WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2018, 05:28 AM
Wheeling, IL

Hails from United States
Why am I so secretive lately?

Lately, I have been very reluctant to share my work online. In the past, I would eagerly post my paintings/drawings on social media and art related websites, but in recent months, I have not been so sure that I want to share it. I feel that I am indeed improving, but I notice that it's always the same people saying the same things about my work, and frankly, I'm beginning to doubt the sincerity of their comments.

Has anyone else suddenly felt shy about their work?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2018, 08:55 AM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States
Re: Why am I so secretive lately?

Are you asking WC members for serious C&C?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2018, 01:04 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

there's a fine line between giving encouragement/support for an artists work and destroying an artists psyche with strong critique ... the WC members tend to ere on the side of caution and if you want strong critique you really have to ask for it.

ultimately it's probably better for an artist to receive kindness via generic platitudes if you will vs silence.

or ... maybe it's time you broke out in a totally new avenue of art exploration? come out of space and onto the ground for a bit? shrug, i don't know, just guessing.

i think one has to be brave to show their work ... and one also has to not care too much what others think about it, really, you can't please everyone, ever. please yourself as often as possible, that's whats most important - it is your art after all .

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2018, 04:30 PM
Wheeling, IL

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Are you asking WC members for serious C&C?
I would appreciate it, though I'd rather just post in the critique forum for that. But, if you have some constructive C&C, then let me have it! The only thing worse than a bad comment is none at all. I think one of the reasons that I haven't been posting is that my mentality lately has been: "Why bother... no one is paying attention anyway."
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2018, 04:42 PM
Wheeling, IL

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_
there's a fine line between giving encouragement/support for an artists work and destroying an artists psyche with strong critique ... the WC members tend to ere on the side of caution and if you want strong critique you really have to ask for it.

ultimately it's probably better for an artist to receive kindness via generic platitudes if you will vs silence.

or ... maybe it's time you broke out in a totally new avenue of art exploration? come out of space and onto the ground for a bit? shrug, i don't know, just guessing.

i think one has to be brave to show their work ... and one also has to not care too much what others think about it, really, you can't please everyone, ever. please yourself as often as possible, that's whats most important - it is your art after all .

la
Yes, you are right. But sometimes, I get a bit tired of hearing the same people giving the same "Good job"; without really saying what is good about it. Perhaps it's the feeling that you really can't grow without some sort of real criticism. But it may also be the anxiety of the feeling that you're really not reaching anyone new with your work, that your audience is stagnated, and so are you.🤔😕
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2018, 05:03 PM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmshood5
I would appreciate it, though I'd rather just post in the critique forum for that. But, if you have some constructive C&C, then let me have it! The only thing worse than a bad comment is none at all. I think one of the reasons that I haven't been posting is that my mentality lately has been: "Why bother... no one is paying attention anyway."
Frankly, the traffic in the Critique Forum is down so you might do better going to a medium specific forum with your work, but that is your call.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2018, 08:54 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
The Land of Enchantment

Hails from United States

I do not think that art critiques from random anonymous internet people are helpful. Many have never been to art school, or not specialized in the art you do, and therefore can give any educated advice. When I want real art critiques, I go to artists who do the same kind of work, or college professors, or gallery owners (each for specific reasons).

I also find that "Personality" has a lot to do with how a person is critiqued. If you are liked by the critiquer, they will slime you with useless complements, all subjective, and if they don't like you or your art style/focus, then no matter what you do, it is all horrible.

I also do not go any deeper into my actual opinion about showing work online out of fear of some moderator sending me an instant message to tell me that I am scaring away newbies-- I am not "humble" enough, my "ego" is too big, and I should be "grateful" that anyone would look at my art, to begin with.

I think the elephant in the room is that money-making "real" artists are not going to be on art forums (unless they have a contract to teach a class through a book dealer). They will be off working somewhere. I know of several very skilled, very highly paid sculptors who do not have much of an internet presence. They do not mess with websites, or online sales (because selling 10K+ artworks is usually not done online). If they are online, they provide some kid with pictures, and the kid does the website.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2018, 05:55 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Lately, I have been very reluctant to share my work online. In the past, I would eagerly post my paintings/drawings on social media and art related websites, but in recent months, I have not been so sure that I want to share it. I feel that I am indeed improving, but I notice that it's always the same people saying the same things about my work, and frankly, I'm beginning to doubt the sincerity of their comments.

Frankly, I kind of take what I want from comments on this site. If there are criticisms which I don't agree with, in my head I say " What do I care what you think?". If I agree with the criticisms, I say to myself " Oh, yes, you are totally right, I should have painted whatever differently." If no one comments, I say to myself, " Well, to heck with all of you, I like my painting." If I get positive comments, gives a little boost to my ego but really I don't care what anyone says as long as I like it. So why do I post my paintings - I guess for to see if there are any reactions. But I did want to add this in - there are artists on this site who really know what they are talking about and are really helpful. I tend to look to these artists whose work I find amazing to help me out.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2018, 02:50 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from New Zealand

Quote:
....but I notice that it's always the same people saying the same things about my work, and frankly, I'm beginning to doubt the sincerity of their comments.

I thank the moderators guides etc,
without them I would have no and very little comments.
Take what you can get.
Even if it's just feigning interest, sympathy or feeling like it's a duty.

There are alot of posts without comments at all.