WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Internet Sales Strategies
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2018, 06:17 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States
Handmade at Amazon - Fee Waived til 2020

Just announced today.

This is the basic $39.99 monthly fee, all other fees are still in effect.

If you're thinking of selling your art there, no better time than now to apply!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2018, 10:08 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States
Re: Handmade at Amazon - Fee Waived til 2020

I wish I could work through that. From what I can tell, my art would not sell there. And the mugs can't be sold through Amazon Handmade because they don't qualify, even though there are people selling mugs they have made on it. I just wouldn't want to deal with the wrath of Amazon when they found out I broke their rules. They are unforgiving. I can sell my mugs through Amazon Pro, but I want to have more designs ready first.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2018, 09:37 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

How can you tell your art won't sell there? People buy a LOT of prints via Amazon.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2018, 10:10 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

When I do a search for my keywords, stuff that comes up is way too cheap for me to compete. Like ten bucks for 8.5 x 11". Much stuff printed on old dictionary pages with an ordinary color printer. I think I would have to find a very narrow niche to compete against that sort of thing.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2018, 02:12 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Same as the competition with my art prints. yet somehow they are found and purchased there, and I charge about what you do.

And recently have gotten a couple of collectors who seek my new listings out and buy them.

I'm about to do fba for my most popular prints.

Since it costs nothing but time to list, I just went for it and have been pleasantly surprised.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2018, 08:19 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Well, that is good to hear! I have been reading on their forums how fba can mean a quintupling of sales. Keep us posted.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2018, 10:52 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I just finished applying for Amazon Handmade to sell my prints. It looks like they are taking some steps to ensure that manufacturers are not part of it--I had to provide photos of my workspace and "machinery" (my printer). I hope I get approved. If they do approve it, I guess I will keep printing on my Epson instead of dropshipping from gicleetoday.com.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2018, 11:21 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

Google can only find 2 posts about fees and it says waived till end of 2018..
Do you have to be a selling member already to see the newest information on the fee deal?

Google found this on Amazon sellercentral forum-
[From a fee perspective, an Individual Seller is assessed a $0.99 per unit fee when you sell. A Professional Seller waives this and replaces it with a fixed $39.99 monthly fee. So, simply focusing on fees, if you plan or are going to sell more than 40 items a month, the per item fee that is saved will pay for the fixed monthly fee. All units sold above 40 in a month results in an additional $0.99 in savings to you. All other fees are the same, regardless of selling plan chosen.]
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2018, 01:00 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

It was in an email.

Handmade fees are not the same as regular seller fees. Many things are different.

At any rate, there IS not $39.99 for Handmade for another year, so a good time to try it out.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2018, 08:52 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Well, they said it would take a week to approve me or not for Handmade, but they just sent an email that said I am approved. Down side is that because I have an individual seller account which I use to sell books every couple of years, they demand I upgrade that account to Amazon Pro, which is 39.99/mo and they will not approve me for Handmade until I do that. I don't need the Amazon Pro account yet. I was going to get one for the mugs, but I wanted to wait until I had more designs, which would hopefully mean I would sell more, enough to cover that monthly charge and then some. It seems a bit crappy of them to do this. There is nothing about them not charging the 39.99/mo for Handmade, either. I can't afford $80/mo to sell on Amazon.

Also, this reminds me that it takes them at least 3 weeks to pay me when I make a sale. They always keep a "reserve," even though I have had that account for years and have all five-star reviews and have not had any chargebacks. I sold some books in the middle of June and still have not been paid for them yet.

Last edited by Harold Roth : 07-07-2018 at 08:56 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2018, 10:56 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Sure thing, they charged me that $39.99 immediately. Forget that.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2018, 12:42 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

Maybe only some are getting that fee waived email..
I couldn't find any info on it..
I'd prefer to find out about specifics before signing up..
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2018, 01:05 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I would call support, Harold.

It's been a long time, but I had to do the same thing, and they straightened it out for me.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2018, 01:21 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

jmw, here is the email I got. F

ee Waiver Update
Thank you for being a part of Amazon Handmade and offering your unique, handcrafted items to millions of Amazon Customers. We are pleased to announce that we will continue to waive the standard $39.99 monthly Professional Selling Plan subscription fee for Handmade Artisans through December 31, 2019. Our goal is to make it accessible for you to pursue your passion and grow your business on Handmade.
You will not need to make any changes to your account to take advantage of this fee extension.

We hope that today's announcement will help you achieve these goals!
--
I don't see where it excludes new handmade sellers, but who knows? I'd call if I was really interested because I couldn't find it "out" in public, either.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2018, 06:54 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

Robin, it was an awful mess. Amazon has made it incredibly difficult to find actual contact info, like a phone number or even email form, if you are in SellerCentral or whatever they call it. It was a long drawn-out mess.

Finally today Handmade actually called me twice. What a difference compared to regular Amazon customer service, where it's a call center in Pakistan and they are reading off a script. They were very helpful and got everything straightened out for me. So that won me over. They also told me that actually I could sell the mugs on Handmade, not just my prints. Their basic rule is 50% handmade by the seller. So the fact that I paint the images that Printful prints on my mugs and ships is sufficient. That is nice to find out. I can try selling everything all on one place.