WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2018, 05:52 PM

Al Amir - Structured Critique Please

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Al Amir - Structured Critique Please
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24 x 30
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a painting of my own horse from a photograph I took. I started with a direct painting approach and quickly realized I was being confused by the colors changes and switched to a grisaille with several glazed in colors. It's still wet, so applicable changes will be made.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
This is my first indirect attempt and I loved it. Had challenges with using too much medium. Be brutal, all critique welcomed, open and structured. Looking for every possible improvement. Any way to make a fun of the mill equine portrait into something more striking? Composition tips?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2018, 01:41 AM

Re: Al Amir - Structured Critique Please

WOW !!! This is beautiful. I have nothing to say but keep up the great work.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2018, 11:44 AM
Lord of the Arts

Beautiful painting - but, take this with a grain of salt, because it might be how my monitor is interpreting the image:

My critique is that the horse looks more like a bronze statue than a real horse - it's very "hard" looking and missing some softness to indicate some fur. I think this painting would benefit from some soft edges, especially the body - maybe softening/blending to the background?.

Like I said, in real life, what I said about the painting might not mean anything - I love the colors, the play on dark/light is awesome and the background doesn't take anything away from the star of the show - the horse!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAnn
Beautiful painting - but, take this with a grain of salt, because it might be how my monitor is interpreting the image:

My critique is that the horse looks more like a bronze statue than a real horse - it's very "hard" looking and missing some softness to indicate some fur. I think this painting would benefit from some soft edges, especially the body - maybe softening/blending to the background?.

Like I said, in real life, what I said about the painting might not mean anything - I love the colors, the play on dark/light is awesome and the background doesn't take anything away from the star of the show - the horse!
Thank you! Yes, it does look a bit plastic even in real life though a bit less so than in the photos. I tried to move away from the Draw Every Hair method of my colored pencil pieces but I still need to learn how to manipulate edges and brushwork in a way to suggest hair.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2018, 06:49 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Fanning
Thank you! Yes, it does look a bit plastic even in real life though a bit less so than in the photos. I tried to move away from the Draw Every Hair method of my colored pencil pieces but I still need to learn how to manipulate edges and brushwork in a way to suggest hair.

I am not a fan of "draw every hair" - what you need to do is just find areas where you want to suggest fur/hair, without worrying about suggesting it everywhere - good places to look at is in folds/joints, where dark meets light and highlights - the viewers eyes will fill in the rest. I think that would take this piece from lovely to outstanding - for me, you have everything else
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2018, 11:27 PM
A WC! Legend

gorgeous!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAnn
I am not a fan of "draw every hair" - what you need to do is just find areas where you want to suggest fur/hair, without worrying about suggesting it everywhere - good places to look at is in folds/joints, where dark meets light and highlights - the viewers eyes will fill in the rest. I think that would take this piece from lovely to outstanding - for me, you have everything else

I think the compression of the photos took out some detail.