WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watermedia
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2018, 03:48 AM

Choice of ink and pencil

Hi,

I am wanting to make an artwork for my son who loves all the Julia Donaldson characters illustrated by Axel Scheffler.

I have watched an video on him and it seems his process is:
  1. Draws in pencil
  2. Draws over in black ink using a dip pen
  3. Does local colour in liquid watercolours
  4. Does detail in coloured pencil and a very tiny amount of detail in acrylic
  5. Retouches outline in ink
I have a dip and ink and am very pleased with the results. My questions relate to the ink and pencils.

Are acrylic inks and watercolour inks different in terms of look? I presume the main difference as a medium is once is water soluble and the other isn't.

Would you go for normal coloured pencils or watercolours ones? Is the main advantage of watercolour pencils that you can add water and use them like paint should you wish?

Are there any inks and pencils that are good or should be avoided?

My gut feel is go with acrylic inks and watercolour pencils so if I want to add water to the pencils I can use them like paint without muddying what's underneath — or can you not use watercolour pencils over acrylic ink?

Thanks!

Last edited by Yorky : 09-02-2018 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Image resized to 800 wide
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2018, 10:51 AM

Hails from United States
Re: Choice of ink and pencil

You can mix lots of mediums, but not all will mix, blend or go over one another, as I think you know.

How about simplifying your process a bit? This is essentially a "line and wash" illustration technique. So at minimum you need a dark or indelible line and a fill colorant.

The former can be ink, pencil, Inktense watercolor pencil (goes on and wets like saturated WC pencil, but once dry is like India ink and cannot be rewet or removed), acrylic ink or paint, etc. How you put it on the paper is a matter of taste. The latter can be watercolor, watercolor pencil, graphite or other pencil, acrylic, acrylic gouache, gouache, etc. So you have lots of choices, but all you need are actually the two basics: the line medium and the wash medium.

I do a lot of line and wash using pencil for rough layout sketch, overlaid with ink (I use Faber Castell brush pens), then watercolor washes. But I've mixed in a bunch of others on some drawings too. The simpler approach is lively and very appealing to most people.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2018, 07:16 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I got some Ecoline liquid watercolours, the exact same ones he uses.

So that meets the minimum requirements as you mention: dark indelible line and fill colourant.

Those combined with Indian ink outline look good and are fun to p\int with.

I bought some artist wax pencils which he uses to make the colours more vibrant and opaque but I can't emulate his bright opaque textures. How would you do it? He does it with crayons. I only have wax but he uses wax and oil-based crayons. Is that what I'm missing? I thought oil and wax crayons would be very similar once layered.

I wondered whether his art looks more ink-washed in real life.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2018, 09:37 AM

Hails from United States

You cannot truly compare printed art books with original watercolors. The paper and the inks and the finishing are different.

To be honest, I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve.

I would use Derwent Inktense pencils or sticks to do this whole thing. As I told you, they go on as pencils, but when wet act like watercolor or watercolor pencils, and then when dry they are indelible. You can layer them. Can't speak to opacity, but I can assure you that their saturation is very high, so that's what I suspect you're seeking.

Why you think you need wax or oil crayons, I don't know.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2018, 12:03 PM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

there are copyright issues with copying an artists work

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhere
there are copyright issues with copying an artists work

I'm doing it for my son so, no, there aren't.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-08-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartc
To be honest, I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve.

Why you think you need wax or oil crayons, I don't know.

I am trying to emulate the style of the artist I gave an example of using the same materials, as I said clearly in my original post, who uses both wax and oil-based crayons. I appreciate your help but nevermind if you don't understand. Thanks all the same and will just continue to experiment.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2018, 10:29 AM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrQuincy
I am trying to emulate the style of the artist I gave an example of using the same materials, as I said clearly in my original post, who uses both wax and oil-based crayons. I appreciate your help but nevermind if you don't understand. Thanks all the same and will just continue to experiment.
Please don't misunderstand. I'm not criticizing you nor do I misunderstand what you originally posted. Only positing that you can achieve much the same visual results without struggling with the complexity of his approach. Sincerely sorry if that was unhelpful to you.