WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2018, 08:00 PM
Noblesville, IN

Hails from United States
Love of flowers

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Love of flowers
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20 x20 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Is it wrong to be inspired by a frame? I bought two frames from Goodwill, I painted them and after that, I decided what I want to fill them with. This is one of the canvases.

I started to paint recently, last December and I tried oil and Acrylic.
Please don't tell me that I need more contrast because I wanted this airy feeling and please don't comment on the vase touching the frame, I wanted specifically this way. Only if you think these two things are really bad it's OK to mention them :)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I don't have a specific method and I didn't take any art classes so any constructive critique is welcome. Thank you very much.

C & C welcome
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2018, 08:17 AM

Re: Love of flowers

My feeling is there is no right or wrong in art. The painting and the frame go together perfectly.

You don't want a critique of the painting....that's fine.

You started painting last December, your only hurting yourself and stunting your own growth by not accepting comments on the painting.

But that's just my opinion.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2018, 09:11 AM
Noblesville, IN

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryfisherman
My feeling is there is no right or wrong in art. The painting and the frame go together perfectly.

You don't want a critique of the painting....that's fine.

You started painting last December, your only hurting yourself and stunting your own growth by not accepting comments on the painting.

But that's just my opinion.

Harryfisherman, sorry , I think I wrote wrong I wanted to edit but I couldn't, I want critique ! Please read again what I wrote. I only wanted to emphasize that I wanted specific that two things in my picture. So sorry that I messed up on my comment

C & C welcome
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2018, 01:01 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

I'd call this a 'romantic traditional' style, it's pretty and I enjoy the added texture you've allowed.
One crit from me - the granular bits in the detail image, when the piece is completely dry, I'd touch up that graininess.

also, of course it's not wrong to be inspired by a frame.

also #2, remember to sign your work.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2018, 03:17 PM
Noblesville, IN

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_
I'd call this a 'romantic traditional' style, it's pretty and I enjoy the added texture you've allowed.
One crit from me - the granular bits in the detail image, when the piece is completely dry, I'd touch up that graininess.

also, of course it's not wrong to be inspired by a frame.

also #2, remember to sign your work.

la

Thank you la!!! What do you want to say about touch up? To flatten it? Or to cut it down?
Yes, I forgot to sign this one and the other one that I have
I wI'll post the other one here too.

C & C welcome
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2018, 03:40 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

The top left background is pulling my eye out of the painting. Perhaps darken it so that eye stays on flowers.
cheers
Donna
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2018, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast
Georgia

Hails from United States

Nothing wrong with having a frame inspire us Check the second as the vase appears to be floating a bit, easy fix. Nice light feeling and brushwork.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2018, 12:06 AM
Noblesville, IN

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mettaphorica
The top left background is pulling my eye out of the painting. Perhaps darken it so that eye stays on flowers.
cheers
Donna

Thank you Donna. I think in the picture it looks that way but in reality, the contrast is not that strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchbox
Nothing wrong with having a frame inspire us Check the second as the vase appears to be floating a bit, easy fix. Nice light feeling and brushwork.

Thank you Wendy, I fix it you were right

C & C welcome
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2018, 07:34 AM

Smile Re: Love of flowers

I like the energy you've given the piece.

This piece needs more contrast. The vase almost fades into the background. If i squint, it looks like the plant is floating. Add darker shades to the vase or darken the background around the vase so the object will stand out.

Darken the middle of the plant, it needs more depth.

The top left hand corner has a weird blue tone that distracts the eye, I would make it the light yellow and add more leaves to balance out the composition.

Seriously don't be afraid to add more vibrant and saturated colours, the piece is very desaturated and pastel at the moment.

Also, try varying the shades of green more. Leaves aren't always green mixed with white, they will have all sorts of undertones. If you're working from life, look closer and try to find what undertones they have.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2018, 07:36 AM

Oops, I was looking at the first image.
All the same applies although you've fixed the blue in the background! The vase still looks a bit like it's floating though.