WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:11 PM
West Midlands - England

Hails from England
sticking my paper to my board

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place to ask this question. What should I use to stick my watercolour paper to my board after soaking it please? I have traditionally used gummed brown paper. The problem with that is that although I can use a craft knife and slit around my paper to remove it there is still some gummed paper on the board and gradually this is getting more and more.
My board is getting lumpy with old gummed paper.
I'd be glad os some adive
Thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:28 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Colorado

Hails from United States
Re: sticking my paper to my board

I would try some of the methods that you use to remove old wallpaper. There's a gel made by Zinsser called DIF, or you can mix 20% vinegar in hot water and let that soak on it (I'd probably soak some paper towels or a towel in it and let that sit on the board) or you can mix 50% fabric softener and 50% water.

If your board isn't sealed well (I can't tell what type it is) then the gel might be the best bet...it's less likely to swell the wood.

Jan
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:48 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Set the board on a level surface, one that you don't mind getting water on.

Slop with a cloth or sponge water along the top of the brown tape. After a half hour or so, it will begin to soak in, and begin to dry off, so add more water - keep the tape glistening with water. You could lay one or more plastic bags on top, depending on the size of your bags - one may cover the whole board. Your goal is to keep the water from drying out.

Let it sit for an hour or more, or even over night, depending on how well the tape is soaking up the water and softening. Add more water if necessary to keep the tape wet.

If you have a paint scraper, that would be a good tool. If not, a regular rounded dinner knife (not a really nice sharp, pointy expensive knife). The brown gummed tape layers should have softened up by now. Gently work the knife held at a very low angle, nearly parallel to the board into the tape from the inside (where I suspect it will be the roughest from your cutting). You should be able to pry up small patches/clumps of the gummed tape quite easily with gentle force, again, if not, more water, more soaking.

Don't hold the board with your free hand opposite the direction of force of the knife, if it skips out you might end up poke your free arm/hand. Besides, it's working right with a gentle pry/push to lift off some of the gummed up tape layer. If not, more water, more time soaking.

If your board itself is waterproof, you could even soak it gummed side down in a tub of water, or the bathtub.

Once you've got all the tape off, each time you've done painting, wet the single layer of leftover tape and peel it off in this method - much easier with one taper layer.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Last edited by KolinskyRed : 01-12-2019 at 12:51 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2019, 01:55 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Not too helpful but I would use Gatorboard and simply apply staples. They come out of Gatorboard very easily and hold very secure. You can put masking tape over them to preserve a white border.

Doug
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2019, 05:55 PM
West Midlands - England

Hails from England

thank you so much everyone. I will try the soaking - may try the staples if the soaking doesn't work. My board is plain old MDF
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2019, 10:25 AM
Northwest suburbs of Chicago

Since gummed paper uses water soluble glue, wetting the tape will loosen the glue. With multiple layers, it may take several passes to remove the tape down to the board.
I was not familiar with the term MDF. Is that medium density fiber board? (thanks Google) Is it like Masonite?
I have a backing board of Masonite with a waterproof finish. It was scrap trimmed off a larger piece when our bathroom was remodeled years ago. It holds gummed tape, masking tape, and even package tape pretty well. After finishing a painting, I wet the gummed tape and then peel it off. Sometimes I use a putty knife to scrape the last bits of tape and glue from the board to get down to a smooth surface.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2019, 10:47 AM
Oakwood, Ohio, near Dayton.

Hails from United States

I don't soak my paper before using it, so I simply use beige colored masking tape from the hardware store to tape my dry paper to the board.

Then, if I want it completely wet for wet on wet work, I use a flat brush to wet it. Otherwise, I just wet the area where I will be working with a brush before applying paints, then I wet another area to work in while the first one dries.

Sylvia
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2019, 06:12 PM
Northern California

Hails from United States

Hi binks,
No doubt you will receive very good advice here.
I have struggled like you with brown gummed paper tape and just made a mess.
I tried bulldog clips, white artist tape, masking tape and staples. I was a failure at all of them.
I have just decided that I will just use heavier paper 300# Rough and now I am happy. No more trying to secure it to a board. I got some Khadi 300# from Amazon and I am thrilled. No more buckling. Khadi is wonderful for granulation.
I plan on trying other heavy paper in the future. Good luck binks. Hope you find something that works for you.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2019, 08:41 PM

I'm with Doug. The gummed paper on the board was just too much work. Plus I couldn't get it to stick reliably. I finally just shelled out the money for the gator board. I bought a large one--- big enough for a full sheet (which I rarely do) and used a utility knife to get two half sheet sizes. Just place the soaked paper on the board, use a regular stapler around the edge. Use a regular staple remover to take them out. Can be used over and over. Waaaay easier.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2019, 02:09 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

I use 200lb Saunders Waterford paper which is quite stiff, so I never stretch my paper and find that four staples are generally sufficient to hold the paper.

Doug
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2019, 04:06 AM
A WC! Legend
Aotearoa NZ

You can pop your board under water for a couple of minutes. That will loosen the built up paper then you can peel it off.
Its what i do! Then allow the board to completely dry before using again.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2019, 11:13 AM
Lord of the Arts
West Chicago,IL

Hails from United States

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEXqxZtYvYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZoj69_HhHw

Last edited by hblenkle : 01-14-2019 at 11:25 AM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2019, 06:46 AM
West Midlands - England

Hails from England

Thank you everyone. Really helpful comments. Yes MDF is medium density fibre board and it is very good. What I did in the end was sponge water with washing up liquid on to the board and laid a cut open bin liner on top to keep the moisture in. The gummed paper came off a treat. I did it twice because of so many layers of gummed paper but my board is totally clean now