WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing > Framing Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2018, 02:37 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States
What is the purpose of the common paper backing on a framed oil painting?

I guess it's for keeping dust off the back of the canvas, but I'm not sure. One person I asked said the backing is just to make the back look neat, and that it isn't really necessary.

If it is necessary, can someone let me know what the paper backing is called - "paper backing" perhaps? And also where I could find more information on what paper to use and hot to attach it. TIA!

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2018, 02:45 PM

Re: What is the purpose of the common paper backing on a framed oil painting?

Keep roaches out.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2018, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member
Clinton, MA

Hails from United States

There's good & bad reasons for it. In the case of stretched canvas, a dust cover makes it inconvenient to access the corner keys for adjusting tension. However, it does help protect the back from dust, cobwebs, insects and other stuff that comes along.

Anyway, dust covers are not strictly necessary. They do make the back look finished but have limited protective value, especially paper covers which can easily tear or lift on the edges. Stretched canvas creates a hollow space inside the stretchers, making it inevitable that a hole will get punched in the paper.

It's common practice to cover the back of stretched canvas with a protective board (mat board, coroplast, etc), which does more to protect the piece than paper alone. It also eliminates the hollow space.

As a rule, I cover the back with board and finish with black Tyvek, which is much less likely to tear.

Last I knew, standard practice in some other countries (England, maybe others) was to not bother with a dust cover.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2018, 06:10 PM
Lord of the Arts

I like the idea of Tyvek, even without a rigid backer it would provide significantly more protection from contact damage to the back of the canvas without adding much weight.

Thinking back, I can't recall having ever seen a framed oil painting with a paper backing on it, nor have I ever put one on a framed oil of mine, though I do put paper backings on framed art that is under glass to help keep out bugs and dust.