WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > Digital Manipulation Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2018, 05:22 AM
England.

Hails from United Kingdom
An Artist's Question.

So, here's the thing. My end game is to paint pictures in oil paints upon canvas, not just take photos and play around with them. My chosen subject happens to be fairies/fantasy (long and dull reason - not for here).
As a 'figurative' painter, I can only paint that which I can actually see. So instead of live models (and their costs) I take photos of models (cheaper option).
Now, with modern day technology, I can plan my intended paintings long before I reach for any paints. Creating an old fashioned oil painting (the kind I like to do) is a commitment, the job is going to take me weeks, but now I can see the "end" long before I get there!
In days of old, this part of the process involved making piles of preparatory drawings and 'oil sketches' and still a fair amount of hoping everything would turn out fine. (I'm sure that the painters of the past would have loved the computers of today!)
From here, the possibilities seem endless, but with so many choices/options, settling upon a single idea becomes very difficult indeed. What should I paint today, what should I paint next month, and what shouldn't I paint, hmmm?

“Why shouldn’t art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world.” Renoir.

Last edited by Greenman1953 : 09-09-2018 at 05:34 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2018, 07:06 AM
Enthusiast

Re: An Artist's Question.

Greenman,
Your photo's are so incredible and your model is absolutely beautiful. I am sure any of those references used will result in an amazing work. Settle on one and go at it Mate, I look forward to viewing any oils you produce.

Cheers Mate,
Mike 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2018, 08:31 AM
A Local Legend
eastern coast

Hails from United States

Your cutouts are amazing, especially your attention to light and shadows!! I cannot help you with your question. Maybe the oil painting forum group can help you. I have enough of a problem just trying to figure out what to photograph!! Good luck with your question!!

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2018, 04:02 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States

I would ask the question, who are you painting for? Are you hoping to sell your work or is it for the pure satisfaction of feeding your creative hunger? If it is for you, then I suppose the answer would be easy, paint what you love and that which you find inspiring and interesting. Your passion for and interest in your subject will not only reflect in your painting but make what seems like a LONG venture, a very enjoyable one.

I don't know how "painting to please others" works out. I too think you should post your question in the painting forums and read the feedback you get from the experts there.

The only thing I can think of is to relate it to photography. There are some things that I am more excited about photographing than others, though I push myself to try various techiques and subjects. I feel that my photos of the type of subjects I love turn out better than the ones I don't feel that eager to capture.

I hope you share your paintings with us even if it is a link to the painterly forums in WC.
Nikon D5100, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Tamron 16-300mm lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens

Last edited by Luv2shoot : 09-20-2018 at 04:05 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2018, 05:05 AM
England.

Hails from United Kingdom

Having retired from work since last Christmas, my oil painting forays (when I actually start them - realistically - mid 2019) will be mostly of the self indulgent kind. I say 'mostly' because my plan is to supplement my pension by selling prints taken from my original canvasses, and (occasionally) to sell the odd small original in fairly local galleries. I don't need an income from art (I will be fine), so, I care not whether others like what I do or not and, once being a freelance commercial illustrator, that's a very liberating feeling indeed.
I shall post my oil paintings in this site when I begin and I might put a post in this forum, perhaps showing my initial working photos, with an accompanying link.
Thank you again for your kind words, it's good to get a pat on the back now and then. Fairy art is niche, I know, but it is my passion and one day I might explain the metaphor.

“Why shouldn’t art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world.” Renoir.