WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 03:45 PM

Same single pigment different values: How?

I've noticed that in some brands of paint that they'll have two colors, each of which has the same single pigment but one of which is lighter than the other. For example both Liquitex Basics Primary Blue, lighter, and Phthalo Blue, darker, list PB15:3 as the only pigment. (Unlike, for comparison, Basics Medium Magenta and Quinacridone Magenta which both have PR122 as the color pigment, but the Medium Magenta also has Titanium White added, which explains its lighter value.) How do they change the lightness when no second pigment is listed?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 06:16 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States
Re: Same single pigment different values: How?

Variation in pigments can be done through a number of methods during the creation of the pigment itself. The number coding is just a generalization of it's chemical composition many of it's various properties, usually hue. The exact hue will vary greatly depending on the way the pigment is created, and some manufacturers have a number of hues of the same pigment.

Lansco is a pigment manufacturer, they have hundreds of pigments, and some of those have a dozen or more variants of the same pigment. Check out Ultramarine, more variants of the exact same pigment than any other I know of (PB29).

Delofasht
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 09:43 PM
WC! Guide
Illinois

Hails from United States

I believe the reason Ultramarine Blue (PB29) comes in so many variants has to do with how long certain chemical processes involved in its preparation are allowed to last.

Gigalot would be able to confirm if this is the case!

Last edited by opainter : 08-27-2018 at 09:46 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 11:10 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Oh yes, I know that to be the case, but it made for an excellent example. Phthalo also comes in a massive range of hues, and even more impressive comes in 7 different pigment sub codes from 0 to 6 that I am aware of, and then 3 different pigment numbers as well 15, 16, and 17. So lots of options for different hues within the same pigment family, and even within the same pigment code.

Delofasht
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2018, 08:53 AM

Thank you again for this. I thought that manufacturing differences might explain it, but this confirms it. I appreciate it.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 02:00 AM
Canada

Hails from Canada

Just a guess: it might be that the Basics Primary Blue simply has less of the same pigment as Basics Phthalo Blue, and more medium or filler. If so, this could sometimes be a good thing.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 08:43 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntpadua
How do they change the lightness when no second pigment is listed?
By variations in particle size, the physical molecular structure, heating variations, amount of moisture, etc.
Pigment numbers are designations for the general families of similarly composed pigments. There can be wide difference in their hue or color, opacity, and or tint strength.
Quote:
Check out Ultramarine,
Quote:
I believe the reason Ultramarine Blue (PB29) comes in so many variants has to do with how long certain chemical processes involved in its preparation are allowed to last.
Here are comparison micrographs I did of two PB29 ultramarine blue paints, one violet vs one green biased, both have the same pigment number.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 09-06-2018 at 08:57 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting comparison micrographs!

Did you ever resolve the natural/synthetic iron oxide question?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2018, 11:49 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

No I didn't Richard, and no longer have access to that equipment.
Also, I am glad the first pics are still there because some of the photos in that thread have been lost over time for some unknown reason.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2018, 07:17 AM
Canada

Hails from Canada

Sid - I didn't see that post you made years ago - thanks it's very interesting. Surprising how much 'empty space' paint really is...I would've expected it to be literally jam-packed with pigment particles.

Do both your RS and GS have similarly dark masstone in-the-flesh?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2018, 08:26 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Patrick, as I remember I think it was thin smear on the slide. I can't tell any difference between french ultramarine and the green shade in masstone. But then when tinted out it is clearly different.

I remember getting frustrated one time, I was trying to repaint over a sky that I had done plein air, and I couldn't get close to the right hue with my ultramarine, until I finally realized that I had used green shade the first time.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2018, 12:46 PM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntpadua
list PB15:3 as the only pigment.
They do not list Blank Fixe additive into PB15:3 pigment. Such pigment as PB15:3 is absolutely extremal power tinter and therefore, always have 50-60% of fillers addition. Industrial blue paint has only 3,8% of pure Phthalo PB15:3 content to achieve regular color and covering power.
Some of artists' grade PB15:3 can have transparent Aluminum Hydrate as a filler and that cause deep color, but some have Barium Sulfate addition and that gives Manganese Blue color to paint.

Last edited by Gigalot : 09-09-2018 at 12:49 PM.