WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2018, 09:58 AM

Gouache Portraite from Photograph

Hi All,

Ďbeen a very long time since I posted on Wetcanvas... but this is the first time Iím posting in the gouache section.

Due to lack of suitable working space, and the fact that my oil paints are in another state... Iíve set up in my bedroom and am attempting to translate some oil techniques to a less toxic medium.

Iím using winsor & newton designer gouache on home made primed canvas panels with two layers of QOR (golden brand) watercolour ground - 21cm x 29cm

The painting is from a photo of actor Terry Crews that I found through a random image search of male portraits.

Itís a very minimal palette... Permanent White, Ivory Black and Raw Umber. I also laid down a wash of Brilliant Purple (Schminke watercolour) and the under drawing was done with a Conte a Paris Sanguine XVIIIe pencil.

Anyway, I havenít painted traditionally for over 2 years...so I still have to work a lot of the rust out, but itís a start

Thanks for having a look... advice and feedback welcome, particularly if you know how I can soften my edges without accidentally lifting the paint off completely (Perhaps some kind of slow drying medium for gouache...I know they make something like that for watercolour...I might give that a go)
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2018, 04:32 AM
UK

Hails from Kenya
Re: Gouache Portraite from Photograph

As you are finding Gouache works quite differently to oil because of the fast drying and the reactivating.
Tiling the initial colour placement as you have done works well, then use intermediate colour to blend in the transitions. These intermediate colours are best archived if you have strung out the mixes initially on the palette.
For this portrait the rouged look of the corse tiling suites the subject and you have produced a good portrait, you obviously know what you are doing.
Good luck with the Gouache, remember the fast drying is your friend.

Tipo
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2018, 06:42 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Excellent portrait.

Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2018, 07:44 AM

Hi Tipo,

Thanks for the advice...yeah, I guess Iím still in oil painting mode... which is ironic because oilís slow drying time frustrated me too.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the compliment
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2018, 09:13 AM

Hi again...

So I went out and bought some winsor & newton blending medium and experimented with another random photo... same colours, bigger panel - coarser weave (has a better feel).

I also read something about people using K Y jelly as a medium and thought I should give it a try.

Anyway, I ended up using about 1-2 ratio of KY to Blending medium that gave me a couple of seconds blending time which I used my finger to do... the mix let me push the paint around without disturbing the layer beneath too much.

Now my issue is the opacity of winsor & Newtonís permanent white... can anyone recommend something better?

Cheers
Attached Images

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2018, 09:13 PM

Another portrait study... same basic palette.

This time I didn't use the Blending Medium or KY.

I've been looking at Velasquez' Juan de Pareja (just online, I live in Australia)... and a couple of John Singer Sargent's portraits and wanted to get some of that nice streaky brush work that I was seeing... which got me to thinking "what brushes did Velasquez use?"... did some basic research, but mainly relied on wild assumptions based on half heard information :P

Well, I jumped to the conclusion that the brushes he used can't have been as good as what we have available to us today...so, I went out and bought some cheap (95 cent) brushes from the craft section of the hardware store. Oh the scratchy goodness.

Looks nothing like a Velasquez, but it was a fun little experiment. Learned a lot from this one... mainly 'be mindful of how you light your work space'. I shifted my lamp a bit too close to the painting... which made it hard to see tonal shifts.

Anyway, stay tuned... coming up next "Watercolour Impasto Medium with Gouache'
Attached Images

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2018, 02:54 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Jacksonville, Florida

These are nicely executed my friend.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2018, 12:57 AM

Of the three, I prefer the first, but they all work well on different levels. You might want to try mixing egg yolk and water in for a tempera effect (there are some online descriptions of how to do it). Nicely done, enjoy experimenting.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2018, 05:11 AM
Lord of the Arts
Norddeutschland

Hails from Germany

Great job!

Joachim