WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2018, 09:20 PM
Hillsboro OR (Portland Metro area)

Hails from United States
Comforter (enamel and crayon)

Title: Comforter
Year Created: 2018
Medium: enamel and crayon
Surface: masonite
Dimension: 18x24 inch
Allow digital alterations?: Yes

The whites are a touch pinker than IRL, and some of the Biederlack blanket's texture doesn't come through. I took a photo of my hand holding someone else's for reference, and one of the blanket in question for the color and nap, but the placement of design and folds is from my head.

I like the boldness of enamels and the slightly slower working time as opposed to acrylics, and mixing colors with oils is intimidating. The crayons were just Crayolas. I did this in layers, improvising to see what I'd get. The aim was to try to get away from the stricter realism of my drawings.

The arms feel awkward, but their placement and that of the hands is what I had in mind as is the overall image.

As I was painting the red coat sleeve I made several slips, and to cover them I widened the sleeve. As a result, my hand looks like that of a child, which is not inappropriate to the image.

C & C is welcome!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2018, 09:45 PM
A WC! Legend
Rabun Gap, GA

Hails from United States
Re: Comforter (enamel and crayon)

Looking at the image, the hands take on a 3-D quality. The hearts on the blanket speak of the innocense and love shared. A really nice composition.

The color on the sleeve of the other person looks bluish which seems out of place and gets attention drawn to that area. And it could be a bit fuller too in comparison to the red sleeve.

Would love to see the textures!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2018, 01:26 AM
Hillsboro OR (Portland Metro area)

Hails from United States

Thank you for the feedback, Carly! Yes, the blue does clash a bit. I was hoping the white and the shading of my skin would help with that. It's a memory, it was important for me to have the sleeve that color, so the answer would be to reflect it better elsewhere. About it not looking full enough compared to the other sleeve - man, you're so right, I hadn't noticed that at all. My own sleeve really got away from me!

The photo does capture most of the texture, though it comes across better in the white than the splotchier red.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2018, 09:33 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

Welcome to the MM forum at WetCanvas

Like Carly said, the hands are wonderful and they pop right off the page. I had to do a double take! I wouldn't worry too much about the sleeves...the sentiment behind your image is waaaay strong enough to overpower any problems. I've never worked with enamels. Interesting effects!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2018, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Ohio

Hails from United States

I dont think the blue is too bad, but you could maybe green it up a little. When I first glanced at it I thought it was strange that you photographed your artwork with your hands in front of it. LOL! Very good job. 😊
C&C welcome
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2018, 10:23 AM
Big Spring,Texas

Hails from United States

Fabulous work! I love everything about it...agree if you added a slight yellow to the pale blue you'd get a subtle green that would complement and compliment the reds.