WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2018, 06:58 PM

Hails from Brazil
Critiques please

Now is the time to ask for critiques, before I give up on this piece (a friend says that the artist never finishes, he gives up).

Ref:

Hue differences are due to the screen I use and camera color. The unfinished areas are the wall and up close grass.

I think this one didn't cane out so well. I can't make vegetation and the blobs of trees on the mountain look pasted. And now I see the value mistakes.
Meh.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2018, 07:14 PM
Enthusiast
Monterey Bay area, California

Re: Critiques please

Your most vivid greens are probably "too green." That is, they should be less chromatic (slightly grayer).

Experiment with the mid-distance trees. Allow the paint to dry enough so that it will not smear, if you paint over it. Do you have a tube of a transparent paint, in the magenta color range? Quinacridone Red/Rose/Violet might work. The hue of Alazarin Crimson might work. Definitely NOT a Cadmium color, since those are opaque.

Dilute some of that color with medium, to make a low-pigment glaze. Try apinting a thin layer over those trees. They will become darker and less green. If you don't like the effect, you can remove the glaze before it dries.

If you do like the effect, you can also use it in other areas. But don't over-do it.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2018, 07:29 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

I have absolutely no problem with your greens. There is no reason why they need to match the photo color exactly. In fact, I think your progression from more intense, warmer yellow-greens to more muted, cooler blue greens works very well and gives the panting nice depth. You have done an excellent job with those low clouds.

Obviously, the only thing that looks odd is the unfinished wall. If you handle the wall as well as everything else, this will be a very nice painting. If the wall proves to be difficult, then I think it could be deleted. Not sure why you would give up on this piece as it is so close to being finished - and successful.

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2018, 04:39 AM
Durgapur,West Bengal,India

Hails from India

Yes, the green looks to way too green(the distant trees). It needs to be muted . Also i would like to point out lack sense of aerial perspective.Also paint clear shadow and light pattern. There is no focal point (the wall can be one). I would suggest to do few sketches to understand the value pattern and to produce a better composition first.

Last edited by sound : 08-31-2018 at 04:42 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2018, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Baltimore, MD

Hails from United States

It is interesting that your greens are more vivid than in the reference photo. Artists usually go the opposite way -- when presented with a vivid emerald landscape, they create greens that are subtler and "brownier."

I do think that those trees should be knocked back a bit, perhaps a good bit, to create the impression of distance. What you have is too dark. No feeling of atmosphere between here and there.

Something similar may be said of the stone wall. Yes, I understand that you've simply laid in a middle color as a preparation for detailing. But I question the choice of this middle color. There is no chocolate in the wall depicted in your reference photo. No, you don't have to match the photo exactly -- but consider the issue of overall harmony. The bushes, dirt and grasses contain a fair amount of yellow-brown, and you may want to carry that yellow note into the wall, and perhaps into the more distant trees.

The distant hills are cooler in your painting that in the ref. In this case, I think you've made the right decision, since coolness indicates atmospheric distance. However, the cloud shadows on the hills are perhaps a bit too dark. A transparent white scumble may help here.

Beyond that, my advice is the precise opposite of what I was constantly told "back in the day": Don't be afraid of picking up that 00 brush and going for the detail. Inch by painstaking inch. Yes, it's time-consuming; yes, there will be times when you will fondly visualize running your hand across a table saw. But you may love what you see.

Personally, I do not believe in the kinds of trickery and gimmicks espoused by Bob Ross and similar teachers. My own teachers used to tell me to "suggest" a bush, and that approach may prove marvelous for many artists -- but my mind and my hand just don't work that way, and your mind and hand may be of a similar nature. There are times when the way to paint a bush or a tree is to PAINT it, in all of its infuriating detail.

I see no reason for you to give up. You have the fundamentals in place.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2018, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast
Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Looks good to me, i think you can evaluate properly once you have put some work in the wall as that will make a big difference as now that brown cord is distracting to the eye. Walter
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2018, 04:02 PM

Hails from Brazil

I will see what I can do with glazing in those trees. Yes, I should make the clouds brighter.

I wish I was one of those artists that can make foliage work with few brushtrokes, but it looks so difficult.

Thanks for the input.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2018, 12:23 PM
Lord of the Arts
East Coast USA

Hails from United States

[quote=Raichu]
I wish I was one of those artists that can make foliage work with few brushtrokes.[/ QUOTE]

You and me both ..... I like what you've done.

Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2018, 04:27 PM
Allentown PA

Hails from United States

The mountains look cut out because you darkened them at the ridge. Lighten them and they will take their place. Note trees are always the darkest things in a landscape usually. Mountains are darker at the base and lighter it the apex, as they move away from you as they advance towards the sky.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2018, 07:14 PM

I think itís quite good, and I agree with another poster who said there is no reason your palette must stay true to the colors in the picture and the Pre Raphaelites would agree. I love the mist and the mountain in the distance. I think you should progress with the wall and then see how you feel. Sometimes, I find itís just one little element or brush stroke that pushes me through to the next phase of development when I want to scratch everything and start over. Which I almost always want to do. Iím committing to finishing nearly everything now unless it is just too insipid or it would take more work to fix it than it would to begin again, just because something can be learned from every painting and even if you arenít in love with each piece you produce there is something to be said for looking back on an entire body of work, instead of a few finished pieces amongst more abandoned efforts.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2018, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member
Port Harcourt

Hails from Nigeria

Quite a nice painting so far. The major distraction is the wall, that I thought was the road and that appeared off in terms of perspective. Once that's sorted, I'm sure it will work much better.
Instagram www.instagram.com/oziomazart
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2018, 09:59 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United Kingdom

Beautiful! The wall sticks out like a sore thumb (sorry) you must give that some texture, but I assume you will sort that out easily.
Although the picture is beautiful as it is, you could consider varying your greens a bit to give the image more interest and variety. For example why not work with those shadows behind the gate and upwards. Make that a shadow area going up to the distance where the colour fades out. Do the gate - its a lovely focal point. In the far right your greens could become a bit fuzzy and hazy, losing its colour as it is further away.
Another point I could think of is the foreground, perhaps add some interest by getting some focussed and sharp grass in, give it some solution, instead of the half-way house which it is now (not a focal point, nor an area that supports another area).
Hope this helps? It looks lovely - want to go on holiday when I see this!