WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2018, 07:12 AM

New joiner: recent drawings

Hi I have recently joined and I will start the Classroom 101 shortly. Here are some recent drawings I added to the pre-class thread, I hope the link works!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21423321

I would appreciate c&c.
Thanks in advance
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2018, 03:32 PM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany
Re: New joiner: recent drawings

Well, you have good likeness and proportion sense (both children are very nice references)... It depends what direction you would like to go for some of us to help you get somehow faster there .. Do you aim for shapes and figure?, looseness?, realism?, what issues you encounter? what is difficult or you think you need some technical advice? From what I saw you need to work in contrast and detailing ... let us know ..
Quote:
"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2018, 04:34 PM

Thanks. As much as I admire hyper realism, ultimately I am more interested in being able to create an artistic representation that evokes emotion, (and for portraits, the character and essence of a person). However to do that effectively I think I need to get better at so much basic drawing! shapes, proportions, colour and tone etc. I much prefer the style of Katherine Tyrrell to that of Alyona Nickelsen for example but I am open to trying all sorts of techniques so that I can eventually create artwork in a particular way because I want to, rather than that being the only way I know/ can do.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2018, 05:22 PM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

Well, the classroom 101 is the correct place to explore different styles and techniques. I think you already started in the correct path .
Quote:
"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2018, 11:10 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

You shouldn't have much trouble getting yourself sorted to where you want to be. The biggest hurdle I see has to do with values ... you are limiting yourself by keeping things too light. You'll see that the more impactful drawings tend to have rich darks which is something you control. Remember - at least with white paper - the paper sets the whitest whites but you are controlling the overall tonal range by setting the blackest black. In a portrait, this is usually the pupil in the eye. So if you do not go dark enough, your range will be limited and you will end up with what is called a "high key" drawing - on the light side. So for impact you will find going dark enough will do you well. This applies to whatever style you adopt be it realism or something less detailed. Value is critical in all mediums.

For example look at the range in this portrait ... it's that range that gives the image more impact.

Last edited by SparrowHawk7 : 08-15-2018 at 11:14 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2018, 01:42 AM

Super thanks!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 03:27 AM
A Local Legend
Gretton

Hails from United Kingdom

These are nice drawings. The kids’ portraits are very lifelike. I’d say just keep at it and at the same time look at as much drawing and painting as you can. Try to absorb the style features which appeal to you in others’ work.
The only crit I’d make, which has been suggested above, is that they are a bit tentative, not quite bold enough. A bit more emphasis with the lines and depth in the tone would enhance what is already very good artwork.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2018, 03:33 AM

Thank you! Arnoud is helping me through Drawing 101 so once I have assimilated all that I am hopeful I can improve ready for next summer holiday