WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2018, 04:13 PM
NY

Hails from United States
question on pastels from a novice

Hey I'm getting more into pastels as a second medium as I do like them but never delved into it. What I did not know was that there was a big difference between hard and soft pastels. (facepalm) My question is are all soft pastels fatter then hard pastels. I have a set of 60 pastels by Othello ( i think originally my fathers) and they are skinny and long with paper covering them. I am thinking they are hard so then oil based? pastels. I have a small set of Dewett Pastel pencils as well which I'm guessing is ever harder for fine detail and lines. What brands of soft pastels are good? I don't want to spend a ton but I don't want cheap brands with very little pigment. Thank you!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2018, 06:10 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Re: question on pastels from a novice

Welcome! Here is a link to a page from Dakota pastels that compares many brands of artist grade pastels and lists then from softest to hard. They would all be perfectly fine to start with, although personally i would not recommend starting with the ultra-soft brands as they may be a bit harder to manage - especially if you are used to harder pastels. But that's just me! Plus, it may depend on what type of paper you are using. Papers with more tooth (such as sanded papers) can hold more pastel and may be more suitable to the softest brands (although they will also eat them up if you are heavy handed). In other words, some experimenting will no doubt be necessary, but I would start with a brand such as Rembrandt or something more in the medium soft range. Sometimes buying just two or three pastels open stock from various brands is helpful in determining what might feel right for you.

https://www.dakotapastels.com/files/...tel-Lineup.pdf

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery

Last edited by DAK723 : 09-02-2018 at 06:15 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2018, 06:52 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Hello and welcome to the forum! You got some real good advice from Don and I agree that the Rembrandt brand is a good one, especially for beginners. I hope you'll be able to determine whether your paper wrapped pastels are soft pastels or oil pastels. Oil pastels have kind of a waxy feel and the pigment won't come off on your fingers as much. I hope they turn out to be soft pastels so you can mix them in with whatever new ones you buy.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2018, 09:52 PM
NY

Hails from United States

[quote=DAK723]Welcome! Here is a link to a page from Dakota pastels that compares many brands of artist grade pastels and lists then from softest to hard. They would all be perfectly fine to start with, although personally i would not recommend starting with the ultra-soft brands as they may be a bit harder to manage - especially if you are used to harder pastels. But that's just me! Plus, it may depend on what type of paper you are using. Papers with more tooth (such as sanded papers) can hold more pastel and may be more suitable to the softest brands (although they will also eat them up if you are heavy handed). In other words, some experimenting will no doubt be necessary, but I would start with a brand such as Rembrandt or something more in the medium soft range. Sometimes buying just two or three pastels open stock from various brands is helpful in determining what might feel right for you.

https://www.dakotapastels.com/files/...tel-Lineup.pdf

Don[/QUOTE

I dont have specific paper for pastel...i tried them out Watercolor paper i have (no idea how i have two pads of them as i dont do watercolor) and its very textured. The hard pastels on it blended to some degree but not like i would like. I have Vellus paper in a 11 x 14 1/2 and i have colored paper but nothing indicatng what mediums can be used on it. So I'll be looking into more suitable paper for pastel. As for the suggestion of medium soft I agree...I dont have a very heavy hand (well least i don't with acrylics on canvas) but i don't want a super soft pastel. I'll check out Rembrandt so thanks so much for that suggestion....what do you mean exactly by open stock and how do you only buy two? I would assume packages previously opened but not used? or rarely used ?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2018, 09:54 PM
NY

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna T
Hello and welcome to the forum! You got some real good advice from Don and I agree that the Rembrandt brand is a good one, especially for beginners. I hope you'll be able to determine whether your paper wrapped pastels are soft pastels or oil pastels. Oil pastels have kind of a waxy feel and the pigment won't come off on your fingers as much. I hope they turn out to be soft pastels so you can mix them in with whatever new ones you buy.

I'm thinking they are hard with the way they acted on the paper i tried them on...its a large set too of 60 and not very used so im thinking was my dads and not something I bought. I cant ask im as he is deceased. They are oil based im pretty sure. more waxy to the touch as you said and while i got pigment on my fingers it wasnt a ton. the set is Carb-Othello

Last edited by SngnArtist : 09-04-2018 at 09:56 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2018, 06:28 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SngnArtist
....what do you mean exactly by open stock and how do you only buy two? I would assume packages previously opened but not used? or rarely used ?

The bigger art stores or stores that specialize in pastels (Dakota, Fine Art Store) sell individual sticks of soft pastels for most brands. In some cases, only sets are available. So, open stock refers to individual sticks.

Here's a link, for example, of Dakota's page of individual sticks for Rembrandt:

https://www.dakotapastels.com/produc...ndt-Individual

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 01:16 AM
NY

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK723
The bigger art stores or stores that specialize in pastels (Dakota, Fine Art Store) sell individual sticks of soft pastels for most brands. In some cases, only sets are available. So, open stock refers to individual sticks.

Here's a link, for example, of Dakota's page of individual sticks for Rembrandt:

https://www.dakotapastels.com/produc...ndt-Individual

Don
OOOOHh wow good to know! you guys are really friendly on this forum
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 01:50 AM
NY

Hails from United States

I wish the large pastel set i have were non oil as I think they are.i wish they would say on the box lol....I like to layer with acrylics so it would not be possible with oil based pastels as I seem to be finding out

Last edited by SngnArtist : 09-06-2018 at 02:31 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 01:55 AM
NY

Hails from United States

oh just thought of something else....I cannot freehand draw and be accurate so for my acrylics i use a 4h graphite and transfer paper and tap out any harsher llines with my kneaded eraser....what do you do though in case of pastels?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 02:12 PM
NY

Hails from United States

I am hoping some older artists will recognize this set and let me know if it really is oil based or not

ps sorry to be a pain in the butt
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
western New York

Hails from United States

Those are dry sticks,
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 06:07 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

These pastels are probably more like NuPastels, I'd guess. The box says charcoal, so there would be no oil.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2018, 01:16 AM
NY

Hails from United States

oh they are??? awesome I'm glad I posted a picture as I wasnt sure anyone could tell.. I have no idea what oil pastels feel like so I really had no idea...thank you guys!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 01:09 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Oh hooray they are soft pastels after all! You have a nice selection of colors and I'll bet they will come in handy.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 01:45 PM
NY

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna T
Oh hooray they are soft pastels after all! You have a nice selection of colors and I'll bet they will come in handy.

Yes! I was so happy to hear that lol This is a set of 60 so I think on sticks I'm kinda good for now as I plan to use pastels pencils more then anything as i love lots of layers and detail with realism. I do appreciate some others styles but never had a desire to do them myself Now just to get some paper and order some CarbOthello pencils to go with my 12 pencil Derwent set.. but to decide what colors ohhh choices choices eeeek lol