WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 07:25 AM
Lord of the Arts
Greenfield, Massachusetts

Hails from United States
Flying - TSA?

What are your experiences taking a travel palette through airport security? I am flying to North Carolina next week and wanted to bring my paints but fear an overreaction by the security people.

Thomas
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 10:24 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Flying - TSA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmwilliams
What are your experiences taking a travel palette through airport security? I am flying to North Carolina next week and wanted to bring my paints but fear an overreaction by the security people.

Thomas

Last year I took a one day workshop in Los Angeles and I only took a carry on bag with me. Had no trouble at all as far as security was concerned. I had some 5 ml tubes with me and I just put them in my ziplock with the other liquids/gels. As long as you don't exceed the total carry on liquid limit, you should be fine. If you are taking just dry pans in a travel palette, it's not a problem.

Or at least it was not for me last year on that particular Southwest flight between Oakland and Long Beach and back.

I've taken a paintbox along on every int'l trip we've taken for the last five or so years since I actively took up watercolors again and have never had any issues.

Let us know how it turns out.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 10:45 AM
A WC! Legend
North Yorkshire (James Herriot territory)

Hails from United Kingdom

Mine went through Dubai x2 and Bangkok x 2...never a query.
geoff
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 02:04 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Chicago, Jamaica, Phoenix, in the past 6 months and no issues with a metal palette and pans. Sometimes I take a few 5 ml tubes and I don't think security even notices that there is paint in with the toothpaste! Always take these in a carry on.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 02:08 PM
Northwest suburbs of Chicago

My travel set of pan paints never raise an issue when going through airports throughout the US and Europe. I have not traveled with tube paints. I would be concerned that the change in pressure may cause the tubes to leak. If you want to take tube paints, I suggest sealing them into small zip lock bags and then put the zip lock bag into the clear bag with other liquids for inspection.

Mel
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

Alvaro Castagnet arrived at the Girona workshop minus his brass palette, which was later recovered with his suitcase. He must have very good reasons not to carry with.

Edmund
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 03:45 PM
Lord of the Arts
Greenfield, Massachusetts

Hails from United States

Thanks, all. I have a mijillo palette. It's plastic. Sounds like it'll be okay.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 05:58 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmund ronald
Alvaro Castagnet arrived at the Girona workshop minus his brass palette, which was later recovered with his suitcase. He must have very good reasons not to carry with.

Edmund

They are very heavy? And also, maybe security would not permit b/c it has sharp corners and could conceivably be used as a weapon? I have no idea... Just speculating.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2019, 07:15 PM

Travelled all over the world no problem ever! Have a nice trip!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2019, 03:34 AM
Veteran Member
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

I've not had a TSA experience myself (as I'm in Australia) but when my parents went to America a few years ago, they brought me back a number of tubes of watercolour. They were wrapped in a plastic bag and the security people didn't even ask about them.

I've also gone on a plane within Australia with a metal paint box and after I'd shown it to them and put it through the little conveyor belt thing, they didn't care either. Not sure how much more/less strict the Australian air security people are than the US ones though.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2019, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

Just recently traveled Seattle to London and no issues - small metal palette box and pan paints.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 10:07 PM
San Diego, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7
They are very heavy? And also, maybe security would not permit b/c it has sharp corners and could conceivably be used as a weapon? I have no idea... Just speculating.

That's a $500 custom brass palette. More like a human magpie problem than a security problem.

Personally, I would never pack such a palette. Carry on only.

When I travel I take a palette with half or whole pans. I don't travel with tubes. Not just for TSA but also because of danger a tube would rupture due to changing pressures and I just find them bulky. I prefer to work out of pans so not a big deal. I also carry my sketchbooks and brushes on me, again for fear of lost luggage. That said, I don't carry my BEST brushes and palettes with me. I have some for travel that if for any reason they are lost or stolen, I won't be completely heartbroken.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 10:27 PM
San Diego, CA

Hails from United States

On another note, if you fly frequently, for about $85 you can go through a screening with TSA to get what is called a pre-check approval. You get a Known Traveler number which you can use when you buy your plane ticket. There's a 10 min. interview, often at your local airport but they have other offices in larger cities. You're basically pre approved for flight and you don't have to stand in the long security lines but can go through the pre-check line, don't have to take off your shoes, jackets, belts, remove laptops or your 3-1-1 bag. Check through is about five minutes. It's good for 5 years so if you plan on taking some trips, might be a nice thing to have.

Once you have it, you can renew online.

I got mine in 2016 for a trip to Italy and it was fabulous to breeze through the lines in all of the domestic airports going and coming back where I had layovers. I'm planning another trip in 2020 and it won't expire until 2021 so I'm good.