WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > The Darkroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2018, 09:40 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States
Darkroom Topic Challenge #58, Dried, Withered or Weathered, September 9-22, 2018

WC Darkroom Topic Challenge (C&C’s encouraged but not required)

Topic : Dried, Withered or Weathered

When I was looking at Irish Whisperer’s photograph yesterday (see below), I noticed that I was just as enamored by the “Withered” daisies as I was the fresh ones. And I wish to add that if this were a close up of the dead buds, I might have been even more captured by their character, form, and message.

When we photograph new and young, we see form and beauty. When we photograph dried, withered or weathered, we see form and character. Remember that side lighting accentuates textures and may be your best friend when photographing this type of subject. Please don't limit yourself to flowers. There are other materials whose appearance is also accentuated as they mature, like skin, wood, leather, and more. I am hoping that in spite of or because of the season you are presently experiencing, you will be able to find many interesting samples that would make great entries for this Darkroom challenge.

I edited this topic to include Weathered to expand the possibilities that may satisfy this topic.

Thanks Mike for sharing your photo that inspired this topic.

This Challenge will end September 22, 2018
Guidelines:
1) All photos submitted must be yours.
2) All entries are to be posted directly by each member into this thread in the DARKROOM.
3) You may post more than one image, however, please submit only one photo per post.
4) We hope that his activity inspires you to shoot new images and not just pull from your archives. However, images from your archives WILL be allowed as long as your image has NOT been previously posted on Wet Canvas.
5) You may use software to manipulate or enhance your images.
6) Since this activity is running in the Darkroom Forum, Comments and Critiques are allowed and encouraged but not mandatory. Anyone, regardless of experience, can offer his/her reaction to a photo, because [b]most of those posting in the Darkroom would appreciate your C&C. [b]
7) Please keep comments and critiques constructive.
8) Every other Sunday, a new topic challenge will begin.
Nikon D5100, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Tamron 16-300mm lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens

Last edited by Luv2shoot : 09-09-2018 at 10:20 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 05:17 AM
A WC! Legend

Re: Darkroom Topic Challenge #58, Dried, Withered or Weathered, September 9-22, 2018

Beautiful
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 07:48 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Darkroom Topic Challenge #58, Dried, Withered or Weathered, September 9-22, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2shoot
WC Darkroom Topic Challenge (C&C’s encouraged but not required)

Topic : Dried, Withered or Weathered

When I was looking at Irish Whisperer’s photograph yesterday (see below), I noticed that I was just as enamored by the “Withered” daisies as I was the fresh ones. And I wish to add that if this were a close up of the dead buds, I might have been even more captured by their character, form, and message.

When we photograph new and young, we see form and beauty. When we photograph dried, withered or weathered, we see form and character. Remember that side lighting accentuates textures and may be your best friend when photographing this type of subject. Please don't limit yourself to flowers. There are other materials whose appearance is also accentuated as they mature, like skin, wood, leather, and more. I am hoping that in spite of or because of the season you are presently experiencing, you will be able to find many interesting samples that would make great entries for this Darkroom challenge.

I edited this topic to include Weathered to expand the possibilities that may satisfy this topic.

Thanks Mike for sharing your photo that inspired this topic.

This Challenge will end September 22, 2018
Guidelines:
1) All photos submitted must be yours.
2) All entries are to be posted directly by each member into this thread in the DARKROOM.
3) You may post more than one image, however, please submit only one photo per post.
4) We hope that his activity inspires you to shoot new images and not just pull from your archives. However, images from your archives WILL be allowed as long as your image has NOT been previously posted on Wet Canvas.
5) You may use software to manipulate or enhance your images.
6) Since this activity is running in the Darkroom Forum, Comments and Critiques are allowed and encouraged but not mandatory. Anyone, regardless of experience, can offer his/her reaction to a photo, because [b]most of those posting in the Darkroom would appreciate your C&C. [b]
7) Please keep comments and critiques constructive.
8) Every other Sunday, a new topic challenge will begin.

Lorell,

T'is Irishwhistler - NOT "Irish Whisperer" on me username. Just setting the record straight Mate.👍

Mikey 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast
Cheshire U.K.

Hails from United Kingdom

Not sure whether I have submitted this one befoe but it does satisfy the requirements
Attached Images

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 09:53 PM

Hails from United States

Yes, it sure does qualify. I am wondering if you know some information about that interesting twisted looking structure.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 09:55 PM

Hails from United States

Back Door

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 04:12 AM
Enthusiast
Cheshire U.K.

Sorry Lorell,
I know very little about it, apart from the fact that I came across it in a place called Cala Millor in Majorca.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2018, 07:14 PM
A Local Legend
eastern coast

Hails from United States

Great photos! I love the old tree trunk. Looks like it was there before the sidewalk/concrete was put in. And they tried to save the old girl but she finally died and they don't have the heart to remove her remains.

Great back door, I bet it could tell some tall tales!!

Here's mine. From my archives, the shed, truck and the owner are long gone.....

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2018, 04:32 AM
Enthusiast
Cheshire U.K.

Some great shots here.
The door and the shed prove that some shots can look better in Black and white
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2018, 08:31 AM
A Local Legend
eastern coast

Hails from United States

Thank you, Ron. Actually I think the tree trunk would look good in B&W with the background slightly lightened!!

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2018, 09:25 AM
Enthusiast

Natalie,
I love that shot of the old truck in the shed. B & W suits it all well as does the grain / texture within the finished treatment.👌👌👌👌👌

Mike 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2018, 10:21 AM
A Local Legend
eastern coast

Hails from United States

Thanks, Mike.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2018, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast
Cheshire U.K.

Natalie,
No sooner said than done but I am not sure it worked all that well.
Attached Images

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2018, 02:36 PM
A Local Legend
eastern coast

Hails from United States

I like it, Ron! It's a start. I think when you isolated the tree trunk, something is not quite right...sometimes when you cut and paste, I find it pastes in the wrong place, and I think this happened with yours. I see double parts near the base of the tree and also double leg up at the top left of the trunk. Be very careful .....I find when I use Adobe Photoshop, instead of just paste, I hit Paste Special: Paste in place....and it puts it back exactly where I cut it out.

Last edited by Dreamin : 09-14-2018 at 02:47 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2018, 03:47 PM
A WC! Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Some terific images here - well done, folks.

My first attempt (not as good as those above, IMO) is an old tree stump that's been sitting outside and drying up for a couple of years, waiting for me to get around to making something useful out of it. The early sun cast shadows of a nearby dill plant on the stump...

(Nikon D7500 with Nikkor 18-300mm, shot at 170mm; aperture priority; f/10; 1/160 sec; ISO 100; edited in ACR then PSCS5)