WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > The Shutterbug Pub
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2018, 11:25 AM
A Local Legend
outback of the black stump

Hails from Australia
Despite drought

I live in what is both a desperately arid clime which is also an irrigated paradise, for some.
Most of my life has been about conserving water whilst others slosh it wherever it will make them dinero.

Hence despite the fact that I earned my living from an agricultural environment, I was practising Xeriscaping long before I knew there was a word Xeri/Xero scape.
It wasn't because I was totally dissimilar with attempts at Latin.
Anyway, My garden consists of watering veges and fruit and nut trees and native plants that require little or no water after establishment.
I have been known to say that if it isn't for food and even then, you should try a native.

If you look closely, there is no shortage of flowers.

The strap leaved plant(Dianella) will a little later do this:

Even though you may have to look to see it.

Last edited by man from ironbark : 09-08-2018 at 12:06 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2018, 12:23 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Australia
Re: Despite drought

It is a no brainer really, if you have a smattering of Latin, the majority of the flowers in the above post have the Latin that says desert loving, in their taxonomy.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2018, 07:56 AM
A Local Legend
eastern coast

Hails from United States

Very pretty blue flowers, Peter. Yes, I say there are no flowers around my yard right now, but I bet if I lay down on the ground, I would find something, too. But we get lots of rain. This year TOO much rain. Causing damage to low area homes and businesses. We are watching Hurricane Florence in the ocean, hoping it does not turn towards me. It says it may get to category 4 before it hits land. Either way, we will get winds, heavy rains. I get 75,000 chicks delivered on Tuesday....they will get wet between delivery truck and poultry house.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2018, 12:09 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States

I enjoy the photos from you so much because I am tired of looking at the flowers that are growing in my yard and in the parks that I frequent.

Peter, you sure have some unusual flowers blooming right now. Flowers come in many colors but there seem to be few that are a true blue. But I have never seen one like you just posted in this series. Wow, so it's so blue and unusual.
Nikon D5100, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Tamron 16-300mm lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2018, 04:52 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Australia

As for drought, for example this year is now in its ninth month and our recorded rainfall for this year is less than a quarter of the annual average.

Last edited by man from ironbark : 09-09-2018 at 05:06 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 06:02 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Australia

All the dead looking branches will be red and candy pink soon. The pink was seen in the background of an earlier photo in this thread.

What isn't easily seen in the above shot, is this perspective.

Last edited by man from ironbark : 09-10-2018 at 06:48 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 06:59 AM
A Local Legend
eastern coast

Hails from United States

Lovely, Peter. Drought yet all the flowers. Mother Nature trying to protect itself?

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 07:20 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamin
Lovely, Peter. Drought yet all the flowers. Mother Nature trying to protect itself?
In the Wattle I do thread, I showed a photo of Yarran flowers. In seasons just prior to longer dry spells, this species flowers and produces far more than it does any other decades past.

I always see this a a pretty spectacle immediately prior to years of disaster. At this present time it a sign worse than any.

Edit, had to actually add Yarran after all.

Last edited by man from ironbark : 09-10-2018 at 07:52 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 08:01 AM
A Local Legend
eastern coast

Hails from United States

Quote:
I always see this a a pretty spectacle immediately prior to years of disaster. At this present time it a sign worse than any.

Gosh, I sure hope not. But weather patterns around the world seem to me to be unusual this year.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 08:10 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamin
Gosh, I sure hope not. But weather patterns around the world seem to me to be unusual this year.
They have been becoming unusual for quite some time. The predictions for climate change long ago saw my area becoming drier and warmer. I've been watching a long time.

It might be inconvenient but it is the truth.

We have had droughts but in my time they have become more frequent and for longer periods.
2010 saw the breaking of what was for me, 19 years of lower than average rainfall periods. Lake Eyre filled and that in itself is a rare event. It filled again in 2012. which was twice in 100 years. We have had what Mark would call, bugger all since.

This year to this day:

Average rainfall to Sep 297.4mm 58.3 day(s)
Total for 2018 97.4mm 48 day(s)
Total to this day 2017 166.0mm 59 day(s)
Wettest day 10.0mm Jun 28
Lowest temperature -4.5°C Aug 29
Highest temperature 45.7°C Jan 7

September rainfall
Wettest this month 5.8mm 1st
Total this month 8.0mm 2 day(s)
Long-term average 34.5mm 7.7 day(s)
Wettest on record 156.6mm 2016
Driest on record 2.2mm 2007

We have what we call dry area and irrigated agriculture. The difference is awsome to perceive. The dry area farmers know that they can make money out of mud but that dust cannot slake any thirst.

Ps. Don't take the copied off the internet records as the whole truth. "on record" pertains only to what has been punched in.

Anyway, so it isn't as dry as it was in this month in 2007 but in 2010, so much water came inland into mainland Australia as to actually lower the rising sea levels that are constantly monitored.

I recall that my dad used to say, "they predicted sunshine, you should take an umbrella". Though climate modelling has improved out of sight since then, the one thing that stands out is that when discusssing the way the climate is changing, the outcome is mostly to expect unpredictable events, more often.

Last edited by man from ironbark : 09-10-2018 at 08:52 AM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 10:08 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by man from ironbark

All the dead looking branches will be red and candy pink soon. The pink was seen in the background of an earlier photo in this thread.

What isn't easily seen in the above shot, is this perspective.

The same could be said of some of my images but anyway the wattle in the background of the first of the last spate of images was taken as a cutting from a plant in the bush that to this day hasn't to my knowledge been described by a botanist or grown by anybody other than moi.

Last edited by man from ironbark : 09-10-2018 at 10:14 AM.