WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Sculpture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2018, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Chandler, AZ

Hails from United States
Albert Einstein

Hey Everyone!
I have just completed a portrait sculpture in clay of Albert Einstein. It measures: 16.5" H X 10" W X 12" D. Here are some photos of the clay:

JMM
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2018, 08:45 AM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States
Re: Albert Einstein

That's a wonderful likeness! Well done!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2018, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Chandler, AZ

Hails from United States

Hey ArtsyLynda!
Thanks so much for your response! It seems I was premature on presenting this..................my wife said his hair is too coiffed and in need of messing up. I don't know if he ever had a good hair day! It's back to the hair sculpting board!

JMM
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2018, 11:07 AM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Hair is my best place for freedom and creativity when sculpting horses. I totally understand! Have fun with it!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2018, 10:40 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Wow, that is so good!

Can't wait to see what you do with the hair.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2018, 11:19 PM

He looks great from every angle. Very pleasing smile and expression. Your wife is a good critic. Messy hair will be a challenge and fun to sculpt!

My website My Blog Join me on Facebook
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2018, 06:08 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Jacksonville, Florida

Yup you nailed him.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2018, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member
South Carolina

Hails from United States

Wow, nice work and i saw your subject likeness as soon as the page opened up.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2018, 09:38 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Canada

Very nicely done. About the hair: He probably knew he would make this particular forum and wanted to look presentable.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2018, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Chandler, AZ

Hails from United States

HI VRMS!
Sorry I didn't respond to you and the others that have followed. Most of the time very few respond except ArtsyLynda and Sculpturedolls and after they responded I thought that was it! I worked on the hair and made it a little bit messier but did not much.......enough to have my wife tell me that looks better and so then I went to molding it. I am at the point of the final 1/2 of the mother mold and then I will start casting. Sorry I don't have a pic to show. Thanks for dropping in and commenting!

Hey Boafamily and Garland!
Thank you so much for your comments. They were very much appreciated!

Hey jonc50!
How does one sculpt each hair on a guys head individually hair by hair? I think I found one picture of him when he was younger when he had his hair slicked back. The rest of the time there must have been static electricity buzzing the top of his head continuously! I got a kick out of your hair rationalization! Thanks so much!

Thanks all of you (including Sculpturedolls) for your wonderful comments!

JMM
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2018, 05:55 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

You asked about sculpting each hair individually (I know you were kidding, but I can tell you how to do it). It's best to do hair in sections and then detail them. The best way to do that and get great movement is to sculpt from the END of the hair toward the scalp. That way you don't get lost in the masses of hair.

For examples of human hair done in sections and then detailed, see Frederick Hart's work. Here's a page full of his work: https://tinyurl.com/ya9awdxh

The horse pictured in my bronze above was named Anton (he died at age 25, last year). He was best known for his hair and for passing the thickness, waviness and length on to his get (babies). (By the way, that's not the right reason to choose a particular stallion to breed to your mare - he was also well-built, but most people couldn't see past his hair.) His mane was 4 1/2 feet long and his forelock was 3 1/2 feet long. When he was led, the owner led the stallion while his wife carried his mane so it didn't drag the ground. When he wasn't being shown, it was kept up in braids.

In the photo I was given to use as the model for the sculpture, his mane had formed kind of a circular swirl on his hip. Trying to get that and his forelock to look right was a LOT of work.

Each leg being in a different stage of flight means the feathers on each leg were in a different position. For instance, the hind leg that has landed on the ground has the hair "splashing" up, while the front legs moving forward through the air have the hair more flattened against the hoof, depending on where they are in the stride.

By sculpting from the ends to the beginning of the hair in each section, you can add a lot of movement, show the direction the wind is blowing, show tracks where he's just run his fingers through his hair, etc.

I know you're molding him now, I'm just sharing this for you to consider with your next sculpture. Keep up the good work!

For those who wonder about such things, the sculpture of Anton is 21" L x 7 7/8" W x 16" H.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2018, 07:07 PM

Hi John, Your likeness of Albert is great. I think it's super cute the idea that he combed his hair to be presentable for the forum or even for the sculpture that you made of him. You can always tell everyone that and they will get a kick out of it. It sounds like you gave him a little bit more pizazz to his hair since the pic your shared here.

It depends on what kind of clay you use for how you want to approach doing hair. With using waterbased clay like you have, my way of doing messy hair would be to use very moist workable clay (not stiff). Get your hands in there and start pulling and making shapes. Let the organicness of the clay show through with the way clay naturally will have texture. I would put a piece of unworked clay, just a glob of it and put it on the head and pull it outwards to represent one form and keep pulling until the tip is thinner than at the base.

Here is one example of how hair was rendered that was messy and not combed. This was sculpted in water based clay.

This is another example but I believe the sculptor used oil based clay.

My website My Blog Join me on Facebook
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2018, 07:30 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Wow, the patina on that child's face is luminous!!! Gorgeous! Both pieces are beautiful, but I've rarely seen skin rendered that well in bronze.

I didn't think about the differences in clay. Yeah, I use plastilene. I believe Frederick Hart did too for most of his work, but he did the same kind of shapes in stone as well. I don't know if I've seen any of his work in water-based clay.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2018, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Chandler, AZ

Hails from United States

Hey Sculpturedolls and ArtsyLynda,
Thanks to both of you for the hair suggestions. I went ahead and modified the top of his head and my wife said that looked better then the "coiffed" look! The suggestions you both gave were very good and useful for future sculpts that I will be doing. I apologize for getting this post so late but I have been very busy with molding Einstein, Woody and Woody's planter. I will be casting very soon and will post pics of the casting of Einstein produced from the mold and the mold I made for him.

JMM