted them to be cheap as I'm not an artist and I'm with no great pretensions.

I found on eBay some Winsor & Newton paint which were very cheap...but I found out that they come from Hong Kong. Are there any differences with the W&N that I could find in the US?

Apart from this brand, could you give me some advises on a good brand and, possibly, not so very expensive?

I'm using the Sakura Koi travel set right now.
I love it but sometimes color are a little bit artificial (for ex when I want to draw landscapes) or too much transparent.
...well actually those imperfection could just be my lack of experience!!!

Have a great day!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 11:31 PM

Re: Paint set

I suggest to stick with your koi watercolor, it's a good student grade watercolor, you just need to mixing your color more.. if you use the color straight, it will look artificial regardless what brand or grade of watercolor you use..

look at the subject and try to see what color it actually has.. quickly you'll see that red apple isnt just red and leaf isnt just green.

as for transparency, watercolor are suppose to be transparent.. because it depend on the white of the paper to make your color luminous.. this is also why you need to paint in multiple layers.. if you just paint one layer, your painting will look very wash out..

Last edited by calvin_0 : 05-12-2019 at 11:44 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2019, 02:45 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Welcome to the forum. Your paints are fine, the important thing is to use good watercolour paper.

Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2019, 11:27 AM

Thanks for your answers!

I will continue with my paints, then, and I'll follow your advices, Calvin

@Yorky: "the most important thing is paper" this is what my teacher has said to me the first day of class.
I've bought a cheap canson to practice on my own and a good arches paper for the classes
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBarkley
@Yorky: "the most important thing is paper" this is what my teacher has said to me the first day of class.
I've bought a cheap canson to practice on my own and a good arches paper for the classes

the more importance for a paper isnt the price but what it's made out off.. as long as it's 100% cotton watercolor paper, it should be fine..
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin_0
the more importance for a paper isnt the price but what it's made out off.. as long as it's 100% cotton watercolor paper, it should be fine..

Well... cotton paper (or even wood pulp) is pretty useless without good, consistent sizing. But checking if the paper is cotton is a good start, yes.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleur
Well... cotton paper (or even wood pulp) is pretty useless without good, consistent sizing. But checking if the paper is cotton is a good start, yes.

well, since OP is still learning, I dont think OP need to worry about sizing for now.. just need to make sure the paper can handle water for wet in wet...

later when OP starting to explore and develop styles, then maybe sizing will matters depend on what OP want to do..

Last edited by calvin_0 : 05-14-2019 at 10:45 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2019, 04:32 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
San Diego

Hails from United States

There is no way for anyone to buy paper which is labeled with "good sizing" and labeled "bad sizing", you can't even tell after you got it, until you do washes and it's splotchy, if it's actually bad sizing.

However the papers which use 100% cotton ( which is clearly marked ) are expensive enough from the get go, that is absurd not to put in proper glues when making them to provide good sizing. Basically its far more likely they are not compromising, but then they also can easily run $5 a parent sheet.

The papers which are made from wood, wood pulp, heavily processed wood pulp ( alpha cellulose ), even those saying acid free, tend to have really poor sizing, the only exception is saunders bockingford. The goal here is keeping costs down and doing sizing well isn't cheap. Some seem good at first, as it does not go splotchy right away, but after it gets wet once, the colors get duller and duller.

But the two tend to go hand in hand, it might not be the best sizing, or the best paper, but if it's 100% cotton it's going to outperform just about every other paper not just durability when wet ( since it's cotton ), but also on how well the sizing performs.

There are bad batches, arches has had some issues, but frankly I've gotten a lot of arches ( probably 4 pads a week for about 2 years now, plus parents, plus fabriano parent sheets ) and only seen an issue once with my fabriano, and that was a really hot humid summer, the paper was stored in my cars trunk for a week after i stretched it. I chalk that up as self inflicted. Humidity and heat can destroy even the best sizing, and never stretch your paper until right before you are going to use it.

If your store you get it from, (or yourself after you get it), aren't careful in storage, it can destroy the sizing. Should be kept at normal room temperature and not overly humid.

Yupo is another option, but that is a plastic sheet which is its own thing. If you want to know what completely hard sizing is like, try a sheet of this, the colors are vibrant, things are easy to lift, all the particles stay on the surface. Usually we want sizing which is softer than that, just hard enough to get vibrant color.

Last edited by briantmeyer : 05-14-2019 at 04:35 PM.