WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 11:18 AM
Enthusiast

Da Vinci's Natural Pigment oils

Does anyone know the drying times of these paints? Since they are earth pigments, do, or should, they dry rather quickly--within a day or two?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2018, 08:46 AM
Mississippi Gulf Coast

Hails from United States
Re: Da Vinci's Natural Pigment oils

Sorry, Iíve no idea but Iím interested also.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2018, 09:02 AM
Enthusiast

Just because they are earth pigments doe not mean they should dry faster. Drying time will depend upon the contents that the manufacturer add to the mixture, or the base composition of the pigment itself.

Raw Sienna, for instance, is an earth pigment, but requires a lot of oil, and due to this, its drying time could cause cracking if used as underpainting.

Now, Umbers (Burnt Umber, Raw Umber) contain manganese, and these make them dry more quickly.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2018, 08:58 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

I had a yellow ochre that was very slow drying but then others that were faster.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2018, 11:01 PM
Enthusiast

Today I laid out a swatch of my da Vinci magnetite black and Arizona Brown then a swatch of them plus an approximately same sized titanium white. I mixed zinc white with the titanium, because this white tube has been notoriously slow in drying.
The study I started on Sunday, (Da Vinci black, alizeron crimson, cad yellow light, white), parts are still tacky. The areas that are black/white seem more dry than other hues.

I guess that's dependent: the drier parts are more black than white, the sky--more white than black--is still very wet.
I'm trying to decide if I want to buy more of this "natural pigment" line of the Da Vinci paint or not. I like the gold ochre and the Arizona red but don't really need either one.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2018, 07:29 PM
Enthusiast

It's about 26 hours later. Da Vinci's Arizona Brown is dry to the touch, both out of the tube and mixed with the white. Not so the black. Both magnetite black swatches are still quite wet. At a guess, maybe they'll be dry tomorrow AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2018, 07:45 PM
Enthusiast

Black is a slow drying color, it is mentioned by Ralph Mayer, and he warns not to use it for underpainting due to this particularity.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2018, 08:17 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbaba
Just because they are earth pigments doe not mean they should dry faster. Drying time will depend upon the contents that the manufacturer add to the mixture, or the base composition of the pigment itself.

Raw Sienna, for instance, is an earth pigment, but requires a lot of oil, and due to this, its drying time could cause cracking if used as underpainting.

Now, Umbers (Burnt Umber, Raw Umber) contain manganese, and these make them dry more quickly.

Earth colors are inherently faster-drying in oils. This is the very reason why Golden decided to add a small amount (around 7%) of umbers to their Naples Mixture, so it would dry faster.

However, you have to compare the same pigment formula. It's not fair to compare an earth color without additives to a quinacridone (which is slow drying) mixed to a cobalt siccative (very fast drying).

Of course, if the media changes, drying properties also change, and all this might even become irrelevant.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2018, 09:23 PM
Enthusiast

I'm experimenting with a Zorn palette, yellow, alizeron crimson, black, white.
Humbaba, I used the black w/white for sky and tree trunks. Trying alla prima, working faster and looser. (I need a lot more practice. )

Mythrill, That's interesting. I've sometimes added a bit of raw umber to my white because of it's slow drying time.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbaba
Black is a slow drying color, it is mentioned by Ralph Mayer, and he warns not to use it for underpainting due to this particularity.

This black in question is Magnetite Black, a bit different. Lets see how the experiment goes (I am actually quite curious).
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2018, 06:03 PM
Enthusiast

48 hours later: the magnetite black swatch is not quite dry to my touch.
The black + white is wet, will need at least a few more hours before dry.

I think for future use, I might be tempted to add a touch of burnt umber, maybe AZ Brown, to keep it in the family, but the brown is lighter than burnt umber. Maybe just a touch wouldn't affect it, other than to help with drying time.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2018, 02:24 PM
Enthusiast

Both swatches were dry this morning, about 55 hours after being laid down. There were "peaks" on the black +white that were still wet.
Does anyone else have experience with these paints, esp re Your colors vs the ones shown in http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943796
and drying times?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2018, 03:34 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntl
Both swatches were dry this morning, about 55 hours after being laid down. There were "peaks" on the black +white that were still wet.
Does anyone else have experience with these paints, esp re Your colors vs the ones shown in http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943796
and drying times?
Acrylic paint can solve such trouble with long drying time. Try Acrylic instead of oil paint for underlayers. Artist can start to paint on top of acrylic after a couple of hours or even minutes. When you like fastest drying time, the acrylic paint is the best choice!

Last edited by Gigalot : 09-16-2018 at 03:37 AM.