WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 08:43 AM
Blackpool

Hails from United Kingdom
Lightbulb A recent painting. Any advice welcome.

Only a year ago I was alway getting stuck with a painting half way through, now I'm a bit stuck what to do with this one, 3/4's way through.
The photograph is not v.good as I used a mobile phone.
I will try and get a better one done later today.In fact I will try to make a short video of it.
In about 2hrs or so.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 01:28 PM
Blackpool

Re: A recent painting. Any advice welcome.

A slightly better picture/photograph.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 01:58 PM

Hails from United States

It's quite nice as-is. But, since you asked, here are my observations: The elements of the painting (trees, sky, water) are well done and convincing. However, you need to establish a center of interest and draw attention to it. You could use the light in the sky, the shape of the clouds, the lines of the land or something else to focus on it (whatever it is). Right now, my eye goes directly to the center of the painting but there isn't really anything there. Also, the composition feels unbalanced to me. You might consider more variation in the height of the distant treeline and/or adding something on the right to keep the eye from leaving the painting.

"Things fall apart, it's scientific." - David Byrne
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 02:06 PM
Enthusiast
Monterey Bay area, California

Ah, the color rendition is much better in the second photo.

About the only thing you might add would be something in the mid-foreground water, toward the right. Rocks, rather than a sailboat. But that might be geologically inconsistent with the actual scene, and might also "appear added." So I'd leave it as-is.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 03:06 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Portugal

Hails from Portugal

I like it a lot, what is it thats bothering you?
The colours are beautiful.
The only thing that catches my eye a little is the blue strokes in the centre of the pinky area of the water, the couple of strokes look very straight.

www.sarahfoxfineart.co.uk
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

serene, otherworldly, as if tingling with secret life.
the abstracted elements make me hesitate - colorscape together with the surrealistic, rising water and shoreline on the left suspend ordinary opinions.
imagewise, like Kelvin said, more stepping stones for the eye to travel by might still create motion. examples;
open center bottom by creating a slightly darker patch with surface water calm, darker bottom of lake showing in glimpses; together with just as slight an extension of the orange on the water, so that it creeps down just a bit, or is reflected in tiny streaks a little lower.
lighten the treetops again very slightly, it looks plausible they would catch the sun?
add very lightly couple of small orange patches in the clouds above the trees.
very slightly expand the dark in the water to the left.

those are technical tricks. as actual critique i'd say the orange in the water stops somewhat abruptly and the adjacent blues appear to be little islands.

it's near perfect, can you do a digipulation? you shouldn't touch it unless you feel what i mean. i take it you mean the landscape to behave like a sort of fantasy animal, going to rest for the night, the waterline is supposed to rise?

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist. - Picasso
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 07:47 PM
Mississippi Gulf Coast

Hails from United States

Oh, thatís beautiful, Bob! I love it. But I also know that it isnít finished till youíre happy. So, since you feel stalled, here are my most humble two cents.

I donít have any problem with the gaps in the clouds; maybe you could just soften the edges of the clouds where the blue peeps through. I agree that you could expand the orange in the water; it may not be accurate, but it would be true.

Also, to create a visual path, you might consider the green reflections on the bottom right. Thereís already the beginnings of an angle there: the green and then the darker strips. Enhancing that, giving it more green right down to the bottom and letting it extend closer toward the center, maybe the right 1/3, would reference the diagonal of the tree reflections on the left.

The left is definitely heavier than the right. You could certainly let the topmost branches catch a bit of the last light. Maybe lighten the tree reflections with more of the dark green? And/or bring the blue water in just a bit more?

The rising water line under the trees confuses me, given the realism of the rest of the picture.

As I said, I really, really like it. If it does get better, please post it. That Iíd have to see!

Judi
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 09:58 PM
Enthusiast
Indiana

Hails from United States

You are very skilful. I would love to see some closeups of brushwork and edges.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2018, 09:14 AM
Blackpool

I am going to print this all out. The advice given by everyone is just brilliant.
I can see the mistakes & corrections that need doing now.
Thank you all.
@midwest @Ju-Ju-Beads @ronsu18 @equinespirit @Pinguino @Kelvin
@midwest I will try and get a better photograph done of brushtrokes etc.

At least I'm now managing to get 3/4 finished on a painting.
18mths/2yr ago, it was only 1/2 or 1/4 way before I got stuck.

You people are so kind in spending your time typing stuff to help someone, whil you could be painting.
That means a lot.

Last edited by BobHill : 09-12-2018 at 09:18 AM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2018, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Port Harcourt

Hails from Nigeria

Hi BobHill. It's a nice painting. I would recheck the horizon if it's supposed to be horizontal (if the water is cutting across the entire page) as it shows as dipping in the centre of the painting. Colours are beautiful.
Instagram www.instagram.com/oziomazart