WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2019, 12:49 PM

Smile Denise’s Earth Friendly Da Vinci Watercolor Palette

https://www.davincipaints.com/produc...wcpands-24.htm

Since there was the Daniel Smith new colours thread, I figured this would also be fine here. Anyone planning on buying? The price is certainly reasonable compared to other pan sets and I'd get it in a heartbeat if I had money to spare, but I'm kind of broke at the moment. While I have to wonder if some of the colours excluded are really that bad for the environment, the earth friendly limitation has produced a nice unique combination of colours, although I do wish that there was a bright orange!

I've made my peace with Jane's grey. While it's not an original combination, Jane Blundell does have the history of tubing it for her students, so it's not like someone just randomly got Daniel Smith to sell it under their name. So sure, why not?

Denise's green on the other hand, looks to be a pretty unique combination? Or at least not ubiquitous (until now? ). Also, I highly doubt it's a 50/50 ratio either, so it's very convenient to have it premixed. And to make it even better, the name wasn't her idea. Davinci suggested the name after she proposed the mix to them. So if naming convenience mixes after people is a thing again now, and even if it wasn't, this is well deserved.

But yeah! What do you all think of the colour choices? I like the bias towards earth tones, but I would love an azo orange (po62) in there. It's certainly nice having an expansive, vegan, and environmentally friendly professional watercolour set on the market for those looking for that, and the colour choices look great even if the ethical focus is not your concern.

Last edited by kleur : 04-04-2019 at 01:17 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2019, 01:30 PM
Enthusiast
South of France

Hails from France
Re: Denise’s Earth Friendly Da Vinci Watercolor Palette

I have just watched her video.
These look as very interesting colours. DaVinci doesn't ship to Europe (or, at least not to France).

I could not prevent from wondering about the discrepancybetween wanting, and making, a vegan line of watercolours, and using Black Velvet brushes!!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by provenceaquarelle
I have just watched her video.
These look as very interesting colours. DaVinci doesn't ship to Europe (or, at least not to France).

I could not prevent from wondering about the discrepancybetween wanting, and making, a vegan line of watercolours, and using Black Velvet brushes!!

I can't speak for Denise, but I think the vegan thing was 'why not kill two birds with one stone?' Davinci paints don't contain oxgall, so it was a simple matter of avoiding ivory black. I edited my post, since Denise's focus has always been environmental rather than vegan art supplies.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2019, 03:44 AM
Enthusiast
South of France

Hails from France

Yes, I agree that "earth friendly" applies better than "vegan", even if she uses "vegan".
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2019, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member
England

Hails from United Kingdom

Re-using a box as a container would be maybe more earth-friendly than buying a new set - therefore anyone who can afford to scrounge unwanted containers can afford an "earth-friendly" palette. If your paint collection is already non-toxic that is a real environmentally respectful combination.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTent
Re-using a box as a container would be maybe more earth-friendly than buying a new set - therefore anyone who can afford to scrounge unwanted containers can afford an "earth-friendly" palette. If your paint collection is already non-toxic that is a real environmentally respectful combination.

Yeah, obviously that's the better solution if you already own paint and want to be very environmentally conscious. But this is especially nice for people getting started who want something like this but don't own any paint yet. And some people just love getting new paint-- not having to think about your rinse water is just a bonus.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2019, 09:52 AM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

I really don't have a problem with the labels of vegan or earth friendly or whatever. We are talking about environment protection which is something we never even considered just a few years ago. We're not there yet, but it's a start.

This set does look lovely. There are a few colours that would be redundant for me. I don't need indanthrene blue or burnt umber for example because I can easily and quickly mix them. The raw sienna and raw sienna deep are unnecessary... I use only PY42 yellow ochre on my current palette. I would prefer phthalo blue to the phthalo turquoise.

However, despite all these reservations for my own personal use, I would recommend this set to Beginners. It's just missing a good, vibrant orange.

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2019, 12:50 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by provenceaquarelle

I remember she said on her channel that she bought them as a beginner and thought they were entirely synthetic. No use wasting good brushes now, but still a little funny to use in this particular video.

Of the two curated palettes Da Vinci has put out so far, the Scratchmade Journal one was the most in line with my go-to pigments, but it's harder to find premade sets that really cater to earth tones. I'm sure this will be a great option for a lot of artists.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2019, 01:39 PM
Enthusiast
South of France

Hails from France

I see. Thank you, Violet Lake.
Indeed, no need to waste good brushes.
I myself have some natural hair brushes I was offered with, and of course I use them.

This aside, I quite like the earth tone of this palette. A pity that DaVinci paints do not get around here.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2019, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Nations

Ummm ... does anyone know, Denise WHO? Sorry, I'm under-informed on this subject.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2019, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliftonprince
Ummm ... does anyone know, Denise WHO? Sorry, I'm under-informed on this subject.

There's a link to her YouTube on the Davinci page, but basically, Denise Soden is an artist and former zoo educator who loves to paint and raise awareness about animals. She co-founded the animal artists collective, a YouTube group that makes art every two months to raise awareness about various species, with half of the proceeds going towards animal conservation.

Her videos are mostly tutorials, swatches, and animal paintings which might not be for everyone, though I'm still surprised that she wasn't on that artist YouTuber list! (unless I missed her)

Last edited by kleur : 04-06-2019 at 02:44 AM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2019, 02:18 AM

Hails from United States

I love Denise's work and would love to try her palette. However, I think that I will gradually build up my selection of DaVinci 37 ml tubes over time so that it is more economical rather than spending $100 on 24 half pans.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhwatercolor
I love Denise's work and would love to try her palette. However, I think that I will gradually build up my selection of DaVinci 37 ml tubes over time so that it is more economical rather than spending $100 on 24 half pans.

Same

Join me on my experimental art adventures!
Instagram |YouTube
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-15-2019, 06:16 AM

Hails from India

I'm thinking it doesn't add up to embrace copper (PY129) to ditch nickel (PY150).