WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2018, 10:05 AM

Making gouache or egg tempera from pastels

I was thinking of using soft pastels to make either gouache or egg tempera. Can anyone think of any reason why the ingredients in soft pastels would not be compatible with either a gouache medium or an egg tempera medium? I am aware that different pastel manufacturers may use different binders such as gum tragacanth, gum arabic, and methyl cellulose, and might have other ingredients.
This is not taking into consideration the expense, time, safety, storage issues, etc. Before I start on this project, I at least want to make sure I am using artist quality materials.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2018, 02:35 PM
Lord of the Arts
Deep in the American South

Hails from United States
Re: Making gouache or egg tempera from pastels

On a very limited basis, I have used pastel dust as pigment with an egg tempera mix, and it worked very well, in my ignorant estimation.

I was given a primary sampler of Schmincke (sp?) brand soft pastels, which I guessed to be of a quality consisting mostly of pure pigment. Anyway - long story short - my little experiment looks good well over as year later.

Art is life's dream interpretation.
- Otto Rank
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2018, 09:02 PM
Lord of the Arts

I see no issues making your paints from pastels, but....unless you have a ton of pastels you don't want or need, you might consider buying some dry pigment instead. Some of them are very inexpensive. You can get a half pound of raw sienna from these guys for only 5 bucks! Equivalent to many dozens of pastel sticks. Maybe talk to some of your artist friends and see if they want to do a group buy of a sampling of various pigments.

http://www.douglasandsturgess.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 02:59 PM

Thank you for your replies.

It looks like I have a long road ahead if I decide to do either the gouache or egg tempera with pastels. I'll keep you posted if I decide to do either.

Gwen
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 08:51 PM
Lord of the Arts
Deep in the American South

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen Solvaag
I'll keep you posted if I decide to do either.

Gwen

Yes, please let us know what you come up with! I wish I my little experiment with it had gone further.

Art is life's dream interpretation.
- Otto Rank