WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2018, 04:51 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada
Outside the Lines Chat Thread - September 2018

We need a new thread! How are you all?

The summer doesn't want to end in Toronto, feeling out there right now like 42 C with the humidity!!! And a severe thunderstorm warning to complete the picture... Please remind me of this when later on I complain about the cold, and the ice under my feet...

I am s-l-o-w-l-y trying my hand at drawing and CP again. I wear a clip-on magnifier I am relying more and more now to read the newspaper and of course drawing. It may be a wise idea to visit an eye surgeon before the snow flies, as the day to have cataracts removed is getting pretty close. Oh, well!

Boldness commands the eye, but nuances hold it there. Margot Schulzke
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 01:09 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Outside the Lines Chat Thread - September 2018

Hi all. I'm so happy it's September and the end of this horrible heatwave summer. I love autumn.

Raquel, it's great to hear that you are doing some hands-on artwork again. That clip-on magnifier sounds ideal to give you a helping hand (or rather eye!). I hope your cataract surgery goes well. I know several people who have had it and it seems to be a very successful, trouble-free procedure. I think problems are very rare and it's generally a very positive result, so I hope you are feeling confident about it.

My eyesight is starting to diminish somewhat too, but the strongest of the ready-made reading glasses you can buy in stores work for me at the moment.

I hope we can get a bit more chat going here now that the vacation season is over. I really enjoy hearing what people are up to.

I've been mostly working on my Nature Journal. I find I enjoy doing that more than making finished pictures. I use watercolours and watercolour pencils, with dry pencil on top. Some pages are looser than others. I have a very relaxed approach - I draw a lot of things myself but I'm also happy to trace from photos for outlines, or even use rubber stamps or outlines from colouring books. I'm purely focusing on enjoying myself, not stressing out trying to produce great art! I guess I could post some pages - I haven't posted a pic on this forum for ages.

http://claudiasartlife.blogspot.co.uk/
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 10:11 AM
A Local Legend
Las Vegas

Hails from United States

Frida, Get those cataracts removed. You'll be glad you did.
I live in Las Vegas and the heat is so much more bearable than in Florida where I just took a drawing workshop from Mike Sibley. It was so humid there. I always look forward to the beautiful winters we have here.
Happy Drawing,
Quwatha

Last edited by Wassie : 09-06-2018 at 10:13 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wassie
Frida, Get those cataracts removed. You'll be glad you did.
I live in Las Vegas and the heat is so much more bearable than in Florida where I just took a drawing workshop from Mike Sibley. It was so humid there. I always look forward to the beautiful winters we have here.
Happy Drawing,
Quwatha

Gaaah. I’m in Florida! Hot and steamy - the tropical storm brought in lots of rain this week.

I’ll echo that, get the cataracts removed. They mess with your color perception
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2018, 01:57 AM
Enthusiast
A 38 sq.meter apartment in Hyvinkää

Hails from Finland

I'm already waiting for a cold and snowy winter but because of global warming real winters in southern Finland are actually much rarer than in 1960s. Photo at Hyvinkää railway station by jkk79 via Google. Anyway the winter will be as dark as always - for some reason I like it.

Heikki
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2018, 10:39 AM
A Local Legend
Las Vegas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManedWolf
I'm already waiting for a cold and snowy winter but because of global warming real winters in southern Finland are actually much rarer than in 1960s. Photo at Hyvinkää railway station by jkk79 via Google. Anyway the winter will be as dark as always - for some reason I like it.

Heikki
Heikki, how long do your winters last. I like rainy or snowy days where I am shut in and can just draw and read, etc.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2018, 01:43 PM
Enthusiast
A 38 sq.meter apartment in Hyvinkää

Hails from Finland

Typically we have snow and below freezing day temperatures in southern Finland from late November to March (nights may be freezing from September to May) but really snowy winters are almost gone. White christmas was in southern Finland usual until 1970s but now it's too often black or gray at its best.

We have long and very dark winter however as Helsinki is about 60 degrees north and Rovaniemi (where Santa has his HQ) just below Arctic circle. But Gulf Stream keeps us about six degrees warmer than on same latitudes in Canada and we regularly have 25+ degree summer days.

This very neat stuffed fox was on sale at Model-Expo fair in Helsinki in 2008 (a cabinetmaker has a hobby) and it was a must because I love nature documentaries and wildlife books. I've seen inferior ones in museums. The photo isn't neat at all but I took it for another purpose just today and want to share it.

Heikki
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2018, 11:35 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Our weather has been strange to say the least this year. VERY cold, winter, lasted far into spring. So far, my spring nature markers were all late. For instance, I see fireflies the first week of June, usually, didn't see them til near the end. My butterfly magnolia was about 3 weeks late to bloom this year.

Then the on the back of hardly any nice spring weather, Summer. Hot, rainy, only had a few days we really enjoyed being out.

Now it's going to rain for 10 more days, and is chilly.

My 4 month old puppy is NOT happy about this cold rain. I tried to work today but didn't get much accomplished because he was bored and wanting to play. Not sure if the end of the week rain is being predicted because of the hurricane?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 04:48 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Thanks so much for the encouragement to have the cataracts removed! I have heard amazing stories, and here they are dubbed the "revolving door" surgery, because they take about 20 minutes and... NEXT!

Our temperature dropped drastically (reaching 11 C at night) because of the hurricane, and after a week will be more summery, and surprise! The flowers I was missing in my perennials are showing now. What gives? Time to enjoy them!

Our September chat was down about the middle of the screen, and this should push it up...

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2018, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member

The chat thread is usually 'sticky' so it stays at the top but I don't know who makes it sticky or how.

Nice to have a bit more chat this month! Anybody got anything interesting happening at the moment? Any plans for outings or projects?

