WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2018, 02:16 PM
Santo Stephano Italy

Hails from Italy
My plywood sign

My studio sign
I am opening my studio here in Italy to the public this June. I am not used to working in large formats as most of my work as an engraver is very small and detailed. Here is my sign for the front of the studio. It measures 3ftx6ft and is painted with acrylics on marine grade plywood. I have sealed it with a clear spray acrylic, in hopes that the sun and rain will not be too harsh on it.
If you have any suggestions in prolonging its existence I will be most grateful. The color difference at the top is caused from the shadow of my balcony
Attached Images

Last edited by josephxengraver : 05-17-2018 at 02:22 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2018, 04:16 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States
Re: My plywood sign

That's beautiful!

I've had acrylic signs last for years, I live by the Mississippi River, our temps range from the -30C in the winter to 40C plus humidity in the summer. It's pretty harsh but a couple layers of a clear coat works well. With that being marine grade plywood, it should last a good long bit.

Good luck and congratulations on your studio.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2018, 08:54 AM
Enthusiast
Lake Dallas, Texas

Hails from United States
Re: My plywood sign

Joseph, my cautionary thought concerning using a protective spray is that the protection would be so very thin. The outside elements will be attacking that thin barrier of protection. I would go back with a brush on clear. By the way, you are a very good artist as your work details.