WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Internet Sales Strategies
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2018, 01:35 AM
Victoria BC Canada

Hails from Canada
CRM software?

I took a hiatus from making art for a few years, but now I'm back in the game and I'm new to this site. My hiatus saw me through a decade in IT/business, so I'm a bit of a software geek and I know that there's usually software already built to do the tedious things that I don't want to do manually.

Do any of you use CRM software? (Customer Relationship Management)
I was looking for one tailored to artists and I came across Artspring. I signed up for an account, but I don't know if I like it. I found adding a "collection" a bit confusing and then when I went to add prices to my art, it didn't have Canadian dollars as an option.

The features I'm really looking for are:

1. a database of my own artworks where I can track if they're sold or not, what the price is, where it is (is it in a show? my basement? someone bought it? etc) and if I have prints available.

2. Customer list

3. To Do list - or more like, who needs a follow-up call, or art sent out to them...

What do you use to keep track of your customers and your work?

I also found this page with a few options listed, though they're meant for general business, not specifically art.
https://www.creativeboom.com/resourc...siness-owners/
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2018, 09:42 AM
Wiltshire, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: CRM software?

I would have thought 1 was a fairly simple spreadsheet, to which you might want to add a front end for data entry.

Customer list is perhaps best managed via something like Mailchimp which is free unless you have a large list.

For 3, I use a phone app called Todoist, which is also accessible on my PC and I also use Google Keep as a free form notes database. You could also use Google Calendar which has reminders built in. Slightly more complex would be a package called InfoSelect, which I used for several years dating back to DOS days. A free clone (or very close as far as I can see) is called AllMyNotes
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2018, 08:38 PM
Victoria BC Canada

Hails from Canada

Ahh ok. I wondered if that might be the solution, to mix and match tools and turn it into a combo that works.

I do use Google calendar and I'd be lost without it. I just keep getting leads for shows, people that want commissions, and I feel like I've got notes everywhere and I'm scared I'll forget.

I have to admit, I haven't tried Mailchimp but maybe I'll give that a try too. Thanks!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2018, 02:30 AM
Victoria BC Canada

Hails from Canada

On a recommendation from an entrepreneurial friend, I think I'm going to try Pipedrive for a bit. There's a free trial of it that you can extend to a 21 day trial by using the coupon code: iamsmart

Here's the link to Pipedrive
There's a video of the features on the site. It looks handy, but I'll see if it really does what I'm expecting it to.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2018, 07:14 PM
A WC! Legend
Rabun Gap, GA

Hails from United States

This site might offer some options for you.

https://www.capterra.com/art-gallery-software/

C & C always welcome!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2018, 06:00 PM
Greensboro, NC

Hails from United States
Smile Re: CRM software?

Ugh, accidentally deleted my first message. Here goes.

The first one I ran into I was really impressed by is London-based ArtLogic. They are planning on offering a version tailored just for sole-prop Artists at an estimated $50 per month. All their gear is art-related, which is super cool. You can also sign up for a sweet demo version! I wish it were half that price, since I'm really only just making a real go of things this year and money is an issue.

The second one that might fit the bill is Square. They aren't just a sales device portal and receipt management cashiering bit anymore - they will track your clients and there are also email blasts available. I just looked into that last night a bit so I don't have much more to say about that, but I do want something cohesive and not be all over the place! Social media connection and app ability is ideal.

I have made some spreadsheets but my knowledge there isn't extensive. I'm afraid of pushing a button and deleting something important. Sometimes you just want/need to do things quickly and not worry as much.

Can't wait to see what we can find!! Cheers!!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2018, 06:06 PM
Greensboro, NC

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanislandgirl
I took a hiatus from making art for a few years, but now I'm back in the game and I'm new to this site. My hiatus saw me through a decade in IT/business, so I'm a bit of a software geek and I know that there's usually software already built to do the tedious things that I don't want to do manually.

I was in my hiatus too for ten years! Had a baby, moved to a different state, all that. Started painting again in 2014, now it's official as of this year. Just got my business checking account last week. Whoop whoop!

There was another one I'm trying to remember I ran across a month ago, also geared toward artists. It was mostly red colored...related to a book, I think. If I remember it, I'll post it for ya.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2018, 06:09 PM
Greensboro, NC

Hails from United States

Ah. Here it is. GYST - Getting Your Sh*t Together, for Artists. Go to Products > Software. https://www.gyst-ink.com/ The concept seems good, but I have a really hard time looking at all that red. Hard on my eyes. Maybe it would be okay for somebody else, but I can't stare at it too long.

Last edited by AGunterhaus : 09-03-2018 at 06:12 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2018, 06:02 PM
Victoria BC Canada

Hails from Canada

Oh thanks! I'll have a look at all those links and see if anything will do the trick!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2018, 01:50 AM
Victoria BC Canada

Hails from Canada

I still haven't had a chance to check out those links, but I randomly stumbled across this tool tonight: Airtablehttps://airtable.com/product

It's basically just a spreadsheet I guess, but it allows for pictures in the cells, which could be handy for tracking artwork. There's also a free tier.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2018, 12:47 PM
Land of Stormy Clouds

Hails from United States

Apps, software and clouds people make are not future proof. Companies like that come and go, or change their services completely. I've been there and done that for more than 25 years with computing. And every year or so things change. The problem inevitably makes you constantly re-enter EVERYTHING each time you have to change services.

The best solution, is just use the native apps/software from a computer or tablet, and make it how you want. This solution is ugly as sin, but extremely reliable.

Look, in other words, I still have Excel spreadsheets from my first laptop in 1999 that work just fine on my iPad. Can you get my database going from the stupid ArtButler program from seven years ago? No, you can't.

I just use an Apple iPad with contacts, to-dos, Pages and Numbers.. I used to use Microsoft's office products, they work just fine too. You can easily swap information between the three platforms as necessary.

Hope this helps.