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2018, 04:18 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

I have asked Elaine, our Moderator, to make it a Sticky. Maybe she is away...

Sunny day here, and going up to 28 C this week again.

I have been going again through the book the SBA in the UK published with Ann Scott. They have (I am sure you know about it Claudia) a long distance botanical program. It costs quite a bit, and attracts young/er people who have the dedication to go through a really long and demanding program. Ann followed it a few years ago, and graduated with Distinction. Even for someone using CP, the pages showing the process of her assignments in watercolour are pure delight. Notes about the plants, and all the mixes she'd tried, and some studies I'd be happy to frame and enter in a juried exhibition!!! Her personal process is also engaging, and the tutor's evaluations sometimes can be discouraging, but she stayed with it and her persistence was enviable. One of the best books teaching colour mixing by example I own.

If you are on Facebook check Ann's page with a lot of her work!

I have ordered a handful of CPs from the Canadian Curry's art supplier. Their online system is pitiful, but I had a gift card balance I wanted to use, and try some colours of their Premier line. Luckily the "leads" are pretty well centered, an important detail I always check, since it helps the sharpening. If the lead is off-center it gets broken by the sharpening. Some of them show the MEXICO stamp close to the tip, others simply don't. I am convinced that the quality improved after hearing the complaints of so many CP artists around the world...

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2018, 08:52 AM
PA

Hails from United States

Ahhhhh, it's so nice to see some chat happening here!! Raquel, thank you so much for starting the OTL! It sounds like it might be time to bite the bullet and take care of those eyes. I hate not being able to see clearly. I have progressive contact lenses, but I don't like to wear them when I'm painting or drawing because things are just not crisp enough. I have to wear my glasses for art making.

My apologies for my absence in the last few weeks. I have had several smallish trips, and then in between it's all catching up with life, and house and family, and still trying to get some artwork done. I was supposed to be traveling to North Carolina for one last trip this evening, but Hurricane Florence had similar travel plans, soooooo, I am staying home. My thoughts are with the people in Miss Florence's path. It's looking like she may have weakened a bit, but will likely still be a colossal rain event.

Our summer weather in Pennsylvania has been pretty crappy, to be totally honest. So much heat and moisture. When it wasn't hot and humid, it was pouring rain, cloudy and damp for days. We've had to clean our porch of the mildew that was growing on it. And we're not finished with damp weather yet.

When I have been home I've been busy painting in my studio. When I travel, I play with colored pencils and graphite in my sketchbook. I really have a lot of fun with them. I ignore just about every CP 'rule' and just scribble and play. I'll see if I can get some of them in a format that will upload. If any of you are on Instagram, you can keep up with me there. I post there fairly frequently as elainehartman_art. The link is in my sig line.

Okay, off to catch up in the forum!!

Save
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2018, 12:01 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Thank you Elaine!!!

I haven't read the news yet, but Florence seemed yesterday like quite a threat for so many. Let's hope for the least damage to all... Leave your home, and come back to see a bunch of debris? It must be quite a life blow for anyone!

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2018, 02:36 AM
Veteran Member

Raquel - I have that book too and it's beautiful but somewhat intimidating! Her standard of work is so high that at first it made me wonder what's the point of me even bothering at my level because I know I'll never reach that kind of standard of very realistic painting (I know - very negative thinking!).

I've totally changed my thinking now though - I've discovered through sketchbooks and my art journal that I actually prefer a quicker, looser, more illustrative style of working, so I've settled on that, and am enjoying my artwork so much more now. I sometimes do more detail, sometimes less - but with no pressure. It suits me perfectly.

Elaine - I'd LOVE to see some of your watersoluble and CP sketches. Shall we try and wake up The Sketchbook Thread and get that going too? I've been doing similar (watersoluble and CP), so I could post some too. I'd love to see anybody else's too. Do you sketch, Raquel?

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2018, 04:17 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

I will never reach Ann Scott's status, but I want to learn from her! I have actually chosen from the book a bud I love for its colour and volume, and want to do it in CP showing how the planes add to it to make it so 3-dimensional with such a slight depth of field... An exercise for me.

Just reviewed some of my sketchbooks, and find nothing so finished like your unbelievable bees!!!

I have so many books with doodles, graphic designs I developed after seeing someone else's that captivated me, and started to play with it until it was completely different, and it was mine! Drawing an eye from memory, noses or lips, scenes I like from faraway countries, always noting it is a 'c' (copy), or 'c/RB" indicating I made changes to it. I have lots of graphic designs mainly with stylized leaves and flowers I used while enameling plates and jewelry on copper. One of the sketchbooks is dedicated to colour, good combinations, my own chart of mixed neutrals, botanical parts done looking at work from other artists, Ann Kullberg's Prisma colours for skin, eyes, hair and my own discoveries...

In the larger sketchbooks I concentrate on details of whatever I am working on, since I don't go out that much, and have oodles of my own photos that allow me to really get familiar with the flowers and plants I love.

I had a great experience yesterday, while working on a bunch of flowers. It is going to be a composite, with a branch of leaves going across behind it. I was doing what I always do, wondering forever about how to bring the composition to fruition. I made a decision and started to use tracing paper to combine both, which is a great way many artists use to obtain a composition that really WORKS. Well, not only did the tracing refreshed my hand movement and firmness, but I enjoyed it tremendously. I want to continue, so I can see it progress and I sure need the enjoyment!!! It is like 9 years being my hubby's caregiver has taken away a part of my inner life...

Sorry for having been so long-winded about it. I hope others can get an idea about what NOT to do!

So, Claudia, your comment reminded me of this quotation: "About doing botanical art: “... [the main thing] is to be passionate about what you do, and some measure of artistic ability...” It applies to any art work!

Last edited by frida : 09-16-2018 at 04:20 PM.