WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2018, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

Trying Canson Mi-Teintes

I found this the other day and bought the set with different shades of 'natural/earth' tones. I'm still using Mungyo pastels (still waiting for a good online offer for Rembrandts...)

(can you see a cow in the cloud formation?)

To test out, I did a quick imaginary cloud and find that I do like Canson Mi-Teintes so much better than the DR Ingress paper. I've read all over the pastel forums that most of you use the smooth side, so I did just that. It was a little difficult after 3 or 4 layers on the clouds...but it's ok. Any of you use Mungyo pastels? It's 'chalk-ish' to me, but I've never have the chance to use other brands...
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 12:07 AM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States
Re: Trying Canson Mi-Teintes

Yes, I see the cow! Clever. Are you using the student grade Mungyo? That may be why they are chalkish. They make a soft pastel that handles like Rembrandt. Here is the link to Mungyo Gallery fine pastels. Mungyo also makes a hand made pastels.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 08:47 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Hey Constance, let me know the next time you stop by my place to sketch one of my neighbors. Sometimes they stand still for quite a while, probably trying to be good models. Nice cloud and it's so good to know you are trying new papers and planning to buy more pastels!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 02:35 PM
New York City

Hails from United States

I see the cow too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by water girl
Yes, I see the cow! Clever. Are you using the student grade Mungyo? That may be why they are chalkish. They make a soft pastel that handles like Rembrandt. Here is the link to Mungyo Gallery fine pastels. Mungyo also makes a hand made pastels.

Karen I have those sticks, I think they are much softer than Rembrandts...skinnier too.... but then again Mungyo has so many different lines all named the same so I don't know what is what.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 03:04 PM
Enthusiast
Windham, Maine

Hails from United States

those are great clouds, cow-y, yes, but they moooved me

apagefineart.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 03:52 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

If I'm not mistaken, the Mungyo Gallery pastels are the ones Maggie Price tried and liked quite a few years ago.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2018, 10:22 AM
The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

You should also try Pastelmat, it takes many more layers than Canson Mi-Teintes. Or Canson Mi Teintes Touch. The colors come out much brighter.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2018, 01:56 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Washington state

Hails from United States

Mungyo does have a large selection of varying quality pastels; rather like trying to satisfy all levels of accomplishment pastel artists! However, I have found the GALLERY line to be quite nice, and more affordable than most other brands. I think this line is the one Maggie Price was referring to. The HANDMADE Gallery pastels are about the size and texture of Unison pastels; maybe not quite as pigmented, but very close. Then the ones I suggest for anyone just starting out with pastel and wanting a professional grade is their gallery extra soft line. They are the size of Rembrandt but in my opinion better pigmented, not chalky, softer, and far better price than Rembrandt. For that matter I suggest these over Rembrandt for anyone wanting a harder, but not hard pastel. These work very nicely on Canson Mi Tientes paper as they don't fil the paper tooth too quickly.

Your cloud scape is quite nice, and I agree with you Canson Mi Tientes is nicer to work on than most other non-textured surfaces.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2018, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

I laughed so much reading the comments re the cow-y cloud

Thank you so much for the link to the Mungyo Gallery pastels Karen as that made me realise that I've been using the student grade ones - although on the cover it's stated Soft Pastels for artists (blue and yellow boxes). Did a quick search online (as I know the Gallery line is not sold here) and found some sellers that will ship to my country. The hand rolled ones is interesting but they can get as expensive as Rembrandt and other brands due to the shipping costs. Will see how it goes. Meanwhile I'll continue to experiment with what I have

Your neighbour should be an excellent model for me Donna! Hahaha! The one standing, facing the camera is soo adorable! I'm not sure if I'm right in saying that for pastels, the brand (quality) really matters...

Yes, I agree with you Jessica, I was quite confused with Mungyo brands so I was really thankful for the links shared by Karen, to direct me to the correct line of the brand.

Aly, that's super funny! Hahahah!

Esther, thanks for the paper recommendations - I'm going to keep an eye for those that you've mentioned, when I next visit the art supply store.

Thank you so much for the info re Mungyo Gallery pastels, Peggy. I'll be looking for some good offers online as I've mentioned that they are not sold here and the shipping fee can be pretty high...I'll need to make some comparisons - budget wise. May I know which is more pigmented? The handrolled ones or the gallery extra soft lines (round sticks)?

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions and links! Really appreciate that

Meanwhile, I did another experiment using the darkest shade (medium brown) from the Mi-Tientes pad:

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 03:35 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Germany

Nice and harmonic colors.
Your ballerina is beautiful.
As the other Esther suggested, I also want to encourage you to try PastelMat paper.

Esther
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Esther (ColorEnthusiast) I searched for PastelMat but the art store sells only Daler Rowney, Fabriano and Canson MiTeintes (regular kind, not the Touch line). Will include this if I do get to make an order online for a better quality soft pastels.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2018, 04:54 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Washington state

Hails from United States

Thank you so much for the info re Mungyo Gallery pastels, Peggy. I'll be looking for some good offers online as I've mentioned that they are not sold here and the shipping fee can be pretty high...I'll need to make some comparisons - budget wise. May I know which is more pigmented? The handrolled ones or the gallery extra soft lines (round sticks)?

The handrolled ones are larger, and more pigmented; thus the higher price. I wouldn't compare them at all in quality to Rembrandt. They are more like Unison or Mount Vision both of which are even more expensive than Rembrandt, but with good reason. They too are more pigmented and larger sticks.

The gallery extra soft line (round) are to me softer than Rembrandt by a little bit, and also more pigmented than Rembrandt; though about the same size.

Last edited by PeggyB : 09-13-2018 at 04:57 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2018, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you so much Peggy!