WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 01:56 PM
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Hails from United States
Hyperrealism art

Haven't been back to WC for several years, still painting tho.

I have wanted to pursue painting hyperrealism for many years and am about to start when I finish my present painting.

Looking for any sites or help (info) anyone can share. Has anyone on WC done any
realism painting and if so where would they be found?

Thanks for any help you can give.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 02:38 PM
Northwest suburbs of Chicago

Re: Hyperrealism art

I should think it would require a high resolution source photo and a highly detailed drawing. Many such paintings that I have seen have all the fine nuanced light reflections on water, glass and metal painted with a sure hand.

My efforts at doing very realistic paintings is that at some point I get lost in the fine details and end up painting a dark streak where the reference photo showed a lighter streak. Or some bit gets painted out of place. I'm not sure if I needed more detail in the drawing, or less, to address the issue of getting lost in the painting details. I have managed to recover some paintings after such mistakes, often without others noticing the problem.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2019, 03:16 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

I don't have the patience for hyper-realistic painting but there are some outstanding artists out there. It's a case of painting what you see and not what you think you see.

Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2019, 06:24 AM

Look up Mark Carder on YouTube for a starting point on realism. Although he paints in oil, the concepts are the same. If you make a color checker, you'll have to put white gesso or watercolor ground where the color will be placed because black obviously won't work for watercolor.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2019, 06:27 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
San Diego

Hails from United States

Look up Chuck Close and some of his portraits.

There is some amazing work of his at San Francisco Moma which looks like a Gelatin silver print but is actually a watercolor. Think he used paynes gray.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2019, 04:29 AM

you could also check out this french guy
https://www.google.com/search?q=thie...w=1366&bih=657
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2019, 12:35 PM
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Hails from United States

I want to thank all of you for your wonderful comments and suggestions, have been reading, watching and preparing for the big move to realism.
I think my main problem is that I have to s-l-o-w down and observe. Will give it a try.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2019, 07:30 AM
Northwest suburbs of Chicago

You are right about slowing down and observing. Taking time to see the subtle differences in light and shadows and in colors will be key. Our mind simplifies things to make them simpler to understand and remember. We have to train our eyes to see beyond the simplified versions.

Our mind says to us that the chair as gray. But when we really pay attention, the chair has a range of gray colors over its surface. The window casts a shadow on the back and part of the seat and highlights the seams along the back. The gray is tinted with local color reflected from nearby objects. The red bag near the chair provides the faintest tinge of red along one edge of the chair. The chrome legs have curved shapes of light and dark and color that reflects the light around the room.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2019, 12:51 PM
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Hails from United States

Thank you Star Fisher for the wonderful explanation of what I need to be doing.
I have found a short "course" on how to do realistic painting.
I have to remember your explanation as it really sinks into my mind of what do to.