WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 09:22 PM

Applying PHI (Golden Ratio) to a non-standard size

I'm learning the use of PHI in art. The various roots, baroque diagonal, etc. It's a bit complex, but I'm eager to begin using these in my work.

One thing I have not seen answered anywhere is how to apply PHI (whichever root you use, 1.333, 1.618, etc) to a non-standard size surface. That is, a painting surface that doesn't accurately correspond to one of those roots. Take for example a surface I have now, which measures 53 x 40". This more closely works with 1.333 (1.325 is what mine reduces to). But then, I could always just draw an accurate root 1.618 space onto this surface, using the leftover margin as "dead space".

Surely the old masters ran into this from time to time.

I've also thought about getting a PC/Mac projector and simply projecting the desired root onto my surfaces and tracing from there, to save me the monotonous task of measuring, etc.

I'd appreciate any feedback. I could be over thinking this as well, since I'm still learning the theories. But, I am a perfectionist and I like accuracy

Thank you.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2018, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

Re: Applying PHI (Golden Ratio) to a non-standard size

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrie
Take for example a surface I have now, which measures 53 x 40". This more closely works with 1.333 (1.325 is what mine reduces to). But then, I could always just draw an accurate root 1.618 space onto this surface, using the leftover margin as "dead space".

Surely the old masters ran into this from time to time.

I've also thought about getting a PC/Mac projector and simply projecting the desired root onto my surfaces and tracing from there, to save me the monotonous task of measuring, etc.
Thank you.
If you think measuring is monotonous, you'll find setting up a projector even more so.

IMO 1.325 is close enough to 1.33! The best solution is to start with a support that closely approximates the ratio you need. "Dead space" can work sometimes. There are a lot of great paintings that are square and others that are panoramic and all points in between. The golden ratio is not the set-in-cement ratio but just one of many guides.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 03:07 PM

I've done a lot of homework since my post. I'm a techie, so setting up a simple projector is simple. I'm wondering what recommendations anyone might have for this application. I see a lot of "HD" projectors out there that seem to be geared toward movies, which I don't need.

All you need to do here is have your surface cut to the appropriate proportions, then project the root grid(s) onto your surface and trace. Doing this manually is really tedious.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 05:19 PM
A Local Legend
Boerne, TX USA

Hails from United States

Is it time to simply suggest using the rule of thirds, regardless of size and proportion of the paper...?

Keep it simple.

Sling paint,
Virgil
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2018, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil carter
Keep it simple.
Yes, don't bother with complex design schemes. I've seen very little evidence that "the old masters" used them extensively.

Just design compositions that please the eye. Get a feel for it. Incorporating the golden ratio won't make your paintings magically look good. I cured myself from this way of designing a long time ago and I'm very glad I did.