WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2018, 04:13 PM
NY

Hails from United States
Paper suggestions for my style

Hey guys I am a beginner to pastels and there are so any paper types that I need suggestions from those who have tried many types. What I need is a paper that holds many many layers, works great with medium to hard pastels using sticks (for blending larger areas- ie under painting on ears of cats, or birds chest etc) and mainly Pencils ( mine are Dewent). I am looking for more pencils as I only have a 12 piece set and mostly plan to do animals, etc. So any suggestions on that too I would appreciate it. I would like to try seascapes of these days so soft stick pastels will become part of my arsenol. ( I don't even own any soft pastels at this point) I am not heavy handed I barely touch the surface even when drawing with graphite. I am realism style and detailed. So in closing, what papers styles do you think would suit me to try first ? thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 04:56 AM

Re: Paper suggestions for my style

Dakota offers a sampler of many brands of paper. It may be worth checking out.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 09:42 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

For many layers, I would suggest a paper with a lot of tooth. Sanded papers such as Uart (which comes in different grits) would probably be my first choice. LaCarte (not sanded) has a good amount of tooth as well. You just have to be careful with LaCarte as you can't get it wet or the ground comes off!

To see if you like working on sanded paper, you can get some from the hardware store (it's much cheaper). You could also try different grits that way.

The sampler pack is always a good idea, too.

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 11:19 AM

Hails from Czech Republic

Hi, my favourite paper for animal drawing is Pastelmat. It's not cheap, but I can highly recommend.
And as for pastels. Where are you from? In Europe, there are Koh-I-Noor cheap and good quality pastel and pastel pencils. I use them for most of my drawings. For underpainting Panpastels are best for me, but you can use any soft pastel sticks as well (for example Koh-I-Noor extra soft sticks)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 02:14 PM
NY

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwhitney
Dakota offers a sampler of many brands of paper. It may be worth checking out.

and can do many layers? opps just reread that many brands lol gotcha

Last edited by SngnArtist : 09-10-2018 at 02:35 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 02:25 PM
NY

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK723
For many layers, I would suggest a paper with a lot of tooth. Sanded papers such as Uart (which comes in different grits) would probably be my first choice. LaCarte (not sanded) has a good amount of tooth as well. You just have to be careful with LaCarte as you can't get it wet or the ground comes off!

To see if you like working on sanded paper, you can get some from the hardware store (it's much cheaper). You could also try different grits that way.

The sampler pack is always a good idea, too.

Don

Thanks for your suggestions ...we live pretty remote and I'm going to very much doubt that any hardware store here has sanded paper unless you mean actual sand paper to sand on wood. I did read LaCarte cannot get wet at all and takes well to harder pastels so I still might consider it later on. I'm going to check out Uart right now thank you very much. I don't plan to use my fingers much to blend as I have sensitive skin especially during winter time where they crack and bleed so I don't want to rub on any paper let alone sanded ones.(ive heard some papers can kind of chew your fingers)..I'd use blending stumps (again light touch mostly) to blend with and create some lines with so I'm guessing less grit might be better but i'll find some sample packs and test the theory out
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 02:28 PM
NY

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeruveeH
Hi, my favourite paper for animal drawing is Pastelmat. It's not cheap, but I can highly recommend.
And as for pastels. Where are you from? In Europe, there are Koh-I-Noor cheap and good quality pastel and pastel pencils. I use them for most of my drawings. For underpainting Panpastels are best for me, but you can use any soft pastel sticks as well (for example Koh-I-Noor extra soft sticks)

I am located in USA in upstate NY so I pretty much can buy any brand through blicks etc. thanks for the Pastelmat suggestion I'll look that up
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2018, 11:05 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United Kingdom

Art Spectrum Colourfix is also a great paper that can take a lot of punishment, media, etc. In lots of colours.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2018, 04:59 PM
NY

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by soap
Art Spectrum Colourfix is also a great paper that can take a lot of punishment, media, etc. In lots of colours.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind as one to try