WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 06:01 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States
Are You A Painter or An Artist?

Do you consider yourself a painter or an artist? What do you think is the difference, if any?

A good friend, who for an extended period hosted a wonderful Facebook site dedicated to showing art and encouraging discussion asked this question not long ago. I had never really considered this before. The question stimulated a long, extended and very worthwhile discussion.

As a result, I reconsidered and re-evaluated my personal take on the question.

So...I ask, for those interested, what do you consider yourself to be: a painter or an artist...and why?

sling paint,
Virgil
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 06:34 PM
By the shores of Lake Michigan

Hails from United States
Re: Are You A Painter or An Artist?

Virgil---interesting question that could have several answers, depending on the day, self confidence, cooperation of paint and water, etc.

I don't consider myself either....maybe just someone who enjoys learning all the nuances of watercolor and putting brush to paper for my enjoyment and the satisfaction and pride of actually harnessing 'the beast.' A watercolorist, maybe!

I am not an artist--I think of Andrew Wyethe, Van Gogh, Carl Larsson, and others who supported their families with their talent and passion. I am not a painter--sorry, I think of houses.

We need a better word for all of us who have fallen in love with this medium and maybe will someday (in our dreams) sell something, or paint something that will be priceless in another's eyes.

Thanks for the thought provoking question--it'll be interesting to read others' perspectives down the line.

~ Carol
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 06:39 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

To me an artist is someone who creates art. An artist may work in different mediums. A artist who works in paint is called a painter....like a sculptor is an artist who works in clay or some other 3 dimensional material. However a painter does not need to be an artist. A painter is also a person who applies paint to something, whether that is a canvas, paper, or a house! Without getting philosophical about what an artist is or isn't, or what art is or isn't, that would be my interpretation.
I would consider myself an artist because I put paint or pencil to paper and create an interpretation of what I see or imagine. Also I hope to let others see that same beauty that I am interpreting or that same emotion I felt. I also like to remember the scenes and the emotions of those times and painting is a way to do that.
If I fail to achieve any of that I still have lots of experience painting houses! I just got done helping my daughter paint several rooms in her house
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 06:52 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

“Artist” does conjure up thoughts of the greats both past and present, but I don’t think that an artist needs to be someone who makes a career and supports themselves with their art. Many have and do create great art and never try to go commercial, or do and don’t make a go of it….think Van Gogh….
Van Gogh was poverty sticken and never commercially successful as well as quite mad!!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 06:54 PM

Hails from United Kingdom

Most of us probably link the "artist" title with some form of recognition or success. It's a subjective and often culturally bised matter...
I consider all people who chronically express themselves through art, artists.

(C&C Welcomed.)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 07:31 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Greece

I don't like labels and that is the reason why I'm not labelling in the first place myself.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Comfort,Texas

I guess I'm with Maria on this one, I think words will come up short,,but to me art is basically the personal arrangement of the infinite, using a finite medium
2nd rule,turn off the TV

Last edited by Kaylen : 09-11-2018 at 07:55 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 08:18 PM
Northwest suburbs of Chicago

I think I am an artist. I express myself via a number of different media. Watercolor is on means of expression, but I also express myself via drawing, photography, writing, music, and even fishing fly tying. I am a painter as well, but that is but one part of my self expression as an artist.

Thank you for posting a thought-provoking question.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Nations

I'm a Certified Closet Management Engineer.

Seriously, as to the question, because I come to painting (art-painting; not house-painting) from the point of view of someone who spent a lot of time as a dry-media drawing person, I'm going to say I'm "an atrist" (within the confines and assumptions of this question). I'm OK to middling-good with graphite, charcoal, other dry media on paper. Put a brush in my hand, I get gloopy gloop (though not as gloopy as it was last year!) and I'm really still learning watercolor. I find it interesting just how SELDOM I manage to apply lessons from dry-medium draftsmanship to watercolor-painting. I can do a passable job of value and shape and negative space and form, and I can generally draw to gesture of the human body, and get perspective fine and dandy, when there's a pencil in my hand. And then kaboom it all goes out the window with the paintbrush.

I'm also a Pigmentor. I know my way around Handprint.com and HueValueChroma.com, especially the parts about substance abuse ahem I mean substance uncertainty. I think every artist, artisan, craftsman, painter, art-painter, and house-painter, all of us, are at some level or other members of the International Society of Materials Scientists. A Pigmentor is kind of like a Tormentor or a Dementor from Harry Potter. We impose our unreasonable pigmentation demands on the rest of the world and suck the souls out of anyone who tries to resist us.

Personally, I don't link the "artist" title with anything about being successful, whether it's success in money terms or in recognition terms. I might even go so far as to say, the "painter" title can be more of a success moniker than the "artist" title. I do understand a participant's hesitation to name him- or herself as a fully-fledged "artist" OR "painter" without there being some degree of worldly success to the pursuit in his or her life (though I suggest you might re-define success to be less worldly and more personal!) since otherwise any ol' bloke who doesn't take it NEARLY seriously enough could claim to be sanctified with the title merely by going to the local art-supply store and buying a Zentangle kit. Which he never opens. There's got to be SOME degree of conviction, commitment, longer-term investment in learning and development, I think, before a person can rightly claim to be involved in it, whichever of the two "it" ideas from this thread you happen to choose, painter or artist. Beginning is great, and (especially for younger people) I'd strongly encourage the understanding that it only takes time and commitment and energy and effort, and that "talent" can simply be ignored as far as the equation goes. But just beginning, and then never proceeding, ever again, needs to be discouraged from membership. So to speak.

As to Kaylen's comment about the infinite and the finite, now, that's a fabulous little gnomic encapsulation of a huge philosophical discussion. Thanks for the quote!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylen
to me art is basically the personal arrangement of the infinite, using a finite medium

Last edited by cliftonprince : 09-11-2018 at 08:52 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylen
art is basically the personal arrangement of the infinite, using a finite medium

Love. This.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 09:37 PM

Watercolorist, qualified as passionate and often experimental watercolorist.

Maria
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 09:46 PM

Hails from Malaysia

i am Daie.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 09:49 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

Lots of good responses and personal takes on the question.

Here's an enlargement of the original painter or artist question. Does anyone think they are a craftsman? Or craftsperson if you prefer.

What's the difference between a craftsman and an artist? When would one be a craftsperson, artist or painter?

Are you one or the other? Or something very different?

Sling paint,
Virgil

Last edited by virgil carter : 09-11-2018 at 09:51 PM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 10:08 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

So what is “art” and what is “craft”?
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2018, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member
Comfort,Texas

craft is arranging things according to a "template"